New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003

As side streets become parking lots, bill seeks to require garages from car buyers
    By DANO TINGCUNGCO, GMA News June 1, 2015 10:46pm

Given Metro Manila's traffic problems, side streets provide motorists a way to sidestep the daily traffic jams. But what if those side streets are turned into parking lots by motorists who do not have garages or any other place to park?

In Barangay Balumbato in San Juan City, residents with neither a garage nor access to a parking lot have no choice but to park on the street. "Agawan [dito], kung sinong unang maka-park, yun na. Pag wala, hahanap ka talaga, doon ka na magpapark sa dulo," Criselda explained.

For motorists weaving through these side streets that have been converted into impromptu parking spaces, driving through is a delicate task that has to be taken slowly and gingerly. "Makitid yung daan, mahirap na pag nasagi kami pa ang mali," a jeepney driver complained.

"If you have a two-lane street, and then one lane is occupied by parked vehicles, of course di mabilis ang daloy ng trapiko. Mangyayari diyan, one on one. The traffic flow is not really smooth, so if you add the delay in one street to another street, that will have a domino effect," Land Transportation Office Spokesman Jason Salvador told GMA News.

And things are likely to get worse before they get better given that, according to LTO figures, 40 percent or about 3.2 million of the total 8 million cars in the whole country are in Metro Manila. Also, this number keeps growing with about 1,000 new registrations per day, close to 600 of which are newly-purchased motor vehicles.

Solutions

In Barangay South Triangle, Quezon City, where the problem is apparent with some streets losing a lane or two of free traffic to cars parked along the street, residents have taken it upon themselves to post “No Parking” signs along sidewalks and their driveways.

The solution could also be in the new legislation lodged in the House of Representatives - House Bill 5098. The bill seeks to require motorists to first own a parking space or garage in their residences before they are allowed to buy a motor vehicle.

"Any financially-able purchaser of a motor vehicle can be presumed to be able to provide a parking facility for their vehicle," the bill's author, Rep. Sherwin T. Gatchalian, said.

Cebu and Davao, are also considering a similar, though local, measure.

The LTO explained that such a measure was not new to the Philippines, but it was reserved for public utility vehicles applying for a Certificate of Public Convenience.

"Before they issue franchises sa would-be for hire vehicles, they check if these vehicles have enough garages. But for privately owned vehicles, I don't think we have data on that kasi di naman natin nire-require," Salvador said.

However, he qualified that while such a measure might be viable, it needed further study as it could infringe on the public's right to mobility.

The Automobile Association of the Philippines, meanwhile, said that regulations on car ownership were technically not violations of the public's right to mobility, especially, if these were aimed at a common public interest such as easing traffic.

But any form of regulation, the AAP said, had to be paired with an alternative for motorists who could be affected by the proposed measures.

AAP President Gus Lagman explained the government should begin by improving the country's mass transit system as a viable alternative to commuters.

"Sana may mga magtayo ng parking buildings,” Lagman added. “Pagka may parking buildings kayo, pwede na nating sabihin ngayon sa mga may kotse na walang paradahan sa kanilang bahay o sa kanilang apartment, bawal na. Kung gusto mo, magrent ka ng parking space, or parking slot, doon sa parking building." — DVM/NB, GMA News

More from: As side streets become parking lots, bill seeks to require garages from car buyers | News | GMA News Online

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    while i would agree to this, i would also like to agree with Gus Lagman's opinion. there has to be infrastructure so as not to limit each person's right to mobility which equates to higher productivity.

kapitbahay namin, bumili ng bagong sasakyan nakabalandra sa kalsada.... yung isa din naming kapitbahay, tatlo ang sasakyan, pero ang garahe, pang isang kotse lang... even in ayala alabang, nakaparada na sa kalsada mga sasakyan.

aside from improving public transportation, there has to be a facility for public parking in each community... bakit hindi dito mag invest ang mga property owners instead of putting up more commercial buildings?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

while i would agree to this, i would also like to agree with Gus Lagman's opinion. there has to be infrastructure so as not to limit each person's right to mobility which equates to higher productivity.

kapitbahay namin, bumili ng bagong sasakyan nakabalandra sa kalsada.... yung isa din naming kapitbahay, tatlo ang sasakyan, pero ang garahe, pang isang kotse lang... even in ayala alabang, nakaparada na sa kalsada mga sasakyan.

aside from improving public transportation, there has to be a facility for public parking in each community... bakit hindi dito mag invest ang mga property owners instead of putting up more commercial buildings?

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Paano yung mga may sasakyan na pero wala din parking? Sa amin ang hirap magpasok at maglabas ng sasakyan gawa ng mga nakapark sa kalsada.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    Paano yung mga may sasakyan na pero wala din parking? Sa amin ang hirap magpasok at maglabas ng sasakyan gawa ng mga nakapark sa kalsada.
    ganyan sa lugar nina ermats. nung dun pa ako nakatira ang hirap pag aalis ka at papasok kasi lagi may nakaparada sa dadaanan mo. yung tito ko na lagi sinisita mga humaharang samin nagsawa na din dahil ang titigas ng ulo ng mga ungas.

sa amin naman pag malapit na ko sa bahay magtetext ako na buksan na yung gate para direcho na ko makapasok. di na kasi ako makakastop saglit sa harap namin kasi ginawang paradahan ng 2 naming katabi. pag tumigil ako para buksan yung gate kailangan antayin ako matapos nung nasa likod ko nakakahiya.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Sa amin 2 parking space namin, nagpapark kami sa labas pag maglalaba at magsasampay ng damit Kapitbahay namin 1 garage na nga. Eh apat naman ang TAXI unit. Basta may bakante dun na babalandra.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nubesuke View Post
    Sa amin 2 parking space namin, nagpapark kami sa labas pag maglalaba at magsasampay ng damit Kapitbahay namin 1 garage na nga. Eh apat naman ang TAXI unit. Basta may bakante dun na babalandra.
    Hmmm. . .This can only mean that your neighbor has twice as many clothes to wash and dry. . .

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I'm for this. I'm tired of weaving through narrow roads made narrower because people don't want to look for a proper place to park their vehicles. I just hope the government does build parking buildings to accommodate the vehicles.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    yes, it's a brilliant piece of legislation, but, sadly, that guy from LTO, an implementing agency, second guessed that "it would impede the right of the people to mobility." no wonder LTO is in such a mess. right of locomotion is never without limit; it is always subject to General welfare. salus populi est et suprema lex- the welfare of the people is the supreme law.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Should this not also be addressed on the building regulations? Buildings are subject to certain parking ratios but developers try to get exemptions; new houses are granted building permits but they don't have parking provisions or only have one parking garage (if you ask me, a small home should always have at least two parking slots).

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Should this not also be addressed on the building regulations? Buildings are subject to certain parking ratios but developers try to get exemptions; new houses are granted building permits but they don't have parking provisions or only have one parking garage (if you ask me, a small home should always have at least two parking slots).
    I agree. In our village/homeowner's deed of restrictions you are told to provide "ample parking spaces" when you build. This rule has been a challenge to implement. It became a mere "suggestion." My neighbor across the street, who just built his house and moved in had a 2-car garage built, but he has 7 cars and two L-300 closed vans. He conveniently parks them in front of his house. But what about "responsible" neighbors who follow rules?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I agree. In our village/homeowner's deed of restrictions you are told to provide "ample parking spaces" when you build. This rule has been a challenge to implement. It became a mere "suggestion." My neighbor across the street, who just built his house and moved in had a 2-car garage built, but he has 7 cars and two L-300 closed vans. He conveniently parks them in front of his house. But what about "responsible" neighbors who follow rules?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast