New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    pardon me, tsikoteers. I dont know where to post this thread so dito ko muna ilalagay.

Anyway, I'd like to ask those who are familiar with honda civic cars. I plan to buy a 2nd hand civic 96 vti.

I have already arranged a meet-up with the seller this weekend to see his car. Can you give me some tips on what to look for or inspect in his car? engine, suspension, exterior, interior? wala kasi akong mayaya na mekaniko to go with me. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the same as in any car.

a. rev it, check for smoke, leaks inside the engine bay, temperature, aircon
    b. suspension, check the braking, check for unusual sounds, check handling, steering, etc.
    c. exterior, check the body for rusts, for uneven paints, etc.
    d. interiors, check electricals, lights, switches, wipers, radio, condition of the sidings, etc.

try to drive it on smooth roads, on uneven roads, on roads with humps, etc.
    kung taga south ka lang, sinamahan na kita eh.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    maganda sana kung may kasama kang mekaniko ,yung trusted mo kahit bayaran mo na lang yung araw niya .

mechanics can spot things easily without hesitations.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check for leaks sa shocks at lagatok sa harap (may worn out bushings yan).
    crumpled plate number = nabangga na yan malamang.
    goodluck sir.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    for leverage, you can check the status of the ff:
    power retractable antenna
    working power windows (especially the rear ones)
    aircon
    power locks
    flawed idling (could mean a damaged iacv or just a simple case of a dirty iacv & throttle body)

for its general body condition, check for "alon" on its paint. if its present, it may indicate body repair done before. same goes if you check for "tunog lata ang kaha". to do this, just walk around the car and do some light tapping on it in order to check if the sound your knocking produces is muffled or not. if it is, malamang nilagyan na ng masilya iyon and that may mean that that particular panel may be less than perfect, indicating repair done on its body or paint. also, look for the possible presence of rust on its wheel wells (inside & out)

btw, check for bulutong on its roof, older civic cars may have that problem too
    Last edited by baludoy; August 11th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    bring a mechanic if you don't know what to look for.

civic vti