New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 137 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 3568
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    jut703, it's a general reaction for most people to be concerned about your safety and the safety of others on the road. Since you clarified that those runs were done under clear conditions then that's usually not a big issue as long as you know what you're doing. What people here are cautious about is the same thing you pointed out at, running at speed not suited for the road conditions. Whether it be 100kph or 200kph, what matters is we're aware of the road conditions around us, and the condition of our cars.

I myself would react if that was done on a non-empty road as I've gotten into a serious accident before, and through the years have become more cautious on things (age and having kids i guess). The guy (a good friend of mine) whom i almost killed, or maimed, is now married with two wonderful kids, and i almost took that away.

BTT: I started playing around with the F/C meter on the Altis E (i was oblivious to the E model having this feature until recently since i thought it was only the clock function on the said LED cluster... hehe). As with when we had a vacuum gauge on our old cars, the best FC reading doesn't come from shifting up early but from using the proper gears and keeping the pedal input at the lightest possible. On the m/t, the km/l reading shoots up to 99.9km/l when i leave the car in the proper gear while coasting downhill (with no gas pedal input) or while decelerating. I'll see if my driving adjustments based on the FC meter inputs can give better FC returns in the next few tanks.
    Last edited by vinj; December 3rd, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    jut703, it's a general reaction for most people to be concerned about your safety and the safety of others on the road. Since you clarified that those runs were done under clear conditions then that's usually not a big issue as long as you know what you're doing. What people here are cautious about is the same thing you pointed out at, running at speed not suited for the road conditions. Whether it be 100kph or 200kph, what matters is we're aware of the road conditions around us, and the condition of our cars.

I myself would react if that was done on a non-empty road as I've gotten into a serious accident before, and through the years have become more cautious on things (age and having kids i guess). The guy (a good friend of mine) whom i almost killed, or maimed, is now married with two wonderful kids, and i almost took that away.

BTT: I started playing around with the F/C meter on the Altis E (i was oblivious to the E model having this feature until recently since i thought it was only the clock function on the said LED cluster... hehe). As with when we had a vacuum gauge on our old cars, the best FC reading doesn't come from shifting up early but from using the proper gears and keeping the pedal input at the lightest possible. On the m/t, the km/l reading shoots up to 99.9km/l when i leave the car in the proper gear while coasting downhill (with no gas pedal input) or while decelerating. I'll see if my driving adjustments based on the FC meter inputs can give better FC returns in the next few tanks.
    Good to hear you guys got through the accident relatively unharmed. I do apologize if it may have seemed like a haphazard act, but as you've observed, I made sure not to do anything stupid with a lot of cars around me.

BTT, when I keep my foot light on the pedal (~2k shifts), the my average FC indicated by the MID seems to drop as compared to when I shift at ~2.5k on first and second, then ~2k on 3rd and 4th. I haven't done an actual empirical test on this, since my schedule isn't the same every day and so the traffic conditions are different.

By the way vinj, how far off is your MID from your full tank measurement?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Good to hear you guys got through the accident relatively unharmed. I do apologize if it may have seemed like a haphazard act, but as you've observed, I made sure not to do anything stupid with a lot of cars around me.

BTT, when I keep my foot light on the pedal (~2k shifts), the my average FC indicated by the MID seems to drop as compared to when I shift at ~2.5k on first and second, then ~2k on 3rd and 4th. I haven't done an actual empirical test on this, since my schedule isn't the same every day and so the traffic conditions are different.

By the way vinj, how far off is your MID from your full tank measurement?
    I'm just starting on gauging against the MID so i'll have some data by the end of this week when i gas up again. Right now i have a reading of 12.4km/L which i think is too generous.

For the Altis 1.6L owners, anyone can give an idea on the 10,000kms PMS cost? I called Toyota North EDSA to schedule a service appointment and i was estimated P 5,500. I did not ask for the breakdown yet but definitely i'll do away with the non-essential stuff such as additives, and 1L of regular oil since i still have extra oil from the last PMS. After this 10,000kms service, it's going to be bye-bye Toyota CASA for me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'm just starting on gauging against the MID so i'll have some data by the end of this week when i gas up again. Right now i have a reading of 12.4km/L which i think is too generous.

For the Altis 1.6L owners, anyone can give an idea on the 10,000kms PMS cost? I called Toyota North EDSA to schedule a service appointment and i was estimated P 5,500. I did not ask for the breakdown yet but definitely i'll do away with the non-essential stuff such as additives, and 1L of regular oil since i still have extra oil from the last PMS. After this 10,000kms service, it's going to be bye-bye Toyota CASA for me.

HMMMM... i guess be ready with your 5K-7K .... if my memory serves me correctly probably that much

The MID is off by around 0.1-0.3km/l from what i've been doing filling up from the same pump weekly.

Christmas party time dec 8.. see you!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006

Damn, off the get go your MID reading is already higher than the highest I've ever achieved!

If my memory serves me right, I was charged close to 7k for 10k PMS, including 5L of oil. Not sure though if the 2.0Vs are charged higher

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012

The highest FC I got on a full tank (using petron) with mixed city and highway is around 10++. A third of the tank going to Cavite registered 13++. If it was not for the frequent traffic from makati to quezon city I couldv'e gotten probably near 12. (also driving a 2012 E by the way)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Haha... so binabawi lang ni Toyota yung free labor sa 1K and 5K PMS. I wonder if they'll allow me to use my Baldwin oil filter already... if not then Toyota filter muna ako for this service stop then i'll start using my Baldwin oil filter and Delo Gold (or ZIC) oil combo at 15,000kms.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcbambico View Post
    The highest FC I got on a full tank (using petron) with mixed city and highway is around 10++. A third of the tank going to Cavite registered 13++. If it was not for the frequent traffic from makati to quezon city I couldv'e gotten probably near 12. (also driving a 2012 E by the way)
    My mixed city/highway gets me around 11km/L+. Kung pure city (QC-Makati-Mandaluyong) then i get anywhere from the 9s to the low 10s based on the Fuel Log app on my phone. From the same app, my average FC is 10.62km/L, best FC was 14.49km/L and worst FC was 8.57km/l.

The daily EDSA traffic really kills my FC figures and since the December traffic season is here, i'd expect it to get worse.

Kinse, resked na! Nagkanda-loko na ang skeds ko for that weekend... kahit weekday tayo after work.
    Last edited by vinj; December 3rd, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Haha... so binabawi lang ni Toyota yung free labor sa 1K and 5K PMS. I wonder if they'll allow me to use my Baldwin oil filter already... if not then Toyota filter muna ako for this service stop then i'll start using my Baldwin oil filter and Delo Gold (or ZIC) oil combo at 15,000kms.

My mixed city/highway gets me around 11km/L+. Kung pure city (QC-Makati-Mandaluyong) then i get anywhere from the 9s to the low 10s based on the Fuel Log app on my phone. From the same app, my average FC is 10.62km/L, best FC was 14.49km/L and worst FC was 8.57km/l.

The daily EDSA traffic really kills my FC figures and since the December traffic season is here, i'd expect it to get worse.

Kinse, resked na! Nagkanda-loko na ang skeds ko for that weekend... kahit weekday tayo after work.

Gona text Iya! ... My FC... in a week i do around 8.5-9.3KM/L including coding days... Worst day is monday i only get 7.5-7.7KM/L; the worst 6.8KM/L 3 hours from QC to Makati via edsa on a Monday morning. I easily do 16-17KM/L if purely highway at around 100-110kph 2 pax only..NLEX/SLEX/STAR... but safe would be 14.5 if you include provincial roads with overtaking...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    That's fine. It's not as if I gauge my moral/social acceptance from the opinions of faceless forumers.

Though I must ask, how is it any more rude that I'm doing 190 on an empty stretch of the SCTEX with noone else on the road, as compared to douches on NLEX doing 100 but are swerving like there's no tomorrow, cutting people off and forcing them to haphazardly apply their brakes?

By the way, I'd never drive fast if I was uncertain my car couldn't handle it. I do ensure that my engine's running well, my brakes are biting properly, and my tires are in good condition to run at sustained high speeds. But then again, all who break the speed limits arbitrarily set by the highway authorities are satan's spawns, right?
    well, someone has to try.. who knows.. we might just get lucky and you might repent.... heh heh.
    so, you are attempting to gain acceptance of your driving maljudgement by claiming that others are commiting some form of traffic maljudgement..
    you did 190 kph.... what if you suddenly lost control of your vehicle because it hit an unseen rock or because you sneezed? you could easily roll over to the opposite, oncoming lane and hit the vehicle going the opposite way and kill that driver,.. that driver could be someone who is passing by at that very moment, or will pass by a minute after your car turns over and blocks the middle of the road... going at 100 kph, he may not have time to take countermeasures..
    there are rules because we are never in complete control of the situation. the papers regularly feature stories of people who thought they were in complete control of the situation, until the final few seconds..
    "..castigate me because i'd rather ... overspeed and keep awake than keep within speed limits and fall asleep..." ? ... is this the real you? or is this simple hype?
    you determined your car's fuel efficiency at different speeds.. that's fine. but to actually boast of your traffic misdemeanor..
    what i am worried about, is that some young whippersnapper out there will read about what you did, and he will try it himself.. of course, he does not have the driving prowess you possess, and...
    this thread is open to the public.. including the gullible and the inexperienced young. let us not give them ideas that might get them in trouble.. be responsible.
    serve as a good example.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well, someone has to try.. who knows.. we might just get lucky and you might repent.... heh heh.
    so, you are attempting to gain acceptance of your driving maljudgement by claiming that others are commiting some form of traffic maljudgement..
    you did 190 kph.... what if you suddenly lost control of your vehicle because it hit an unseen rock or because you sneezed? you could easily roll over to the opposite, oncoming lane and hit the vehicle going the opposite way and kill that driver,.. that driver could be someone who is passing by at that very moment, or will pass by a minute after your car turns over and blocks the middle of the road... going at 100 kph, he may not have time to take countermeasures..
    there are rules because we are never in complete control of the situation. the papers regularly feature stories of people who thought they were in complete control of the situation, until the final few seconds..
    "..castigate me because i'd rather ... overspeed and keep awake than keep within speed limits and fall asleep..." ? ... is this the real you? or is this simple hype?
    you determined your car's fuel efficiency at different speeds.. that's fine. but to actually boast of your traffic misdemeanor..
    what i am worried about, is that some young whippersnapper out there will read about what you did, and he will try it himself.. of course, he does not have the driving prowess you possess, and...
    this thread is open to the public.. including the gullible and the inexperienced young. let us not give them ideas that might get them in trouble.. be responsible.
    serve as a good example.
    Me losing control at 190 kph is just as bad as someone swerving haphazardly at 80 kph and causing a 15-car pileup. Not that I'm trying to say that going past the speed limit is the right way to go, but I did make it a point to reduce the harm as much as I can when I did - I made sure my car was running well, that no other cars were around me, and that I was as alert as possible.

And no, I wasn't bragging of my "traffic misdemeanor". If I was, I'd have taken pictures and videos of my run. And if I planned to brag, I'd have pushed it even faster.

Anyway, I find it interesting that I'm getting a lot of flak for this when there are other forumers here who've done much faster runs and have posted about it several times but seem to go unnoticed. Subic in 1 hour would mean going at an average of 160 in both NLEX and SCTEX and yet noone's flagged that as vehemently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    serve as a good example.
    Me losing control at 190 kph is just as bad as someone swerving haphazardly at 80 kph and causing a 15-car pileup. Not that I'm trying to say that going past the speed limit is the right way to go, but I did make it a point to reduce the harm as much as I can when I did - I made sure my car was running well, that no other cars were around me, and that I was as alert as possible.

And no, I wasn't bragging of my "traffic misdemeanor". If I was, I'd have taken pictures and videos of my run. And if I planned to brag, I'd have pushed it even faster.

Anyway, I find it interesting that I'm getting a lot of flak for this when there are other forumers here who've done much faster runs and have posted about it several times but seem to go unnoticed. Subic in 1 hour would mean going at an average of 160 in both NLEX and SCTEX and yet noone's flagged that as vehemently.

Toyota Corolla 10th Generation Altis Owners [continued]