New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I went through the SLEX last Sat on my way to Silangan. Having read about the speed limits, I decided to take advantage of the Skyway by hitting 140-160, but upon reaching Alabang, I activated cruise control at 100kph, stayed on the fast lane and noticed that there were still a lot of morons who hog the overtaking lane, going lower than 100, forcing me to accelerate to 120 on the fast lane para maunahan ko na yung mga tanga. Then, there are still a lot of weavers - cars coming from the slow lane at speeds beyond 100, weaving all the way to the innermost lane. When I got off at Silangan, walang nanghuhuli, making me wish that the idiots I saw got their rude awakening when they got to their toll exits.

For those wondering where the speed traps are located, click on this: Motorists warned of SLEx speed limit | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features

MATES Operations Manager Patrick Nicholas David said 82 closed circuit television or CCTV cameras will monitor the violators.

David added they have been implementing the speed limit before CCTV monitoring but have added 2 laser radar guns.

The speed guns are stationed at 5 marked areas namely: Mamplasan, Southwoods, Greenfield, Silangan and Cabuyao.

Cameras can also capture photographs of cars caught violating the speed limit.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just curious. Given that NLEX also have lots of CCTV cameras to monitor the expressway and whenever I am driving at speeds between 150kph to 200kph, I never got caught at the toll exits.

Of course, this is at least over a year and a half ago, but my main point, I don't think the CCTV would aid much in getting speeding violators caught. If they were effective in catching speeders, why is the SLEX getting two laser/radar speed guns with video capabilities?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Because their CCTVs are just standard CCTVs. I think the main purpose of those CCTVs are to monitor the roads if an accident happens. I don't thinks those cameras are capable of capturing the speed of a vehicle. Kailangan parin ng regular speed guns. Kasi kung capable yan, sobrang dami na dapat nahuhuli.

At bakit pag Sundays walang nanghuhuli? Kung kailan lumalabas ang mga exotics/high-ends na mabibilis magpatakbo..

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I was driving at the SLEX yesterday. Ang dami pa ring nag-ha-hug ng passing lane...

13.7K:faint:

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    I was driving at the SLEX yesterday. Ang dami pa ring nag-ha-hug ng passing lane...

13.7K:faint:
    Nagpapatunay lang na mahina ang implementation natin regarding road rules and a lot of drivers lack the knowledge on these rules. Bat di nila sampolan kahit 2-4 weeks lang ng strict implementation katulad ng ginagawa sa ibang bansa. Example when you're hugging the overtaking lane may patrol agad na bubuntot sayo para warningan ka or hulihin na mismo. Eto kasi ang logic nating mga pinoy eh. Wala naman nanghuhuli kaya ok lang to break rules. Saka na lang tayo susunod pag may nanghuhuli na.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Drove at SLEX yesterday and made a mental note to stay between 80-90 kph, with only occasional bursts to 100 kph to overtake laggards. Observations:
    1. There are still a couple of drivers who definitely exceed 100 kph: I was overtaking a Besta at 100 kph when two SUVs (too fast for me to notice the make) just buzzed by like they were playing tag. And they were weaving all over the place.

2. There are also a lot of sloooooww vehicles hogging the overtaking lane. At one point, I was doing a measly 80-85 kph on the regular lane and I overtook a Honda City that stuck it out on the overtaking lane. Tsk, tsk.

3. Buses are still driven by maniacs weaving all over the place in excess of 100 kph. Can't they stick to their freakin lanes?!

4. Driving 80-90 kph on SLEX is good for the fuel tank, got a Tucson 2.0 Theta II to hit 7.8 L/100 km even with a few overtaking bursts, *lol*

I think the SLEX will stand to benefit from having a bit more visible patrols to discourage the speedsters, weavers, and laggards.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    Drove at SLEX yesterday and made a mental note to stay between 80-90 kph, with only occasional bursts to 100 kph to overtake laggards. Observations:
    1. There are still a couple of drivers who definitely exceed 100 kph: I was overtaking a Besta at 100 kph when two SUVs (too fast for me to notice the make) just buzzed by like they were playing tag. And they were weaving all over the place.

2. There are also a lot of sloooooww vehicles hogging the overtaking lane. At one point, I was doing a measly 80-85 kph on the regular lane and I overtook a Honda City that stuck it out on the overtaking lane. Tsk, tsk.

3. Buses are still driven by maniacs weaving all over the place in excess of 100 kph. Can't they stick to their freakin lanes?!

4. Driving 80-90 kph on SLEX is good for the fuel tank, got a Tucson 2.0 Theta II to hit 7.8 L/100 km even with a few overtaking bursts, *lol*

I think the SLEX will stand to benefit from having a bit more visible patrols to discourage the speedsters, weavers, and laggards.

I don't mind these drivers/vehicles doing more than 100KPH, as they're responsible for their speed.

However, it is a lot safer for them to stay on the passing lane. Let the fast ones get ahead.

So, the real problem here are those drivers hugging the passing lane, whether they're already at 100KPH,- forcing these high speed vehicles to weave in and out to pass them

13.8K:gotcha:

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

I don't mind these drivers/vehicles doing more than 100KPH, as they're responsible for their speed.

However, it is a lot safer for them to stay on the passing lane. Let the fast ones get ahead.

So, the real problem here are those drivers hugging the passing lane, whether they're already at 100KPH,- forcing these high speed vehicles to weave in and out to pass them

13.8K:gotcha:
    I too don't have problems with vehicles going past 100 kph... if they stay on the overtaking lanes. The ones I saw were all over the place and it's not just that they were overtaking the other vehicles... they were like playing tag or simulating a car chase with their antics... too dangerous and stupid.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post

nitong monday huling daan ko sa SLEX papunta NAIA 1, may nakita akong nagkakabit pa ng camera dun pagtapat sa may metropolis/starmall alabang, sa opinion ko lang rin, OUTDATED or LOW TECH yung mga traffic management equipment na gamit sa SLEX, unlike sabi nung kasama ko na galing japan, very accurate talaga ang mga speed radars at cameras nila saka hindi mo makikita kung saan iniligay/naka-mount yung mga camera na yon, kaya pag nag-overspeed ka daw, asahan mo pagdating mo sa toll booth exit e may ticket or penalty ka.

(take note, nakapag 120kph pa ako dun a, banda sa may susana heights area to overtake a nissan urvan)

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    120 km/h is safe. They'll allow for people doing 120 to overtake. It's when you constantly overspeed that they tag you.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
SLEX Speed limit