New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deakin View Post
    Yes, but sadly, it is being blocked by the dept. of Finance.There is only a very small window for them to go to bicam and have it ratified. If we miss that window in June, then it starts from scratch. But there is still a chance of getting this passed. I have set up an online petition. According to Ralph Recto and Secretary Petilla, if there are enough signatures (at least 10,000) we can definitely get it prioritised. Let's not wait till it's too late. Every signature counts. https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...act-now-sb2856

Although I do see the benefits of electric and hybrid cars, I do not support it's use on local roads, especially in the form of the e-jeepney. No real immediate to medium term benefits to cleaning up the air in Metro Manila.

I actually prefer to see the national government to require the petroleum companies to shift to EURO-IV in the quality for diesel fuel. This shift would have real dramatic improvement in the air quality given the number of PUB/PUJ on the road as well as all the other commercial trucks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey James, thanks for joining and welcome to Tsikot I've read your article in Philstar, which is the catalyst for this thread.

I've just signed the petition at Change.org.

Everybody else, come join. Spread the word in your Social Networks if you care.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Although this can be good since it's eco-friendly, I doubt it will bloom anytime soon. Marami pang problema ang currently pending. Hopefully sana tuloy2x na ito.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deakin View Post
    Yes, but sadly, it is being blocked by the dept. of Finance.There is only a very small window for them to go to bicam and have it ratified. If we miss that window in June, then it starts from scratch. But there is still a chance of getting this passed. I have set up an online petition. According to Ralph Recto and Secretary Petilla, if there are enough signatures (at least 10,000) we can definitely get it prioritised. Let's not wait till it's too late. Every signature counts. https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...act-now-sb2856
    Welcome to the doghouse, James.

We're behind you, man.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We have a few very relevant laws pending that we can influence and this is one of those. If you do care, affixing your signature just takes a few seconds.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    also signed the petition. for those who wants to be heard, sign na din hehe this is a small step towards cleaner air.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...s-afvi-act-now

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    also signed the petition. for those who wants to be heard, sign na din hehe this is a small step towards cleaner air.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...s-afvi-act-now

More like a drop in the ocean. This law's effectiveness towards clean air is if people would be willing to buy a new car that is either electric or hybrid (or using alternative fuel like LPG, hydrogen, etc). BUT as I see it, the bill would just end up with people buying cheaper (tax free) large hybrid SUVs like hybrid versions of the Chevy Tahoe or Ford Escape or Lexus RX450h which still consumes more fuel (and emit more CO2 per kilometer) than your typical average sedan.

It would be more effective (to reduce vehicle emissions) if they push for the adaption of the EURO4 standard for diesel fuel.

Even if more people would be buying hybrids, the percentage of hybrids versus diesel fed public transport will just overwhelm the "clean" benefits. Just another rich person's toy that is being lawed into being cheaper. Much like the law which reduced the tax on big engines which made cars with massive displacements suddenly much cheaper for the rich and politically connected to buy..
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 21st, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    More like a drop in the ocean. This law's effectiveness towards clean air is if people would be willing to buy a new car that is either electric or hybrid (or using alternative fuel like LPG, hydrogen, etc). BUT as I see it, the bill would just end up with people buying cheaper (tax free) large hybrid SUVs like hybrid versions of the Chevy Tahoe or Ford Escape or Lexus RX450h which still consumes more fuel (and emit more CO2 per kilometer) than your typical average sedan.

It would be more effective (to reduce vehicle emissions) if they push for the adaption of the EURO4 standard for diesel fuel.

Even if more people would be buying hybrids, the percentage of hybrids versus diesel fed public transport will just overwhelm the "clean" benefits. Just another rich person's toy that is being lawed into being cheaper. Much like the law which reduced the tax on big engines which made cars with massive displacements suddenly much cheaper for the rich and politically connected to buy..
    there are smaller cars naman for commoners like us. prius, leaf, etc. we have to start somewhere. may mga tao kasi na decided talaga bumili ng guzzler SUVs. with or without this law, they will still buy big SUVs.

yes you are correct, a hybrid SUV will consume more fuel and emit more CO2 than the typical average sedan. however, if we will compare hybrid SUVs with the typical average SUV, the former is still more efficient. i dont think this law will make the hybrid version cheaper or at the same price bracket with the gas/diesel counterpart. after all, we

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_boy View Post
    there are smaller cars naman for commoners like us. prius, leaf, etc. we have to start somewhere. may mga tao kasi na decided talaga bumili ng guzzler SUVs. with or without this law, they will still buy big SUVs.
    The majority of the people buying a new car will still buy with their wallets, the green credentials will just be a bonus if they happen to choose that particular car.

Example, the Toyota Prius C might have a lowered SRP of around P1.1M with the new incentives. But the car is the same size as the Vios which is priced around P700k to P800k depending on trim level. Given the P300,000 to P400,000 price difference, I doubt if people will be buying hybrid cars in droves. Yes, there will be the few (very few) who would opt to buy a SMALL hybrid car for it's green credentials but those few probably also own other bigger cars as well (the "can-afford" group).

It might be a start in the right direction but it goes into the wrong destination as soon as it hits the road.

yes you are correct, a hybrid SUV will consume more fuel and emit more CO2 than the typical average sedan. however, if we will compare hybrid SUVs with the typical average SUV, the former is still more efficient. i dont think this law will make the hybrid version cheaper or at the same price bracket with the gas/diesel counterpart. after all, we
    How many times do we see people choosing a medium size car versus a SUV with the same price? How many time the majority of the "helpful" responses would suggest getting the SUV? A lot of times. Cheaper hybrid SUVs will be a reason for people to buy big vehicles. They (the buyers) will think they can have a big SUV and it would be cheaper to fuel it because of the hybrid system to extend the fuel's range.

Like I said, people don't choose cars based on their "green" credentials.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I think there are downsides to current hybrid technology that might hamper its wide acceptance in PHL:

-Gasoline-electric hybrid cars (e.g. Prius) will still be considerably more expensive than equivalent-sized pure-ICE vehicles
    -Owners will be tied to the casa for the vehicle's life because your local talyer won't touch it with a 10-foot dos-por-dos
    -A 10-year battery warranty is cold comfort when a replacement costs $4,000 or P160k * current exchange rate
    -It occasionally floods here and there, but more frequently now in unexpected places...we all know what happens when you mix water and electricity
    -Where to dump an ultra-toxic battery that's leaking heavy metals after 10 years...noone can recycle it here in PHL so you'll end up shipping it back to its maker
    -You'll be paying even more for a hybrid soon because rare-earth metals don't grow on trees, and the Chinese are getting greedy

Now if we're talking about pure-electric and plug-in hybrid, then most of the above will apply as well. But with the added downside that most of our local electricity isn't from green sources (ex. wind, hydro, tidal, geothermal, solar)...so you're just transferring your foregone emissions to some dirty smelly coal-burning CO2-emitting NPC plant in the lovely verdant countryside that is far away from you.

But yes, people will see you as very cool eco-hip guy, albeit limited to within 60 kms. of a charging station. Charging station, you say? Aha, another problem! And we haven't even gotten to the issue of range-anxiety yet. It's not looking good for plug-in electric either...

Seems like there is much more promise in the LPG, CNG, and LNG possibilities of SB 2856 since these are widely accepted existing technology. Juan Dela Cruz could still buy a small affordable car...AND enjoy exemption from import duty, excise tax, VAT, and municipal sales tax... AND be exempt from number coding... AND have special parking spaces... AND be doing the environment a favor...all with an LPG vehicle...and very very soon without waiting for a charging infrastructure to be built. Hell, a taxicab mekaniko can keep an LPG car running till it falls to pieces!

Hmm..something to think about. By the way, I do support SB2856 and HB5460. And I don't own an LPG station.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast