New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Towing the line at The Fort
    COUNTERFLOW By James Deakin (The Philippine Star) |
    Updated February 13, 2013 - 12:00am

So there I was enjoying a nice Sunday family lunch in the Fort when the waitress comes up and informs me that my car is being towed. I’m out of my chair like a Chinese New Year Dragon dance that someone had thrown firecrackers under and manage to make it out just as they had attached the chains to my chassis but before they had actually hooked me up to their truck.

There must have been ten to fifteen other diners scurrying out of the nearby establishments, jumping into their cars and all peeling off in different directions in a scene that was just a shaved head and super-hot chick away from a Fast & Furious scene when the cops show up to one of their illegal races.

Just then, a BGC enforcer approaches me explaining that I am in a tow-away zone. Instinctively, I look around for a sign and could not find one anywhere on either side of the street. The sidewalks were also not painted yellow or red, or any color for that matter, indicating that it was neither a loading nor unloading area nor a restricted zone. She was extremely professional, courteous and very well spoken, but was very firm about letting me know that the entire Bonifacio Global City is a tow-away zone, although in the end was reasonable enough to let me off with a stern warning.

Now, as polite as she was and as grateful as I am for the second chance, it does raise a few questions. On the street just across, (4th Ave., where the Ferrari dealership is) there are very clear no-parking signs as well signs indicating that it is a tow-away zone. On 31st street, which is a small side street outside the restaurant where I was parked, there are no signs whatsoever. Perhaps BGC may want to consider making that clearer.

Also, considering that the staff of these restaurants can clearly see their customers parking outside their establishments yet offer no warning about towing on Sundays, you begin to see why it is not exactly unreasonable for people to assume that it is allowed. They may argue that your parking may not be their responsibility, which is absolutely true, but nothing promotes indigestion quite as fast as chasing your car down the street, and that tends to be something people remember when choosing a restaurant in the future.

I’m not bringing this up to justify my parking—after all, the enforcer did have a valid point saying that the absence of a no-parking sign should not automatically be interpreted as permission to park, and instead, motorists need to look for painted bays with proper signage indicating that street parking is allowed. Besides, as I mentioned, I was let off with a warning, so I really have no reason to moan. I’m writing this more as a warning to unsuspecting motorists and as a plea for more consistency in apprehension.

Case in point: while two wrongs don’t make a right, it does seem strange that 4th Avenue, which was in full view of the tow truck was not targeted despite having both ‘No Parking’ signs and ‘Tow Away Zone’ signs clearly placed along the entire stretch. Perhaps it had something to with the fact that there were some flashy SUVs with single-digit plates, complete with their token backup vehicles; but then again, if you’re looking to make an example...

Basically, I think that as undisciplined as some people can be, I believe that you will find that most people are happy to follow the rules so long as they’re clearly written, not selectively enforced, or just happen to discriminate against them. If you’re not sure what the means, you just have to take a nice Sunday stroll around Burgos Circle to see that sports cars are not held to the same parking laws as common vehicles, and are even allowed to park around the rotunda itself as one owner of an Expedition found out when he tried to park there as well. “Sir, only sports cars are allowed to park here on Sundays,” was the only explanation given by the enforcer.

I also know this because I have joined one or two of these runs and, when my metal was precious enough, was given the same courtesy.

One member of a sports car club group tells me that exotic car clubs are granted special permission by BGC to park around Burgos Circle after their fun runs because it enhances the image of the place, but I’m sure you can probably see how Juan de la Montero could give three flying shifts about that when he is getting towed simply for being too ordinary for such a progressive global city.

You can contact the author at james.deakin*facebook.com.
    source: http://www.live.philstar.com/motorin...wing-line-fort

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My plates got confiscated at BGC 3 years ago. We were more than 10 cars din. My plates were still new and the BGC enforcers scratched it when they removed it from my car! These enforcers don't take any bribe money (I did what I had to do) and even crying did not work on them

I see cars being towed all the time around the area.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Hmmmm, this is not good. Discrimination ang parang gustong i-point out ng article. I thought everyone should be given equal rights, especially that this is the motto or PNoy. Pero how come, based on the article above, is the opposite of it?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Better and consistent road markings and total and comprehensive enforcement is key. Even those jack*$$ drivers with single digit plates and back up vehicles need to, ehem, tow the line. They're the *holes with 2 way radios anyway, so they can be at the location when they needed to.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    PERO ang dami namang cars naka park along 4th Ave, where the banks are.
    Naka park with hazard lights blinking, pero walang driver. Most of them sa harap pa ng NO PARKING sign.

Nang-aabala tuloy sa mga kotseng gustong kumanan papuntang 26th St.

Hindi sila sinisita ng mga tow trucks.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Irregardless of what, i always park in designated parking spaces. Those areas are like mini republics, kanya kanyang epal dyan, kaya doon nalang ako sa walang gulo at sabit. Magkano lang naman parking fee nila, not worth the bruised ego!
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; February 13th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    private property and BGC diba?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ganyan sila sa Taguig... gaya-gaya ba or mas matindi sa Makati. Welcome to Cayetano country..."where government officials can practice wang-wang culture."

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tama naman to apply the law but no selective enforcement please. It's the same case in Rustans, Makati. The SUVs and vans of the matronas can park all day and when i stop to pick up my wife, pinapaalis na ako agad.

But just like LSB, i always park at a designated parking area when i'm unsure of the street parking zones.