New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Dear All,

I was driving along EDSA this morning when the aircon of my 1998 Besta 2.2 went on the blink. Just hot air blowed out the vents. According to a shop the magnetic clutch of my aircon compressor just burned intself out. Anyway, they say the magnetic clutch is not replaceable as itself only and I have to buy a new P25,000.00 whole compressor unit. They also say that I have to do a P6,000 general overhaul of the system since the conmpressor will be replaced.

I dont have P31,000....

Where I can I bring my Besta 2.2 to have just the magnetic clutch repaired or replaced?

What are my options?

Look forward to your invaluable assistance.

dlv

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    i have no experience with besta parts. but, i think thats overkill. a ford expedition new compressor from casa cost 35t. and for a honda around 11t to 12t brand new.

im guessing you look for other aircon shops.

marami surplus. in good condition and with warranty na option.

blowing hot air could mean nag High Pressure lang yung High (H) Line Mo. could be due to several reasons. one of them is heat. and also baka marumi lang yung a/c lines mo. or your aux fan is defective. those can easily be remedied. kung madumi lang lines. palit lang ng expansion valve and drier and flushing of the whole a/c lines. less than 3.5t for honda cars like mine.

2nd opinion ka muna sir.

add ko lang sir. too know if the line is nag high pressure. splash water thru the condenser. pag lumamig ang a/c. yun na yun.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    mang mario lang katapat nyan.

sa hi ace ko 2x na ako nag palit ng magnetic clutch. surplus nga lang, 2500 labor and materials na. pero kung di madudukot at kelangan ibaba compressor dagdag ka talaga for freon and labor.

had a besta before, kahit anong gawin di talga kaya palamigin cabin lalo na pag tanghaling tapat. mahina masyado blowers...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Miks Auto Aircon Sales & Services - price ng brand new compressor( original ) 19th
    rewind of magnetic compressor ( any brand ) - 1,500 hundred pesos.
    surplus compressor bihira na at mahirap na makakita niyan since BESTA Van still using R12 na freon gas phase out na sa black market na lang nakabili ng ganyan klase ng gas.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    try mo si mang mario. tanungin mo rin si Doc OTEP (username: OTEP), may besta yun at magaling sa mga auto related stuff.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wala na yung Besta (RIP 2000 ). Hindi ako nagkaron ng problem with the magnetic clutch on it. Pero with other vehicles, yes, replaceable ang MC.

Sobrang mahal naman ng estimate na iyan. Care to post the name of the shop? Even shops which charge at average industry standards will not charge that high.

But same as impulzz, medyo mahina talaga a/c ng Besta. Product of design din yung kahinaan. The blower unit itself is not that strong and the rear a/c evaporator (aka cooling coil) of the Besta sits almost OUTSIDE of the vehicle, sa ilalim, behind the driver's seat. It's only covered by a plastic housing kaya bago pa makadating yung lamig sa a/c vents minsan natatalo na.

Get a 2nd opinion. Try our Workshop forums to see any recommended shops in your area. Happy trails!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    DLV,

Itanong mo sa shop kung paano nasunog ang magnet ng aircon clutch?
    First possible problem is maluwag ang alternator belt giving insufficient voltage to activate the magnet.
    Second is malayo masyado ang clearance ng clutch ng aircon that is why the magnet cannot engage attraction. Ako pinupupok ko yung (3)fingers towards the plate para lumapit ang clearance.
    kung may relay ang A/C mo check it. Try mo recta sa battery to be sure. But check first the clearance of the clutch.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    to all that have responded (baker123, impulzz, oilslick, otep and 4Jtootsie).......salamat po. This is my closing report on my aircon problem.

I finally had the aircon of my van repaired during last last weekend. I had a good family friend (he does our ref and house aircon) of ours pull down the compressor. Unfortunately after viewing the damage to the magnetic clutch, I found it more prudent to get a replacement. The old compressor was for R12 and since I upgraded to 134A about 4 years ago, I think that shortened the compressors life.

The replacement, which was a direct equivalent, was a Doowon 10PA17C. I think this is manufactured under license by Denso to Doowon Cimate Control in Korea. Anyway this new compressor is now rated for 134A. Usual works in this compressor replacement were flushing of the system and replacement of the filter dryer. After installation the aircon was great. The engine also had a less difficult time running. I guess luma na talaga yung original. My 98 Besta 2.2 actually has 83K plus on its odometer already.

As suggested by the contributors....I am continuing my insulation works of the van. I already finished the flooring and the headliner so I will have to move on to the aircon ducting below the van and up thru its side. Hope I would be able to make my ride last forever.

Costs....the new compresssor put me back P12K while the rest of the works and the new dryer cost me P4K. My friend gave me 15 days to pay which I think is ok. This is much better than that other shop that asked me for P32K.

have a good day and a safe ride to all!!!!!!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    oops...thanks din kay horsepower

Aircon Magnetic Clutch