New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    userfriendly and kbr, mga sir thanks for the reply. i appreciate it.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    question to longtime honda A/T users: i've read a lot of threads about the negative effects of not using the specified ATF, is this true. will my honda A/T have a shorter life if i will use other ATF brands?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    IMO, ATF is manufactured to a certain standard and does not differ in composition regardless of brand. Meaning cheap petron ATF will perform the same as a more expensive brand. Provided that both are Dexron III. There is a difference in performance between mineral DEX III ATF and synthetic Dex III ATF. Synthetic supposed to be a lot better.

However, there are different specifications. They are not compatible. So you can not use Dex III if your manual specifies something else like Type F. Using the wrong type ATF can cause tranny problems.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it's ok to use dex3 on the tranny... drain it well and if possible do consecitive drain/refills to get all the dirty atf out.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Questions po, mga masters! ang ride ko po is a 96 corolla GLi A/T, at 90+T kms odo reading na. My question is, since di ko pa nakuha yung history nito as far as the ATF is concerned, ano basis ko for an ATF change? Based on the oil from the dip stick, somewhere between pinkish and lighter brown na yung color. Wla pa din naman akong nararamdamang shifting problems (delay, harsh, etc). Pero my gut feel is teeling me to change ATF na kahit sabi ng mechanic ko (who happens to be my brother-in-law), eh ok pa daw naman yun.

Also, meron bang shops nn nagi-specialize in AT's na merong free check-up? Yung hnde po nana-naga ng mga di gaanong marunong sa kotse (hehheh).
    And for those who have tried changing the ATF of their big body corollas, how many liters did you consume?

Thanks a lot and I really appreciate whatever help you can extend.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    imo, when in doubt palitan mo nalang if you wanna play it safe.

the number of liters you will consume depends if you are doing a simple drain/refill or a transtech sort of procedure.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    May Filter ba yung A/T ng Nissan Sentra Series 3? How do I Check for the ATF naka start ba or naka patay yung Engine?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    This is normally the way to check ATF level.

1. Drive your car to warm engine to normal operating temp.
    2. Park on level ground, keep engine running through entire procedure.
    3. Engage hand brake.
    4. Step on brake.
    5. Shift to P and hold for 2 to 3 seconds, do the same to the rest of the gears. So P R N D 3 2 1.
    6. Open hood, locate ATF dipstick. Note not the same as oil dipstick.
    7. Pull ATF dipstick and look at the color. Should be redish, if brown or black it may be time to change.
    8. Smell it, should not smell burnt. If it smells burnt, replace it.
    9. Wipe dipstick on clean white rag or tissue. Inspect for solid particles.
    10. Insert dipstick and hold for few seconds.
    11. Pull out and check level. Should be between high and low mark.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    that's a pretty good list. follow it and you should be fine for checking the atf.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    haha! that should be ko na. RP also has full syn atf in case you're interested.
    Speedyfix, I have a 96 Accord EXI A/T using Petron mineral ATF. I'd like to try your RP ATF & have a few questions; 1] How much for an RP ATF change? 2] Do we need to flush out the old mineral ATF completely? I'm using RP motor oil & got beeter FC.

Best ATF for high mileage automatic transmission?