New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...uvs/index.html

Can similar trend happens to Philippines where SUVs are being bought less and people selling their SUV to get a smaller car?

Is there evidence here that SUVs resale value is getting lower in light of soaring fuel prices?

I need to know this before my SUV goes lower in resale value if it would come to the trend that smaller cars would be more practical.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niker View Post

Can similar trend happens to Philippines where SUVs are being bought less and people selling their SUV to get a smaller car?

Is there evidence here that SUVs resale value is getting lower in light of soaring fuel prices?

I need to know this before my SUV goes lower in resale value if it would come to the trend that smaller cars would be more practical.
    I think the price sign on the gasoline pump is the biggest trend pointer that cars with smaller engines are the way to go.

Even well-off people are using their big engined vehicles a whole lot less and even selling them for more practical vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    i think gas guzzler SUV will definitely be lesser in the streets if the oil world market price wont stop hitting a record high every week. but may be im wrong, because people who bought these SUVs have the capacity to buy gas at any price

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cube View Post
    i think gas guzzler SUV will definitely be lesser in the streets if the oil world market price wont stop hitting a record high every week.
    but may be im wrong, because people who bought these SUVs have the capacity to buy gas at any price
    Unless you are the owners of the few very large companies/corporations that earn tens of thousands of pesos for your personal account every few minutes even as you snore in your bed at night, the price of gasoline & diesel for your vehicles will still hurt you on a personal level.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_cube View Post
    i think gas guzzler SUV will definitely be lesser in the streets if the oil world market price wont stop hitting a record high every week. but may be im wrong, because people who bought these SUVs have the capacity to buy gas at any price
    I wonder if the Rav4, CRVs, Tucson, Crosswinds are considered SUVS in the gass guzzler departments or whether they are the fortuners, etc. People buy SUV not because they are so rich but because there is only 100k to 200k difference to the atlis and civics and SUVs have more safety factor due to the higher passenger cell cage.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I wonder if the Rav4, CRVs, Tucson, Crosswinds are considered SUVS in the gass guzzler departments or whether they are the fortuners, etc. People buy SUV not because they are so rich but because there is only 100k to 200k difference to the atlis and civics and SUVs have more safety factor due to the higher passenger cell cage.
    what i meant was those american gass guzzlers, those trucks disguised as SUVs, which cost millions here

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005

Any vehicle bought with the intention of it being an investment is a bad move as vehicles lose value the moment you sign the papers and drive it. If you are worried about losing resale value then sell now because the market will just get worst. I have an SUV that gets 6Km/L and we still use it because it fits everyone and we ride in comfort as opposed to stuffing people in a small car. Does it hurt the wallet? Spending $300-$400 a month on gas definitely hurts but we learn to live with it. Is it losing value? Sure, but I never bought it thinking of resale value and I have never bought any vehicle with resale value in the list of things that were important.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Gas guzzler is a relative term. An Alto/Minica-class owner will tend to think anything bigger is a gas guzzler. Me, I'm quite happy with the 3.3L V6 in my car. Everyone draws the line differently.

I don't think SUVs will go out of fashion in the Philippines unless "lubaks" and floods magically disappear.

I do tend to think that if fuel price increases cause a huge hardship for people, they probably shouldn't own a vehicle in the first place. Most vehicle owners will simply suck it up or commute. Here, we don't have a choice but to suck it up. At least in the Philippines, commuting is a very viable option. In fact, I'd commute most of the time if I lived there.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 24th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Bihira makakita ng diesel powered SUVs sa States. unlike here maraming diesel options. Also, the cost of diesel here is cheaper than gasoline as opposed sa prices sa States. So SUVs are not in the endangered list, except for the American variety.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I think it will least likely to happen sa Pinas, SUV still & would remain to be a practical option in travelling esp. if you have big family. Suggestion, if your buying any vehicle with fuel as the main factor forget it take the public transport cause your paying way way way less than owning one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
SUVs plunge toward 'endangered list'?