New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by restituto View Post
    I learned from a defensive driving seminar that you don't use high beam when driving in heavy downpours coz the crystal rain droplets reflects the light back more directly and the more you couldn't see the road. Just use low beam and reduce your speed.

I already tried this and its true. Since then I use low beam when driving in heavy downpours with my hazard lights on to caution other motorists of my presence. SAFE DRIVING TO ALL!
    yes, in the rain, you should only use low beams. some defensive driving instructors also advise you not to use hazard lights unless you're in real emergency, or if you're stopped.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    share ko lang po. karagdagang kaalaman tungkol sa batas on headlights (kasama na rin yong color sa ilaw at kung kelan dapat gamitin and mga eto):

Land Transportation and Traffic Code, as amended

Article IV
    Accessories of Motor Vehicles

Section 34. (a) xxx

xxx xxxx xxx

(c) Headlights. — Every motor vehicle of more than one meter of projected width, while in use on any public highway shall bear two headlights, one on each side, with white or yellowish light visible from the front, which, not later than one-half hour after sunset and until at least one-half hour before sunrise and whenever weather conditions so require, shall both be lighted.

Additional lamps and light may be carried, but no red lights shall be visible forward or ahead of the vehicle. Trucks, buses, trailers, and other similar vehicles must carry, while in use on any public highway during night-time, colored riding lights on each of the four corners not more than ten centimeters from the top.

All motor vehicles shall be equipped with devices for varying the intensity of light, and the driver must dim the headlights or tilt the beams downward whenever the vehicle is being operated on well-lighted streets within the limits of cities, municipalities, and thickly populated barrios or districts, or whenever such vehicle meets another vehicle on any public highway. (Emphasis added)

xxx xxx xxx

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Same din:
    * Blind curve
    * opposite lane(overtaking or wala lng talaga sa lane nya)
    *etc.

Nakakainis nga yan.. lalo na nasa likod mo naka- highbeam..
    Feeling ko center of attraction ako..

Pero may knob(or yung nasa ibaba ng rearview mirror, di ko alam tawag dun)ginagamit ko para hindi ako masilaw. Napapansin din minsan ng nasa likod pag-ginalaw mo ito..Paghinatak(pull) tilted upwards, minsan low-beam agad yung nasa likod ko..(effective naman...for stock mirror..

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-view_mirror#Dimming

Dimming

A traditional rear-view mirror can be tilted to reduce the brightness and glare of lights, mostly for headlights shining directly on the eye level at night. This manual tilt mirror is made of a piece of glass that is wedge-shaped in cross section- its front side and back (silvered) side are not parallel, unlike normal mirror glass. In the default day view, the front side is tilted and the back side (which has a reflective coating, usually with silver like a mirror) is head-on and will give a strong reflection. When the mirror is tilted, its front side is head-on and the back is tilted. This view is actually a reflection off the clear, front piece of the glass rather than the back silver-coated part. Since the front part allows most of the light to go through, only a small amount of light is now reflected into your eyes.
    Some rear-view mirrors have electronic auto-dimming features built in (mirrors with automatic anti-glare function) while others are adjustable so that a lower light level setting may be used. Because of this it is advisable to set the darker setting to be aimed lower in the car than the lighter setting. This is mostly because at night when you readjust the mirror to use the darker setting the lighter angles will be pointed to the lower contrast roof of the vehicle instead of the higher contrast areas such as the backs of the seats.
    Last edited by Satio; December 19th, 2006 at 01:54 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just last sunday may CRV na nasa likod ko with his HID in full highbeam mode. nag signal na ako by holding my rear view mirror as my tint sa samurai is only light. Di pa rin nag low beam. I waved my hands and gestured a close/open sign ganun pa rin. So I let the CRV pass me and gave it a dose of its own medicine all 45 watts of high beam from the stock Samurai headlamps...oh and 2 100watts fogs. The CRV tried to wiggle its way thru the traffic hoping it can outrun me. When I overtook it naka low beam na siya...hehehe...lesson learned. I hope.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Pu**y View Post
    Same din:
    * Blind curve
    * opposite lane(overtaking or wala lng talaga sa lane nya)
    *etc.

Nakakainis nga yan.. lalo na nasa likod mo naka- highbeam..
    Feeling ko center of attraction ako..

Pero may knob(or yung nasa ibaba ng rearview mirror, di ko alam tawag dun)ginagamit ko para hindi ako masilaw. Napapansin din minsan ng nasa likod pag-ginalaw mo ito..Paghinatak(pull) tilted upwards, minsan low-beam agad yung nasa likod ko..(effective naman...for stock mirror..

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-view_mirror#Dimming

Dimming

A traditional rear-view mirror can be tilted to reduce the brightness and glare of lights, mostly for headlights shining directly on the eye level at night. This manual tilt mirror is made of a piece of glass that is wedge-shaped in cross section- its front side and back (silvered) side are not parallel, unlike normal mirror glass. In the default day view, the front side is tilted and the back side (which has a reflective coating, usually with silver like a mirror) is head-on and will give a strong reflection. When the mirror is tilted, its front side is head-on and the back is tilted. This view is actually a reflection off the clear, front piece of the glass rather than the back silver-coated part. Since the front part allows most of the light to go through, only a small amount of light is now reflected into your eyes.
    Some rear-view mirrors have electronic auto-dimming features built in (mirrors with automatic anti-glare function) while others are adjustable so that a lower light level setting may be used. Because of this it is advisable to set the darker setting to be aimed lower in the car than the lighter setting. This is mostly because at night when you readjust the mirror to use the darker setting the lighter angles will be pointed to the lower contrast roof of the vehicle instead of the higher contrast areas such as the backs of the seats.
    When you use this feature don't forget to return the mirror to the original position lest you'll have difficulty seeing the other vehicles behind you.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by restituto View Post
    I learned from a defensive driving seminar that you don't use high beam when driving in heavy downpours coz the crystal rain droplets reflects the light back more directly and the more you couldn't see the road. Just use low beam and reduce your speed.

I already tried this and its true. Since then I use low beam when driving in heavy downpours with my hazard lights on to caution other motorists of my presence. SAFE DRIVING TO ALL!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmykel View Post
    yes... hazard lights during heavy rain
    In heavy rain, do NOT turn on your hazard lights unless you're stopped! It's very hard to determine where flashing lights are or whether they're going forward, backward in low visibility. You also lose the turn signal, among other things. Just turn your lights on, remember that taillamps are there to indicate your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    just last sunday may CRV na nasa likod ko with his HID in full highbeam mode. nag signal na ako by holding my rear view mirror as my tint sa samurai is only light. Di pa rin nag low beam. I waved my hands and gestured a close/open sign ganun pa rin. So I let the CRV pass me and gave it a dose of its own medicine all 45 watts of high beam from the stock Samurai headlamps...oh and 2 100watts fogs. The CRV tried to wiggle its way thru the traffic hoping it can outrun me. When I overtook it naka low beam na siya...hehehe...lesson learned. I hope.
    OWNED! Hehehe.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ito pang tapat ko sa naka high beam and HID!

apat na IPF 170 watts high beam.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I only turn ON my high beam (on city driving) pag may mga irresponsableng mga motorista on the opposite lane na naka high beam. sarap

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Pu**y View Post
    [/B]Pero may knob(or yung nasa ibaba ng rearview mirror, di ko alam tawag dun)ginagamit ko para hindi ako masilaw. Napapansin din minsan ng nasa likod pag-ginalaw mo ito..Paghinatak(pull) tilted upwards, minsan low-beam agad yung nasa likod ko..(effective naman...for stock mirror..
    These are the Day/Night mirrors listed in your car's brochure. Some are manual (with the knob below the mirror), while some are auto-dimming. It really helps when that bugger behind you won't lower his beams.

Quote Originally Posted by afrasay View Post
    Astig! Dose of his own medicine indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    ito pang tapat ko sa naka high beam and HID!

apat na IPF 170 watts high beam.
    Hehehe! Diretso sa American Eye Center. Night-blindness. ;)

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    pag may bumubuntot na naka high beam sa akin for more than 1 minute, inaadjust ko yung left side mirror para yung ilaw ay babalik sa likod at hindi sa mata ko.

pagkatapos i-adjust, medyo gigilid ako sa kanan para sakto ang left headlight nya sa side mirror ko ... konting adjust pa up or down para talagang sakto sa mata nya yung ilaw ng high beams nya.

ilang beses ko na ginawa 'to at very effective 'to! either i-dim nya na ang lights nya o kaya babagal siya ng todo (dahil sa nasisilaw siya sa kanyang headlights).

note: konting ingat lang sa pag-adjust ng side mirrors habang nagdri-drive, baka mabangga ka na sa harap dahil nakatingin ka sa side mirrors/buttons/lever adjuster.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
High Beam In Night City Traffic?