New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Noong natapos ang phase 1 ng construction. Traffic was greatly reduced kasi nahati ang waiting time ng mga tumatawid ng kalayaan along C5.

Mag go ang east bound, stop. then mag go ang west bond, stop para mag go sa C5. nawala ang stop ng para sa east bound.

Laking ginhawa. Anyway, supposed to be tapos ang project in 3 weeks. konting tiis na lang.

BTW, ito ang rota ko araw araw for the past 3 years.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    I agree but if heavy volume. the system can get congested.

It helps reduce traffic by totaly eliminating traffic lights.
    What's the difference with a true-blue straight flyovers if its congested?

The point of removing those traffic lights is the main idea here, lesser managing. I really just hate it when I see at some intersections to see some enforcers waving their hands manipulating the traffic flow, you don't have the yellow light.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    What's the difference with a true-blue straight flyovers if its congested?

The point of removing those traffic lights is the main idea here, lesser managing. I really just hate it when I see at some intersections to see some enforcers waving their hands manipulating the traffic flow, you don't have the yellow light.
    Cost.

Kung walang traffic light kasi, traffic tend to flow smoother. Imagine edsa before with out the overpasses and underpasses.

dahil sa volume, it can bog down.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post

Cost.

Kung walang traffic light kasi, traffic tend to flow smoother. Imagine edsa before with out the overpasses and underpasses.

dahil sa volume, it can bog down.

Pardon me Sir but I didn't quite get the reasoning behind this.

Cost. - - of what?

Edsa without the overpasses/underpasses? Mess.

Bog down what, the elevated U-turn?

Can you expound a little bit more.

Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Having driven around the area numerous times, I just wonder if those u-turn flyovers is the result of someone's thinking being too narrow?

Why?

How much more would it cost if they would make those u-turn flyovers into true-blue straight overpass flyovers? It would make more sense to make them into something similar to what we have at EDSA/Santolan intersection, right?

So who do we motorists and tax payers behead for this white elephant of a road project?
    Question - don't you think it would be better if you withheld judgement and see how things turn out before complaining?

FYI, I am neither in favor nor against it. Hinay-hinay lang sa init ng ulo...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by creepy View Post
    Question - don't you think it would be better if you withheld judgement and see how things turn out before complaining?
    Maybe if this was a TEMPORARY experiment by the MMDA, well then good. Let them try something new. Unfortunately this is something PERMANENT and costing millions of pesos to build. This is not simply something that can be removed and placed elsewhere if the "experiment" doesn't work out.

And the source of this white elephant of a problem is exactly what you are proposing us to do, to keep silent about it. No one voiced out loud enough at the start of the project saying that the design would have been better if it was made as a standard flyover instead of the elevated u-turns which are wrongly designed to keep traffic smoothly flowing. Why do I know that? Simple, what happens when you squeeze C5's four fast flowing lanes down to two and a half lanes? Congestion!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Pardon me Sir but I didn't quite get the reasoning behind this.

Cost. - - of what?

Edsa without the overpasses/underpasses? Mess.

Bog down what, the elevated U-turn?

Can you expound a little bit more.

Thanks.
    To totally eliminate the traffic light you will need something like the balitawak clover leaf interchange. A much cheaper solution is to use 2 u-turn slots. Unfortunately, we tend to be slow in taking this u turns and trucks may not be accomodated. tapos there will be lanes dedicated for the turn. So ginaya ng MMDa ang concept ng elevated u-turn. Try to compare the cost of 2 elevated u-turns and a clover leaf type of inter change.

Sa may munoz market (di ko na matandaan ang name ng street) sa edsa, mayroon traffic light dyan dati. now they use 2 u-turn slots sa edsa. same din yata sa SM City sa west Ave.

near the kalayaan intersection is a bridge over pasig river. it has 3 lanes each, but in the northbound there is a dedicated lane that goes down to bagong ilog. on the over side a dedicated lane going up the bridge from bagong ilog. under the southern elevated u-turn is actually 3 lanes. At last they have painted don the white boken lines about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure yet if there will be 3 lanes under the norther elevated u-turn.

Any road naman kung sobrang dami ang dadaan, magkakaroon ng tendency to bog down.

Kung nasa ortigas area ka ang you want to go south. To cross pasig river, either you take EDSA or C5. mandaluyong bridge is possible kaso hindi kasing lapad ng EDSa or C5 and daan. manila naman is to far.

To help EDSA and C5, I think there should be a bridge over pasig river between these two.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Altis6453 View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the elevated U-turns generate more traffic rather than alleviate it.
    Racket Scientist nga sila!
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 26th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Di siya totally experiment, matagal ng ginagamit sa ibang bansa ang elevated U turn. At sa ibang bansa like Thailand effective siya.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nayki View Post
    Di siya totally experiment, matagal ng ginagamit sa ibang bansa ang elevated U turn. At sa ibang bansa like Thailand effective siya.
    I am not totally ignorant of the use of the elevated u-turn in other countries. But in other countries, they would allocate the u-turn its own side lanes so it wouldn't block the vehicle flow on the main road. You don't have to zigzag your way around the structure in order to go "straight". Those u-turns in other countries also allocate a long run-up to the actual structure. Those at the C-5 only have a few meters from the intersection for the cars to choose their proper lanes. Not to mention the up-ramp/downramp is located right in the middle of the highway! Its literally an accident waiting to happen.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Those pesky U-turn flyovers at C5 ...