New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    If you're restoring an old car for daily use, i'd still stick to a 90's model. Parts are easier, price difference isn't much and air conditioning systems are waaay better.

In my own opinion, if i were getting an 80's classic like a boxtype or corolla liftback, it will definitely have to be in very good condition to make owning it a worthwhile. Good paint, all proper trim are in place, all mods (if any) are period-correct, and well conditioned engine (even if its just stock). But such will set back a person quite a tidy sum.
    This would not be a daily drive, just for the coding days only or in the event I would need an alternate ride. Siguro max budget ko would be in the vicinity of 100 to 150k. Pwede na kaya yun? I plan for this build to take 2 years, right enough time for when my daughter can drive na.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Got this 2 weeks ago and started to drive it last sunday.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    up for this thread, buhayin k lang uli....
    I'm planning to get a toyota corolla LB, model is 1987 not that sure thou...
    any suggestions what are the things that i need to fix or check?!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jhayboo View Post
    up for this thread, buhayin k lang uli....
    I'm planning to get a toyota corolla LB, model is 1987 not that sure thou...
    any suggestions what are the things that i need to fix or check?!
    is this the model with a curving whale-like back? if so, you might have problems if you have to replace body trim, lights, glass, rubber.. from what i recall, this model was not an official model here.. grey market siguro..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is this the model with a curving whale-like back? if so, you might have problems if you have to replace body trim, lights, glass, rubber.. from what i recall, this model was not an official model here.. grey market siguro..
    I'm not that sure about the year, but here's a picture:
    planning to get this car, probably first week of september,
    selling price is 30k
    4k engine,

*not sure if you will see the picture, thru the said URL, don't know how to upload pictures, im just new here tia!
    keep safe!
    Last edited by jhayboo; August 28th, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: posting pictures

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    it appears to be a 1981 corolla LB (liftback). an official model back then. i had one before.. carburated 1300 (4K) engine, 5 speed.. very light and responsive steering.. drove great! made me feel young! i still wonder from time to time why i sold it.. its only problem then was the lack of rear passenger space.. ah yes! my second baby was born.. hence the sell..
    since it's old, your foreseeable problem would be sourcing spare parts, especially body parts. also, it was rumored that the manufacturer then, had to scrimp on the rustproofing, to keep costs down.. but it was only a rumor.. (?).. best you inspect the metal well, justin case..
    i consider it a cheap alternative to a midlife crisis car (most of us cannot afford a red porsche..)
    there's a (purportedly) rebuilt yellow unit somewhere.. for sale for 100K or so..
    heyy... where're the windshield wipers?
    btw, if you look carefully, those two red LBs are different variants.. perhaps 1 or 2 years apart?
    Last edited by dr. d; August 29th, 2012 at 07:30 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    That's most probably an '82 or '83 model. The '80 and '81 had different headlights and tail lights. The pillar (where you see the LB logo) is also diff in the older model.

I used to own one. My problems were:
    - under chassis parts are prone to scratches due to the low stance of the car
    - previous owner was a big guy, the springs on the driver side were sagged, had to interchange the left and right side
    - had problems with the rear window moulding, the one between the rear window and front window. Water seeps during strong rains.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro323_b5 View Post
    This is my friends lift back... its a great car to set up.

naalala ko nung elem/hs ako, lagi ko nakikita dumadaan sa amin yung lb na ganyan, mga taga-las piñas, wala na yung rear seat, sub/box na lang... tapos may mga sticker din sila ng team toms... ganda nga i-setup yan...

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    A good friend of mine still has his orange lift back in his garage, he's planning to restore it but can't start since he can't find a good conversion kit. It's still right hand drive.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I gave up on my search for a LB long ago. I went thru a lot of corollas but their body were rusting away. Hirap na paayusin. I landed myself a Celeste though but still in the process of restoring.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Toyota Corolla Liftback