New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DZ621 View Post
    But that's not the way the world works. When you read a book, it's in one single language, not a mixture of languages. The same applies to newspapers, and audio/visual media as well (movies, music, radio etc). All of these are in separate languages. You don't see a movie with one line of dialogue in one language, and then the next in another (well, maybe movies over there are like that, but I've never seen one).
    Have you been to Singapore? They also think and speak in a mix of different languages. English, Mandarin, Fookien, Malay, Indian.
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    To me this seems very unusual. Why would you write a few words in English, then a few words in a different language, and then go back to English again? Wouldn't it make more sense to be consistent and stick with just 1 language?
    it's called TAGLISH, bebe, woootttt!

wait until you read JEJEMON, nyahahaha :hysterical:

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Ok, I'm from Australia and I stumbled across this forum inadvertently. As I was reading the posts, I noticed that alot of people type one sentence in English, and another sentence in... some other language (I'm guessing Philipino ? (not sure of spelling, sorry)?

To me this seems very unusual. Why would you write a few words in English, then a few words in a different language, and then go back to English again? Wouldn't it make more sense to be consistent and stick with just 1 language?
    We're just that talented. Naturally linguist... hehehe
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    But that's not the way the world works. When you read a book, it's in one single language, not a mixture of languages. The same applies to newspapers, and audio/visual media as well (movies, music, radio etc). All of these are in separate languages. You don't see a movie with one line of dialogue in one language, and then the next in another (well, maybe movies over there are like that, but I've never seen one).
    Books do not converse, they just tell. That is why they are not multilingual. But find any chinese made electronic gadgets, they have more than what you want in terms of different instructions.

Forumers here are not all that good and english so sometimes we need to say it local tongue so they'll understand better esp if it's about a critical problem with their ride, mate.

Even Bucth Chase (owner of Kinabuch Restaurant), an australian himself learned a tagalog and a local dialect in our place so that he can conduct better business with the locals. Just an example of knowing more than 1 language...
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    but we arent writing books here. or newspaper articles

this is an informal setting

and i guess everyone here can understand both english and tagalog

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The board is an informal place, which is why there are no strict language rules.

We encourage people to type in English because we do have foreigners here (though I know more Brits and Americans than Aussies) and it's easier for them to navigate if it's in English... but we converse easily in both.

Also, it's very hard to convey technical information in Tagalog. Why try to create crappy translations for words like "idle air control valve" when you can just say it in English with less trouble?

You'll notice this also on Singaporean boards... they use English for technical messages, then lapse into Singaporean to convey emotional or personal information. I bet if Chinese and English didn't have such differing alphabets, there'd be a mix, too.

Why complain? Our bilingual system allows native English speakers to browse around.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    That is just the way it is done here. A mix of languages. Sometimes two languages, some even three.
    which is, this joke suddenly came into my mind:

Q: "how do you call a person who only knows one language?"
    A: "american".

this might be applicable also to the TS.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez View Post
    it's called TAGLISH, bebe, woootttt!

wait until you read JEJEMON, nyahahaha :hysterical:
    hey mate.. i don't know ausies here in the board i do know one personally

yes you need to read jejemon :rofl: it's also a mix of Filipino and English but it's more complicated than what you could think of :hysterical:

BTT: it's part of the Filipino culture already to speak in two or more languages. one factor is probably the colonial history of the country as what others noted. there are situations that some english expressions or cliches do not have Filipino counterparts so we use english. sometimes it's the other way around, there are some Filipino expressions that has no english equivalent so we stick to our native language. it depends on the situation really.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    also most filipinos grew up with some other language other than pilipino, like visayan, ilokano, chinese (for chinese filipinos) or spanish (some regions speak a form of spanish called chabacano). so in reality a lot of us do think, speak and write in 3 or more languages. so what is not normal for the rest of the world is quite normal to us.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    This board is informal that's why it doesn't require forumers to speak in straight English or in straight Tagalog. But that's it. TXT speak, jejemon et. al are usually prohibited.

To add, not all Filipinos are good at using English. Most of us are used to reading, conversing using our native tongue.

Foreigners are welcome, though. That's why whenever we see some of them around we usually send our posts in straight English. It wont hurt you to ask us a favor to speak in our 2nd language which is English when it's needed. Just so you are informed ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Why do you people write in English and ... ??