Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
the falling demand is already here. those explorers and expeditions are actually not status symbols here in their main market - they are well within reach of the lower-middle class, especially if you dip into the used car market. so these are definitely people who will feel a terrible pinch as prices go up. add to that the fact that the average commute for Americans is getting longer and longer (and traffic in places like the RP gets worse and worse).

i keep my SUV because we are homeowners and are very active in our personal life...so we are constantly hauling around supplies, tools, appliances, and sports equipment...i don't know what we would do without it. but we try to drive my bmw into work, and are currently in the market for a more fuel efficient vehicle.
So, you use your Touareg as a simple mule? WOW. He He. That's like using a Nissan Murano to haul fertilizer and weed killers. j/k

Sorry. Can't help it. Me, I'd probably buy a pickup truck for that kind of stuff. "See that pipe wrench? Just toss it in the bed. Don't care about dents or scratches".