New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    sumitomo was good at it, back then.
    then someone thought of getting it away from them, so's they can cash in...
    these guys should be thrown in jail, the doors welded and cemented over.... because there's currently no viable death sentence.

imagine,
    in one of their last episodes,
    they were buying specialized piyezas for the mrt... in evangelista!
    Sumitomo service charge is very expensive that's why they were eased out of the the maintenance of mrt3

The corruption with dilapidated mrt3 train coaches was brought about by the dearth of spare parts (mrt3 train coaches are of old design and are no longer manufactured). Hence, the solution to replace the coaches with new one which was subjected to dirty politics by the hatchethmen of the duterte admin

Dalian trains have been certified already by a 3rd party auditor hired by this govt

They cant use it yet because sumitomo is prioritizing rehabilitation of the rails

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    Sumitomo service charge is very expensive that's why they were eased out of the the maintenance of mrt3

The corruption with dilapidated mrt3 train coaches was brought about by the dearth of spare parts (mrt3 train coaches are of old design and are no longer manufactured). Hence, the solution to replace the coaches with new one which was subjected to dirty politics by the hatchethmen of the duterte admin

Dalian trains have been certified already by a 3rd party auditor hired by this govt

They cant use it yet because sumitomo is prioritizing rehabilitation of the rails

They should have stuck with Sumitomo. Cheaper doesn't always mean better. Could've saved us a lot of headaches.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    May 2014

Expensive compared to what/who? The local mish mash of groups that said they could do the same quality of work for 'less'? We already know what that got us.

The investigations of what was publicized (for what i recall so correct me if i am wrong here) was that sumitomo always kept spare parts inventory on stock, and they never cannibalized parts from other trains... A far cry from what the others dod, no spare parts, cannibalize parts of what was left of sumitomo's work and did not even do rail rehab when it was needed eventhough they should have done it, but they didn't because that would eat into their cashflow.

We got quality work with little to no downtime when sumitomo was at the helm... Once that was thrown out the window and others took over, we got the exact opposite... Rail service become the exception rather than the norm...

And what proved to be 'more expensive' with losses in public transport service then?

We'd have to wait til 2021 for the rehab to be fully complete, and hopefully... No more of the same after...

We can't really expect all the problems that beset the mrt3 to suddenly be gone after sumitomo comes in. So, here is hoping we dont get a repeat in the future where people simply looked at the peso value without looking at the company's capability to handle such a job.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    di pa kayo nasanay sa kanya

lahat ng post niya may pro-yellow bias

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by falken View Post
    They should have stuck with Sumitomo. Cheaper doesn't always mean better. Could've saved us a lot of headaches.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    The problem apart from the degraded rails are the dilapidated train coaches

Sumitomo is only a maintenance provider..trains need replacement..sticking with sumitomo won't bring in new trains

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Expensive compared to what/who? The local mish mash of groups that said they could do the same quality of work for 'less'? We already know what that got us.

The investigations of what was publicized (for what i recall so correct me if i am wrong here) was that sumitomo always kept spare parts inventory on stock, and they never cannibalized parts from other trains... A far cry from what the others dod, no spare parts, cannibalize parts of what was left of sumitomo's work and did not even do rail rehab when it was needed eventhough they should have done it, but they didn't because that would eat into their cashflow.

We got quality work with little to no downtime when sumitomo was at the helm... Once that was thrown out the window and others took over, we got the exact opposite... Rail service become the exception rather than the norm...

And what proved to be 'more expensive' with losses in public transport service then?

We'd have to wait til 2021 for the rehab to be fully complete, and hopefully... No more of the same after...

We can't really expect all the problems that beset the mrt3 to suddenly be gone after sumitomo comes in. So, here is hoping we dont get a repeat in the future where people simply looked at the peso value without looking at the company's capability to handle such a job.
    Now that sumitomo is back..were there no more problems with spare parts of the train coaches?

What sumitomo were doing before was cannibalize part from one train after another that falls apart. The problem wasn't glaring then bcoz sumitomo started with more trains to cannibalize. After all theres strength in numbers.

Through the years the number of available train coaches dwindled which eventually resulted in the dearth. The only solution to the problem with the paucity of running coaches is replacement of the old. That's what those dalian train purchase was for. Then again it was politicized as overweight & unfit for the rails (proven otherwise by the 3rd party auditor hired by the duterte admin)

Again those coaches are of old design..no longer being manufactured..can be fabricated to the limits of any good fabricator

This govt can proceed on using the dalian coaches..improve the rails..improve the power supply..improve the signaling system

Last edited by kisshmet; September 23rd, 2019 at 01:26 PM.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    di pa kayo nasanay sa kanya

lahat ng post niya may pro-yellow bias
    I'm also anti china (pro US) as well right? still made a stand in favor of the purchase of new train coaches manufactured from china (cheaper)

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    Now that sumitomo is back..were there no more problems with spare parts of the train coaches?

What sumitomo were doing before was cannibalize part from one train after another that falls apart. The problem wasn't glaring then bcoz sumitomo started with more trains to cannibalize. After all theres strength in numbers.

Through the years the number of available train coaches dwindled which eventually resulted in the dearth. The only solution to the problem with the paucity of running coaches is replacement of the old. That's what those dalian train purchase was for. Then again it was politicized as overweight & unfit for the rails (proven otherwise by the 3rd party auditor hired by the duterte admin)

Again those coaches are of old design..no longer being manufactured..can be fabricated to the limits of any good fabricator

This govt can proceed on using the dalian coaches..improve the rails..improve the power supply..improve the signaling system

Would like to ask as i don't recall it... Where was it revealed that sumitomo themselves cannibalized from working trains and never brought them back to working condition? Thanks.

Regarding the dalian trains, please correct me if i am wrong, didn't they only supply a carcass? No working motors, singaling integration equipment etc? Basically no one was actually willing to pay dailan to design and supply a complete train that would work with mrt3 system, right?

If you have to have dalian design and supply a complete train for mrt3, that would incur mlre costs and the dalian train price of the first 3 units won't be equivalent then.

I'm not saying it can't be done but just that the price is not the same.

Then who would maintain? Dalian or the local mish mash again?

If dalian, they'd also have to change all systems to suit their equipment so it isn't as simple.

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    I'm also anti china (pro US) as well right? still made a stand in favor of the purchase of new train coaches manufactured from china (cheaper)

With this option you recommend, what would be the plan though?

Dalian design and supply all new train sets to replace the old sumitomo ones?

If yes, what's the plan while we wait for new dalian trains? No rehab of the MRT3 and leave it to rot (even if you use local maintenance groups we already know what that means)? Spend on Sumitomo Rehab but throw it away after?

If you won't have Sumitomo rehab while Dalian is designing, are you planning to close the whole MRT so Dalian can start work on the MRT? Or are you saying Dalian should be in charge of rehab and work on the old sumitomo systems which they have no experience on? Wouldn't this proposal ruin their reputation as well and they would say no to it?

I am just curious because the only way I see your idea only getting a YES from Dalian is that MRT3 is completely closed and Dalian starts updating it to suit their systems.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Traffic: Is relief in sight?
    DEMAND AND SUPPLY - Boo Chanco (The Philippine Star) - September 30, 2019 - 12:00am

During the Marcos years, the LRT-1 came about. Then FVR gave the sweetheart deal for MRT-3. LRT-2 followed. But the key mass transport is MRT-3

The private owners led by the Sobrepenas of College Assurance Plans (CAP), Ayala Land, Ramcar, Greenfield Development of Unilab, Anglo Philippines Holdings and a few others had a great deal going for them. They had a guaranteed income from government. It didn’t matter that Erap pegged the fare at a point too low to recover cost of operations.

Government was responsible for operations. The Sobrepena consortium was a rent collecting landlord. The consortium bailed out on their economic interest by issuing bonds backed by the guaranteed government rental. But the consortium retained ownership.

Soon there was trouble because MRT-3 was not being maintained well. That was supposed to be the business of the landlord, but government took it on and messed up.

The PNoy administration made a series of bad decisions we are paying for up to now. They awarded maintenance contracts to political allies who were only interested in the fees, with zero knowledge of what to do.

Then PNoy’s Jun Abaya awarded the purchase of new rail cars to a Chinese company that didn’t follow the specs required. So, the Dalian railcars are not being used and P3.8 billion of the people’s money wasted. Under the MRT-3 contract, the Sobrepena consortium, like any landlord, was supposed to be responsible for capex like new train cars.

Come the Duterte administration. They dilly dallied on what to do with MRT-3, the Dalian trains and the still legal owners, the Sobrepena consortium.

Finally, they moved and negotiated a deal with JICA to hire back Sumitomo to fix MRT-3. Good move. Mar Roxas erred in firing Sumitomo, in the first place.

MRT-3 facilities need a lot of fixing. The rails are falling apart, which explains why the trains are running at reduced speed. The electrical lines, the communication facilities and other technical stuff need upgrading too.

Sumitomo will take care of all that. But under the JICA agreement with Sumitomo and DOTr, Sumitomo will only bring back MRT-3 to the point when their contract expired in 2009. No new train cars and they don’t want to have anything to do with the Dalian train cars. I imagine the guarantee will cease if DOTr uses the heavier Dalian cars.

That means running 22 trains per hour by 2021, which was the level in 2009. In short, no capacity increase after 12 years! After all the huffing and puffing and wild anticipation, we are not going to be better off in 2021 than when PNoy took over.