New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MACpod View Post
    hehe. oonga. ang babaho pa nila! ang aantot! inggit lang sila sating mga pinoy!
    It's probably unfair to knock em for having smelly armpits. If their culture/religion forbids the use of deodorants, then they can't help it.

I would be careful about bringing it (or anything else damaging) up because I'm sure there's an "insult law" in place there which is common in many Islamic countries. That probably includes covering your nose because of their odor.

I'd probably avoid altogether discussing the subject with the people over there because the likelihood of insulting a Muslim is too great which can earn you some jail time. He may be Lebanese, even a Christian one at that. But, you never know if the local authorities may bend the rules.

Add: Be careful about being drawn to such discussions. You never know if you're being set up to say something you'll regret later. When I was in that region, I just nodded and played dumb when asked about my heritage. I had no desire to be put on international hold. Why tempt fate?
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; April 30th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Yup parang racist ka na. Anyway, ang mga pinoy kasi born creative talaga. Example na lang ung jeep. Ung mga improvised FX and stuff. Dapat sinabi mo tayo kasi universal, kahit anong language kaya matutunan and madami pa.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    maybe bec. of his background kaya niya nasabi yan. back in the 50-60's, alam ko one of the richest countries ang Lebanon, yun tipong magaganda places, cars, bars etc. then nagka-civil war sila. and all those nice things they have taken for granted, nawala parang bula. wala naman sinanto bala ng tangke noon. kahit magtago ka sa bato na bahay mo, butas butas sinlalaki ng plangana ang inabot ng artistic walls nila. I even saw a documentary sa isang street nila with neatly parked expensive cars, dinaanan lang ng tangke.

if you will watch the movie Delta Force starring Chuck Norris, post civil war na ang Beirut noon pero Mercedez Benzes are everywhere in Beirut. I believe taxi pa nga nila yun.
    Last edited by oldblue; April 30th, 2007 at 02:34 AM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    It's probably unfair to knock em for having smelly armpits. If their culture/religion forbids the use of deodorants, then they can't help it.
    thanks for the reminder jun but i'm fully aware of decorum and proper parlance when mingling with them. Probably having an idea that mostly my kababayans uses this forum made me so secure that saying those remarks was just to ease out the anxiety caused by that incident. But it doesn't mean the same is being done when dealing with the people here.

My apology to anyone who may be offended.

I guess remembering that moment when my race is being mocked and laughed at by almost everyone in that room without someone to seek relief made me so bitter that I set up this thread. You may not have any idea of the derision that was felt during that time but it will want you to bad-mouth them just to get even, but then again, as a Filipino, there was still a sense of integrity and respect for them for whatever race (or religion, so to speak) they belong to that the situation was handled diplomatically.

I sincerely appreciate your remindert and would even be more careful.

When I was in that region, I just nodded and played dumb when asked about my heritage. I had no desire to be put on international hold. Why tempt fate?
    I don't think when being asked about one's heritage will probably put himself on a fateful situation. Being proud of where one comes from and facing it with reasonable tact will make him handle such circumstance wisely and subsequently will earn the respect of whoever he is dealing with.

Cheers!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MACpod View Post
    I guess remembering that moment when my race is being mocked and laughed at by almost everyone in that room without someone to seek relief made me so bitter that I set up this thread. You may not have any idea of the derision that was felt during that time but it will want you to verbally bad-mouth them just to get even, but then again, as a Filipino, there was still a sense of integrity and respect for them for whatever race (or religion, so to speak) they belong to that the situation was handled diplomatically.

I sincerely appreciate your remindert and would even be more careful.
    I didn't realize they were that bad. It's been a looong time since I was in that part of the world. But back then, the locals didn't have an insulting attitude towards me, at least not up front. It's probably because I was in desert cammies and had a US flag on my shoulder.

I don't think when being asked about one's heritage will probably put himself on a fateful situation. Being proud of where one comes from and facing it with reasonable tact will make him handle such circumstance wisely and subsequently will earn the respect of whoever he is dealing with.

Cheers!
    Those kind of discussions tend to escalate really fast. One thing I learned when I was there is that things aren't always what they appear to be up front. Your "so-called friends" can turn on you on an instant. One minute, you're arguing with one "friend". The next minute, everyone's ganging up on you. That's why I rather keep quiet.

It's hard to play on the road when the home team has all the advantages.....

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I didn't realize they were that bad. It's been a looong time since I was in that part of the world.
    Don't get the incident wrongly. They're not bad. It's just that that person find our inclination towards modifying car appearances really hilarious and illogical.

But back then, the locals didn't have an insulting attitude towards me, at least not up front...
    Yup I think the locals are still watchful of their attitude (keeping my fingers crossed hehe)... Neither were they displaying mortifying behaviour towards me, in fact they really look up on the wit and shrewdness of a Pinoy. It just so happen that the "thing about cars" pulled a controversial discussion between him and me... But we're doing good now (or again).

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    ...missing our dear pinas seems to cover all sorts of issues from car mods to smelly pits- did anybody mentioned balut? Never mind, im getting a lot of those in Mira Mesa,lol. (just trying to lighten up the mood here guys).

If the Philippines has a homegrown auto industry, I'd buy a Philippine-made car. But, the sad reality is there isn't one. So, I just have to suck it up and take it.
    I would do that too even if its gonna be like the infamous exploding ford pinto, yay! Seriously i will. It might not be my daily driver but i would buy one to show my support. I really envy the Japs and Koreans with all themarket shares theyre getting in the car industry-theyve gone a long long way. Speaking of mods, this is the first one that I did on my Xterra (this decal added 10hp to my X haha)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ uy nice stickers

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Xterra26 View Post
    ...missing our dear pinas seems to cover all sorts of issues from car mods to smelly pits- did anybody mentioned balut? Never mind, im getting a lot of those in Mira Mesa,lol. (just trying to lighten up the mood here guys).
    wow! sarap ng balut! hehe. i've seen tina of bb slovenia, nakakatuwa ung reaction nya nung nakita ung sisiw. hehe

it's fine bro, mood here in this forum is great! we get to learn a lot from this and this is very healthy amongst us. i seriously like this site.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    MACpod, dude if you miss pinas soo much and you are at the UAE. Better check this out. Its www.pinoy.ae A bit of a warning though it may cause your fingers to press Ctrl+D.

enjoy kabayan!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
miss ko na pinas!