New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    My personal belief is grey market imports are ok basta the taxes have been paid... As for the formal sector if naiinis talaga sila sa grey market importers by parallel selling of same models that they are also selling eh di kasuhan nila...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    My understanding on this:

Grey market importers sell select/premium brand new and slightly used cars which are normally not available in the market or have better specifications than what the local distributors offer (usual origin is Dubai and the US). Since these come in minimal volumes, it is not much of a concern to the manufacturers/authorized distributors.

The Port Irene/Subic/Cebu importers are known to bring in surplus/used cars in volume from Japan and Korea. These are usually more than five years old and are bidded out. These may compete more with the local auto industry as these are vehicles brought in in larger volumes and are priced at the range one could spend to buy a local, mass produced brand new sedan/SUV/van.

If i were to buy a new Pajero or LC200, i'd likely get a Dubai spec unit from a grey market dealer as it gives more options at a competitive price. But if it were a Benz/Porsche/Audi/BMW, i;d get it from the local dealer (this is just me... if i did have the means).
    if CATS is so concerned about competition from Port Irene, dapat hindi "grey market" ang term na ginamit nila

dapat "Japan used" or "japan surplus"
    Last edited by uls; July 5th, 2010 at 02:36 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ Agree here. For as long as they pay the proper taxes, then they should be allowed to operate...

10.2K:chicken:

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I think the concern of CATS Motors is more of the Port Irene importations as there are a lot of MBs from Japan being sent in through here. Katabi ko sa office parking today is a C42 with B plates. :D
    Meron mga gray market na MB. Yung iba GL450, ML Class.

at SLR McLaren.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    mali ata pag kakasabi ko eto mga sir lilinawin ko hehehe

dapat lang talaga na mas mataas yung tax ng mga imports kaysa locally assembled, para hindi naman mawalan ng trabaho yung mga ibang kababayan natin

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Some of the local distributors are not first party, and thus sell at a higher price than they would if they were run by the manufacturer (Note: Kia vs. Hyundai).

What these companies do is no different from what the grey market importers do. Some grey market importers even offer warranties and service on their vehicles... just like the casa. In the end, what's the difference between them and the small/medium sized players besides the amount of investment? There's no possibility of making any legal restriction against these people that will not hit at least a few of the acknowledged "official" distributors here.
    exactly

ano ito?

protect those who have bigger buildings?

protect those who have nicer showrooms, cleaner floors, prettier receptionists?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    We already have that provision... Local made units are cheaper than imported CBU units... Although pag ASEAN made halos pareo lang price because of free trade agreements...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    protect those who have nicer showrooms, cleaner floors, prettier receptionists?
    Hmmm...

I think the term "grey market" is being used as a more general term in this case (meaning: all imports not through a factory authorized distributor). Heck, whether it be Japan Surplus or Brand New grey market imports, as long as interferes with additional sales then the local manufacturers/distributors will oppose it.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUR-RT View Post
    dapat lang talaga na mas mataas yung tax ng mga imports kaysa locally assembled, para hindi naman mawalan ng trabaho yung mga ibang kababayan natin

But all the cars sold by CATS are imported.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    prettier receptionists?
    I have a better idea on how to "protect" the pretty receptionists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
CATS Motors and MMPC asking P-Noy to curb the importation of grey market vehicles