New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Got this from one of my car dealing friends that does the converted vehicles.

It is unfortunate that we cannot get anymore new stocks of the Elgrand or any other converted van because the government has stopped the entry of 2nd hand/used vehicles from Japan thru Port Irene by no longer allowing the lower duties/tax rates given to them (one can still import directly but with the usual high rate of duties/taxes/fees). Instead of regulating and putting up strict quality control standards on conversion, our government has chosen to protect the local vehicle assemblers (of new but older generation models) from the imported ones because of the bad publicity the converted ones have been getting -not to mention the lobbying that has been done and still currently being conducted against imported/converted vehicles. They overlooked the fact that these imports have raised local standards on vehicles much like what McDonalds' influence has accomplished on the restaurant/fastfood dining industries here years ago- when dining-out standards were non-existent!

We hope that the politicians running this country to the ground will realize also the benefits that our industry has contributed to the Filipino people and get their act together in actually doing something good for the many and not just for their pockets and their circle of self enhancing influence...soon...before all good people with a choice will leave this country.

Kind of disappointing to hear, to me these new/old imported and converted vehicles like the Nissan Elgrands, Toyota Grandivas, and Grand Hi-aces, and Regius are a much better bargin and allow someone who otherwise cannot afford to have such a well optioned and comfortable vehicle afford one.

Let's face it for under 400,000P choices are seriously limited, The old starex's are starting to really show their age and don't compare in ride or comfort to these vehicles. No offense to Crosswind or other AUV owners but those safety, power, handling and basic automotive design are not even close with something like a Nissan Elgrand which shares 99% of it's suspension parts with the US Nissan pathfinder and Infinity QX4. A Fortuner has a hard time competing with this vehicle on price vs options and performance. I just can't see the 700,000P difference and won't pay it.

I had a fender bender with a 2009 Strada, They hit the back of my Elgrand which has a real bumper with solid steel under it like US standards and only scratched my paint, but caved in his vehicle like tin foil. Pretty much none of the local vehicles except the US model ones have any real safety in a accident and just crush like a tin can in minor traffic accidents. They lack front or rear bumper supports heck some have nothing under the bumper at all it's just there for show.

These vehicles bring affordable quality vehicles to the masses in my opinion and do not play much of a role in hurting new car sales because most getting these cannot or would not spend 700000 to 1.25 million P on a vehicle anyways. Call me a cheap charlie but why pay more if you don't get more. a 150hp luxury van to me is better than a 80 hp vehicle that can barely maintain 110kph on the highway.

The cut and weld days of conversions are over and these new ones are perfectly safe to drive. I took a trip to Port Irene last March and check out the hold process myself. My van drives like a Cadillac and the conversion is flawless on the suspension.

Not to mention all the hard working people who do these conversions and the people who make a living selling and servicing these great vehicles all over the country.

But that's just my humble opinion, I am big fan of these vehicles and this industry being a DIY kind of car guy.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    uy sayang naman

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    Got this from one of my car dealing friends that does the converted vehicles.

Kind of disappointing to hear, to me these new/old imported and converted vehicles like the Nissan Elgrands, Toyota Grandivas, and Grand Hi-aces, and Regius are a much better bargin and allow someone who otherwise cannot afford to have such a well optioned and comfortable vehicle afford one.

Let's face it for under 400,000P choices are seriously limited, The old starex's are starting to really show their age and don't compare in ride or comfort to these vehicles. No offense to Crosswind or other AUV owners but those safety, power, handling and basic automotive design are not even close with something like a Nissan Elgrand which shares 99% of it's suspension parts with the US Nissan pathfinder and Infinity QX4. A Fortuner has a hard time competing with this vehicle on price vs options and performance. I just can't see the 700,000P difference and won't pay it.

I had a fender bender with a 2009 Strada, They hit the back of my Elgrand which has a real bumper with solid steel under it like US standards and only scratched my paint, but caved in his vehicle like tin foil. Pretty much none of the local vehicles except the US model ones have any real safety in a accident and just crush like a tin can in minor traffic accidents. They lack front or rear bumper supports heck some have nothing under the bumper at all it's just there for show.

These vehicles bring affordable quality vehicles to the masses in my opinion and do not play much of a role in hurting new car sales because most getting these cannot or would not spend 700000 to 1.25 million P on a vehicle anyways. Call me a cheap charlie but why pay more if you don't get more. a 150hp luxury van to me is better than a 80 hp vehicle that can barely maintain 110kph on the highway.

The cut and weld days of conversions are over and these new ones are perfectly safe to drive. I took a trip to Port Irene last March and check out the hold process myself. My van drives like a Cadillac and the conversion is flawless on the suspension.

Not to mention all the hard working people who do these conversions and the people who make a living selling and servicing these great vehicles all over the country.

But that's just my humble opinion, I am big fan of these vehicles and this industry being a DIY kind of car guy.

Doc is your info correct? what about 2nd hand delivery trucks?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i wonder how much CAMPI spent to get the govt to ban Port Irene imports

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's the crumple zone of the vehicle. It SHOULD 'cave in like a tin foil'. It protects the occupants of the vehicle, not the vehicle itself.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    sayang naman. bad publicity kase ang conversion. pero actually may mga units na designed as option nila ang left and right hand drive. hindi naman como sinabing converted eh kinalikot lang ng kung sino jan sa tabi tabi. ganun ang mentalidad ng ibang tao eh. hindi muna mag spend ng time to educate themselves bago humusga. there are some who did a sub standards. pero not all. May mga magagaling din na nag momodified ng streering system na pasok sa specification.for me importante ang meron tayong options na bumili ng mga ganyan sa bansa natin. Cars, represent the economy. Gusto lang nila tulungan ang mga local manufacturers which is so unfair.

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    ^right.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    That's the crumple zone of the vehicle. It SHOULD 'cave in like a tin foil'. It protects the occupants of the vehicle, not the vehicle itself.
    It shouldn't crumple at less than 1/2 kph, should be zero damage. Those are for also for front and rear collisions, This was a side swipe.

Trucks, heavy equipments are not included sa ban.

10. Join Date
    May 2008
    any update on this topic?

im planning to visit port Irene... eying for a toyota parado, i hope they still have it there.

To all, if you know someone from port Irene, kindly pm me their contact details, im in need of a customs broker, custom agent, car dealer in port Irene.

Any input will be very much appreciated.

* Sir dvldoc - ygpm

Best Regards,
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Port irene imported vehicles dying off