New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hi,

I own a vr4 95 galant, problem is, sometimes the transmission won't engage from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes even requiring a 5K to 6K RPM before engaging to the next gear. Minsan naman, ok ang shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th, but mas madalas na hindi sya nagshi2ft agad.
    Usually, around 3K na RPM, but 60 kph pa lang ang takbo ko, so you could imagine how stress the engine is, pati na sa fuel consumption.

What do you guys recommend na magandang gawin dito?
    Will changing ATF and filter help?
    Or is this a impending sign of a transmission that is about to fail.

thanks and best regards,
    Riken

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    those are notoriously weak transmissions... pero try to replace the atf muna.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riken View Post
    Hi,

I own a vr4 95 galant, problem is, sometimes the transmission won't engage from 2nd to 3rd, sometimes even requiring a 5K to 6K RPM before engaging to the next gear. Minsan naman, ok ang shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th, but mas madalas na hindi sya nagshi2ft agad.
    Usually, around 3K na RPM, but 60 kph pa lang ang takbo ko, so you could imagine how stress the engine is, pati na sa fuel consumption.

What do you guys recommend na magandang gawin dito?
    Will changing ATF and filter help?
    Or is this a impending sign of a transmission that is about to fail.

thanks and best regards,
    Riken

Have it flushed. Flushing clear ups the clog and residue left over, the difference between changing the ATF and flushing is when you just change the ATF all the residue remains unlike with flushing it fully cleans the inside.
    Now if flushing still does not solve the problem, (does your ATF looks burned?) Have it overhauled. It cost a little bit more than buying a surplus transmission but it will run good as new. The problem with surplus is you would not know if the plates inside are still good or not burned, you have no assurance how long it will last unlike with overhauling with a brand new rebuilding kit your transmission will run just like when you first bought your car.
    Last edited by theveed; May 8th, 2007 at 12:02 PM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hi betchiej,

Thanks for the reply.
    The ATF doesn't look burned at all, it's still very reddish in color. But recently I noticed that it seems ATF is leaking somewhere from the transmission since I am noticing a few drops of ATF once in a while.
    Can you give me an idea on how much a transmission overhaul will cost? (kaba)
    They say 20K ang transmission na ito sa banawe, is it true?

If the transmission of this model is "notorious" for breaking down, what options do i have? can i get a transmission upgrade or something?

thanks and best regards

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    If there is a leak there must be an o'ring or an oil seal that is busted. If the ATF is not burned you might not need an overhaul. Its much too expensive the rebuilding kit alone may cost you at around 9k plus the labor.
    Surplus transmission depends on availability its cheaper if there are a lot of stocks around if there is a shortage of supply it would be more expensive. That is how surplus shops operates but if there is a high influx of imports and you know"chop-chops" it will be lower. 20k sounds just right but you could get it lower pa depende on availability. Mine is a lancer glx I had my car converted from manual to automatic,(originally from a lancer gti though i am not sure if the galant has the same transmission as that of the gti) I got it for only 14k along with the converter.
    Last edited by theveed; May 8th, 2007 at 12:02 PM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hi Betchiej,

Thanks for the reply.

Use PM for private transactions.
    Last edited by theveed; May 8th, 2007 at 12:03 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    have you tried smelling the ATF fluid? if it has a sweet smell then maybe you don't have a big problem... but if it has a burnt aroma, then your AT is pretty much done for.

I've had this car and I know your woes...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    hi need4speed,

I haven't really tried smelling the ATF, I will probably do it after work, may extra castrol ATF naman sa bahay, at least may basis ako ng amoy ng hindi sunog. Thanks for the tip!

Anyway, pinagbili mo na ba ang galant mo?
    i've been thinking about it also, pero napamahal na din sa akin yung auto eh .

best regards

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yeah sold it a long long time ago.

1995 Galant VR4 automatic transmission problem