New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    No need to explain. ToyotaPH are selling Daihatsu vehicles under the Toyota badge. The subsidiary will always follow the decision of the mother company. Unless of course, the local dealerships are run differently - like Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toyota probably believes that more folks will buy the wigo, if it had a toyota badge on it and not a daihatsu badge.
    it also probably makes for better logistics.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    Can somebody knew why Daihatsu pulled out of the PH market?
    Not sure, but Daihatsu's global presence started shrinking in the 90s onward.

Back in the late 80s through 90s they were selling Charade hatchback and even the Feroza SUV which was today are the (Agya) Wigo and this new (Rocky) Raize.

AFAIK they also selling a Hijet kei van back in the day.
    Yes, the closest equivalent we have to the Charade now is the Toyota Wigo (Daihatsu Ayla). In Japan they have the more modern Daihatsu Boon/ Toyota Passo.

If the Charade line continued, it probably would have grown as big as the subcompact Euro Yaris (Kia Rio-sized) since the Charade back in the day was similar in size to the unrelated Toyota Starlet which evoled into the Yaris.

Since current Daihatsu models look nearly identical to their Toyota-badged counterparts, it only makes sense to sell the Toyota version here. You get your modern Daihatsu models and have Toyota's huge dealer/service network here.

The Daihatsu brand was retained in countries where the brand remained strong, like in Japan and Indonesia where little cars are very popular.

PS: Daihatsu became a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota in 2016. Daihatsu only became a subsidiary of Toyota in 1998 when it increased its shares in Daihatsu to 51%.
    Last edited by AG4; February 11th, 2022 at 02:13 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    No need to explain. ToyotaPH are selling Daihatsu vehicles under the Toyota badge. The subsidiary will always follow the decision of the mother company. Unless of course, the local dealerships are run differently - like Nissan and Mitsubishi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    toyota probably believes that more folks will buy the wigo, if it had a toyota badge on it and not a daihatsu badge.
    it also probably makes for better logistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Not sure, but Daihatsu's global presence started shrinking in the 90s onward.

Yes, the closest equivalent we have to the Charade now is the Toyota Wigo (Daihatsu Ayla). In Japan they have the more modern Daihatsu Boon/ Toyota Passo.

If the Charade line continued, it probably would have grown as big as the subcompact Euro Yaris (Kia Rio-sized) since the Charade back in the day was similar in size to the unrelated Toyota Starlet which evoled into the Yaris.

Since current Daihatsu models look nearly identical to their Toyota-badged counterparts, it only makes sense to sell the Toyota version here. You get your modern Daihatsu models and have Toyota's huge dealer/service network here.

The Daihatsu brand was retained in countries where the brand remained strong, like in Japan and Indonesia where little cars are very popular.

PS: Daihatsu became a wholly owned subsidiary of Toyota in 2016. Daihatsu only became a subsidiary of Toyota in 1998 when it increased its shares in Daihatsu to 51%.
    Thanks for the explanation! I found it a bit strange in the Indonesian market they had Daihatsus sold alongside their Toyota badged counterparts.

I've also observed on an Indonesian site they said the Toyota badged Daihatsus were selling more than the Daihatsu badged vehicles.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the explanation! I found it a bit strange in the Indonesian market they had Daihatsus sold alongside their Toyota badged counterparts.

I've also observed on an Indonesian site they said the Toyota badged Daihatsus were selling more than the Daihatsu badged vehicles.
    Like anywhere else, Toyota is viewed as a higher brand.

The Daihatsu-Toyotas from Indonesia are manufactured by PT Astra Daihatsu Motor.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013

I'm guessing Toyota has more dealerships compared to Daihatsu.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006

I'm guessing it has something to do with population (bigger market) and the RH driving environment.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Sa mga Youtube search, may detailed review/look na ang lahat ng varaints.

Except 1.2 E CVT. Mukhang mabilis itong mabili sa dealer at walang naiwang review/display units.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Raize already used.
    screenshot_20220219-165713_instagram.jpg

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Raize already used.
    screenshot_20220219-165713_instagram.jpg

no insulation? lol