New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Mga sir I need your thoughts on this one;

I'm in the market for an SUV (since last year pa), P1.5M+/- budget.
    Currently drive a CRV gen3 & Innova.
    Seriously considering FORTUNER 2.5 VNT, my problem is it's too old.

My other option is go with PRADO 3.0 1KD (almost same price).
    This I consider while waiting for the Fortuner gen2 in 2-3 years.

Appreciate your comments.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry nalito ako. The 2.5 VNT is too old? But the '05 Prado isn't?

I'm biased. I have an '04 Prado and so I'll vote for it. Low end Torque is the 1KZ-TE's strong suit. Add to that a relatively older non-common rail engine, and u get something a bit easier to maintain. Ride is better, too. But make sure the dash of the unit u get is not plagued by cracks.

Fortuner 2.5VNT is newer and on paper more powerful, but I wonder how it'll feel in the real world.
    Last edited by IMm29; August 25th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Can't go wrong with a brand new unit IMO...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    nag facelift naman ang Fort eh. not too old imho.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post

I'm biased. I have an '04 Prado and so I'll vote for it. Low end Torque is the 1KZ-TE's strong suit. Add to that a relatively older non-common rail engine, and u get something a bit easier to maintain. Ride is better, too. But make sure the dash of the unit u get is not plagued by cracks.

Fortuner 2.5VNT is newer and on paper more powerful, but I wonder how it'll feel in the real world.
    What I mean is it's too old (2005, the greater majority of its design/construction) for a brand new unit.
    1KZ nga pala BTW.
    I heard nga na sakit ng Prado ang hairline/cracks sa dashboard.

Tnx for the input anyway.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you just need an everyday car, just get the newer model and stay worry free.

If you like Land Cruisers in general, the Prado won't disappoint.

I drive a 1995 LC and it has been reliable. Of course you have to put up with the usual repair and maintenance items at the vehicle's age but I'm surprised how inexpensive it is and how well supported the vehicle is in terms of parts and services.

Now at 150,000kms, I'm due for another timing belt change. Of course along with it comes the water pump, thermostat, tensioner bearing change. Also on my list of maintenance items are replacement of the valve cover gasket, manifold gasket, radiator overhaul, and replace radiator cap. Also had the front brake pads replaced a few weeks ago with Bendix Metal King Titanium/Heavy Duty. I don't mind the maintenance stop since there are Land Cruiser specific shops that specialize on the vehicle.

But if you feel that you will be inconvenienced by the downtime, the newer unit will serve you well.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    otep,

where do you bring your lc80 for repairs? or where do you get the parts ?

i think i might be looking for shock absorbers....

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    *otep

maybe if i get a 2005/06 model i still can get one with milleage of around 60-70k.
    if that's the case i think it would take 3-4 years * 10k/year before maintenance issues surface.
    just in time to dispose it, am i right?

also my daily route is from las pinas to valenzuela (best to worst road conditions).
    so driving comfort is really important here, as well as the ability to withstand the
    almost "off-road" conditions along the way (EDSA included).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by br733 View Post
    otep,

where do you bring your lc80 for repairs? or where do you get the parts ?

i think i might be looking for shock absorbers....
    I go to Dr. G's Car Clinic managed by GP Gamilla (son of the original Dr. G). It's in Selecta Drive near A. Bonifacio, Q.C. They are the local dealer of Ironman Brand Suspension.

If you want original, Celica Motors Araneta Avenue can have any part delivered to you. Most parts are in stock, less ordered parts about 3 days, and rare parts about a month. But they can get everything at prices that can beat the dealership and they use the same parts catalog system so the buying experience is painless and no more 'sample this sample that' guesswork.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post

Ika nga eh, kahit ano mangyari Land Cruiser parin yan

Maari panalo siya sa brand new na Fortuner pero di natin masasabi kung kasing tibay ng Prado yan.

At kung kaya ibigay yung image ng "PRADO"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast