New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    my ride is a 4x2 pickup.

From standstill, especially at inclined roads, the clutch shudders but once the vehicle moves, nawawala na. Nangyayari lang ito during standstill.

Ano kaya diperensiya nito?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
    my ride is a 4x2 pickup.

From standstill, especially at inclined roads, the clutch shudders but once the vehicle moves, nawawala na. Nangyayari lang ito during standstill.

Ano kaya diperensiya nito?

May I ask. How long you've been driving an stickshift?

Sounds like you may have worn the clutch prematurely. Are you a clutch rider? At the lower gears it take's a little more for the engine to turn the tranny and your clutch is slipping. It won't do it in the higher gears cause by then your going good and theres less resistance. Don't drive with your foot resting on the clutch even just a little bit can cause it to slip, also, when stopped on a hill, don't hold the clutch halfway to hold you in place all your doing there is burning the crap out of your clutch.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    It could also be due to a worn or stucked up release bearing. At an incline, you tend to rev the engine up a little higher to move the vehicle. But since the release bearing couldn't match the rpm of the engine when you step on the clutch, it shudders. Once you have engaged the gear and released the clutch, the release bearing is disengaged and the shuddering stops.

At level ground, you don't rev as high to move the vehicle so the release bearing could still match the rpm of the engine, thus it does not shudder.

Best way to test this is to rev the engine high at level ground then step on the clutch. If it shudders, then you've found the culprit. If it does not, then it may be a worn clutch as v6dreamer said.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Apart from the clutch system, check your u-joints for play, both of them, tranny and differential side. Also, if leaf spring, check shackle bushings.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I've been driving a stick shift for about 11 years already. The vehicle is already 10 years old.

I just thought if it's a slipping clutch, the vehicle wouldn't experience shuddering, just a difficulty to accelerate it.

I will try FWC's suggestion and i'll post my findings later.

I already checked the rear axle joints and the rubber on the center bearing and found nothing unusual.

Thanks a lot to all those who took time to share their comments.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by FWC View Post
    It could also be due to a worn or stucked up release bearing. At an incline, you tend to rev the engine up a little higher to move the vehicle. But since the release bearing couldn't match the rpm of the engine when you step on the clutch, it shudders. Once you have engaged the gear and released the clutch, the release bearing is disengaged and the shuddering stops.

At level ground, you don't rev as high to move the vehicle so the release bearing could still match the rpm of the engine, thus it does not shudder.

Best way to test this is to rev the engine high at level ground then step on the clutch. If it shudders, then you've found the culprit. If it does not, then it may be a worn clutch as v6dreamer said.

Tried this, no shudder.Revved the engine up to 3k rpm. Ergo, it's a worn clutch.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sounds like a worn clutch.

Don't forget to replace the other parts around it also since the tranny will already be apart anyway.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    don't forget to send the flywheel to the machine shop for a smooth sailing .

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Sounds like a worn clutch.

Don't forget to replace the other parts around it also since the tranny will already be apart anyway.

Oo nga, planning to replace the oil seals also, may leak na kasi. Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    don't forget to send the flywheel to the machine shop for a smooth sailing .
    Agree with this. Or it could also be a warped pressure plate.

The clutch may not be worn out completely since it could still accelerate and ascend steep inclines. But if you have a roughened up flywheel or a warped pressure plate (also called clutch cover), then it causes the shudder when you are changing gears. When you release the clutch pedal and the pressure plate clamps up the clutch against the flywheel, it disappears.

At any rate, isa lang talaga ibig sabihin niyan. Clutch overhaul time na.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
clutch shudder from standstill