New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    walang compact pickup ang toyota sa japan, besides the utility pickup trucks?? hehe, how intriguing... then again, maybe they're simply too big for the japanese
    pickups in japan are used for utility, and not as SUV. toyota doesn't make big pickups or trucks because its Hino unit is making trucks for them.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pissword
    sa japan nga diba walang LEXUS brand kasi lahat ng model ng lexus available sa toyota lineup nila... mayayaman nga naman mga hapon... hindi nila kelangan ng cheap cars
    nun nasa toyota pa ako, i was thinking the same thing. but when i had the chance to go there, i was suprised to learn that there are still japanese (including toyota employees) that wanted to drive a lexus (made in the US of A) than those it's toyota equivalent. iba parin daw yung lexus na gawa sa tate. and what toyota japan did was to import lexus from US (not for the employees) but for those japanese that wanted to buy a 'real' lexus.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    The decision not to release IMV models in Japan may have something to do more with their culture rather than their business sense, despite the well known fact the The IMV project is purely for the Asia-Pacific region.

The japanese have been known to prefer brands and units that are japanese made. Such nationalism is indeed praiseworthy and is the reason for Japan's success story after WWII.

In all likelihood, IMV models made in other countries wouldn't sell that well in Japan. Just look at how imported brands are doing in Japan.

That's my 2 cents on the matter.

ongah noh. It will be classified as an import coz all those hilux and innovas are made in thailand.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    baka pang 3rd world countries lang ang "big 3" na IMV. Introduce palang kasi nila yun 3, baka experiment muna sila sa SEA

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I rarely see any pickup trucks in Japan except for these types:

Last edited by gaijin; March 28th, 2005 at 10:28 PM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin
    I rarely see any pickup trucks in Japan except for these types:
    That's prolly because Japan is a heavily industrialized country. Pick-ups are mostly used for agricultural purposes. Being industrialized, you'd see more large trucks, instead of pick-ups, in use. What's strange is, farmers prefer to use SUVs in Japan rather than pick-ups.

Also, in Tokyo, before you can purchase a car, I believe you'll need proof that you have a parking slot at home. A pick-up will eat a lot of space. It is for this reason that compact and sub-compacts are all the craze there...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by david12345
    Maraming modelo na ng sasakyan sa Japan. Baka hindi na worth it to introduce another model in Japan, taking into account the market and competition.

Take Toyota for example, what are the available models in the Philippines? Camry, Corolla Altis, Vios, Hilux, Rav4, etc., which are quite limited.

In Japan, kotse pa lang: Century, Celsior, Crown/Majesta, Aristo, Mark II, Chaser, Supra, MR-S, Windom, Altezza, Platz, Caldina, Soarer, Celica, Corona/Premio, Camry, Corolla sedan, Corolla Fielder, Corolla Runx, Carina/Levin/Trueno (maybe phased out), Prius, Rav4, Harrier, etc.
    OT:
    Levin/Trueno is been phased out for almost 10 years na.
    Carina replaced by Caldina(wagon) and Premio (sedan)

back to the topic:
    I read in the newspaper or sa international mag na "IMV will be sold in ASEAN etc etc...........but Japan is not in the list because pick ups are not selling well in Japan"

8. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Pick-ups are definitely not popular in Japan. Because most japanese and foreign residents here can afford to buy an SUV, 4WD or a closed van (Hiace, Bonggo, etc), there is very little market for the pickup except perhaps those living in the boondocks or those in Hokkaido.

The Daihatsu Hijet and Suzuki Every pickups are mostly owned by farmers or fishermen. These puny pickups also have a 4WD variant.

vicokyski,
    Yes, its true that car dealers will not sell you any vehicle without a valid parking space for it. Fortunately for me, i had a garage at home that made it easy to buy a mini-van.

This IMV that's being discussed will not reach Japan shores. There is no market for them here. These AUVs have been designed and built for South East Asia.
    Last edited by gaijin; March 29th, 2005 at 09:44 AM.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by explorer
    nun nasa toyota pa ako, i was thinking the same thing. but when i had the chance to go there, i was suprised to learn that there are still japanese (including toyota employees) that wanted to drive a lexus (made in the US of A) than those it's toyota equivalent. iba parin daw yung lexus na gawa sa tate. and what toyota japan did was to import lexus from US (not for the employees) but for those japanese that wanted to buy a 'real' lexus.
    then these japanese have been duped. all Lexuses are built and assembled in japan then exported to the US. the only lexus built in NA is the Lexus RX330 SUV at TMMC (toyota motors manufacturing canada,inc) in ontario and that plant opened in late 2003.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    That's prolly because Japan is a heavily industrialized country. Pick-ups are mostly used for agricultural purposes. Being industrialized, you'd see more large trucks, instead of pick-ups, in use. What's strange is, farmers prefer to use SUVs in Japan rather than pick-ups.
    then the US is an exception. america is a heavily industrialized country and pickups are everywhere.and so do SUVs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Toyota IMVs are not sold in Japan, why?