New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...uvs/index.html

Can similar trend happens to Philippines where SUVs are being bought less and people selling their SUV to get a smaller car?

Is there evidence here that SUVs resale value is getting lower in light of soaring fuel prices?

I need to know this before my SUV goes lower in resale value if it would come to the trend that smaller cars would be more practical.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niker View Post

Can similar trend happens to Philippines where SUVs are being bought less and people selling their SUV to get a smaller car?

Is there evidence here that SUVs resale value is getting lower in light of soaring fuel prices?

I need to know this before my SUV goes lower in resale value if it would come to the trend that smaller cars would be more practical.
    I think the price sign on the gasoline pump is the biggest trend pointer that cars with smaller engines are the way to go.

Even well-off people are using their big engined vehicles a whole lot less and even selling them for more practical vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    i think gas guzzler SUV will definitely be lesser in the streets if the oil world market price wont stop hitting a record high every week. but may be im wrong, because people who bought these SUVs have the capacity to buy gas at any price

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cube View Post
    i think gas guzzler SUV will definitely be lesser in the streets if the oil world market price wont stop hitting a record high every week.
    but may be im wrong, because people who bought these SUVs have the capacity to buy gas at any price
    Unless you are the owners of the few very large companies/corporations that earn tens of thousands of pesos for your personal account every few minutes even as you snore in your bed at night, the price of gasoline & diesel for your vehicles will still hurt you on a personal level.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Unless you are the owners of the few very large companies/corporations that earn tens of thousands of pesos for your personal account every few minutes even as you snore in your bed at night, the price of gasoline & diesel for your vehicles will still hurt you on a personal level.
    yung mga "public servants" lang naman natin ang nakaka afford na gumamit ng mga expeds at suburbans araw araw, at may mga convoy pa na 2 or 3 sasakyan. palibhasa di naman nila pera yung ginagastos nila eh.

but i think yung mga big v8 powered SUVs ang endangered. at least dito satin madami yung mga diesel variants na SUVs na mas matipid sa diesel relative to the american v8 powered SUVs.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the falling demand is already here. those explorers and expeditions are actually not status symbols here in their main market - they are well within reach of the lower-middle class, especially if you dip into the used car market. so these are definitely people who will feel a terrible pinch as prices go up. add to that the fact that the average commute for Americans is getting longer and longer (and traffic in places like the RP gets worse and worse).

i keep my SUV because we are homeowners and are very active in our personal life...so we are constantly hauling around supplies, tools, appliances, and sports equipment...i don't know what we would do without it. but we try to drive my bmw into work, and are currently in the market for a more fuel efficient vehicle.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    the falling demand is already here. those explorers and expeditions are actually not status symbols here in their main market - they are well within reach of the lower-middle class, especially if you dip into the used car market. so these are definitely people who will feel a terrible pinch as prices go up. add to that the fact that the average commute for Americans is getting longer and longer (and traffic in places like the RP gets worse and worse).

i keep my SUV because we are homeowners and are very active in our personal life...so we are constantly hauling around supplies, tools, appliances, and sports equipment...i don't know what we would do without it. but we try to drive my bmw into work, and are currently in the market for a more fuel efficient vehicle.
    So, you use your Touareg as a simple mule? WOW. He He. That's like using a Nissan Murano to haul fertilizer and weed killers. j/k

Sorry. Can't help it. Me, I'd probably buy a pickup truck for that kind of stuff. "See that pipe wrench? Just toss it in the bed. Don't care about dents or scratches".

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cube View Post
    i think gas guzzler SUV will definitely be lesser in the streets if the oil world market price wont stop hitting a record high every week. but may be im wrong, because people who bought these SUVs have the capacity to buy gas at any price
    I wonder if the Rav4, CRVs, Tucson, Crosswinds are considered SUVS in the gass guzzler departments or whether they are the fortuners, etc. People buy SUV not because they are so rich but because there is only 100k to 200k difference to the atlis and civics and SUVs have more safety factor due to the higher passenger cell cage.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I wonder if the Rav4, CRVs, Tucson, Crosswinds are considered SUVS in the gass guzzler departments or whether they are the fortuners, etc. People buy SUV not because they are so rich but because there is only 100k to 200k difference to the atlis and civics and SUVs have more safety factor due to the higher passenger cell cage.
    what i meant was those american gass guzzlers, those trucks disguised as SUVs, which cost millions here

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005

Any vehicle bought with the intention of it being an investment is a bad move as vehicles lose value the moment you sign the papers and drive it. If you are worried about losing resale value then sell now because the market will just get worst. I have an SUV that gets 6Km/L and we still use it because it fits everyone and we ride in comfort as opposed to stuffing people in a small car. Does it hurt the wallet? Spending $300-$400 a month on gas definitely hurts but we learn to live with it. Is it losing value? Sure, but I never bought it thinking of resale value and I have never bought any vehicle with resale value in the list of things that were important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
SUVs plunge toward 'endangered list'?