New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Mga Sirs,

My wife just got our All new Vios 1.3 E yesterday and she said according to Toyota, before starting your engine she should step on the clutch. Is this really normal for this car model? What is the reason behind this procedure?
    Again, salamat po.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Its a safety feature.

For safety reasons or the car may jump forward or backwards when you start.

Some other reasons.
    1. The clutch safety switch, it will not let the starter engage until the clutch is all the way down.
    2. To reduce the load on the engine/starter.
    3. To reduce the chance of a rolling start and the potential impacts following.

Not all car's have this feature.

Here's the best: To prevent your car stolen by not so good carnaper if they dont know this feature......saying......pucha naman!!! bago bagong kotse bulok na, ayaw umandar.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, it's just like Automatic cars that you have to step on the brakes before shifting out of P.

I've seen this feature in BMWs. I didn't realize Toyota has adopted something similar. That's a good thing...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    not only on the vios. it is a good practice to start a vehicle with manual transmission while depressing the clutch. the clutch allows us to smoothly engage a spinning engine to a non-spinning transmission by controlling the slippage between them.

bale with clutch depressed means no friction therefore less load for the starter.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's a very normal thing, para nga in case na kambyo ka hinde "kakadyot" yun ibang car brand hinde pwede ma start pag hinde tumapak muna sa clutch

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I didn't realize that the new Vios has this feature. If that is the case, then, it is indeed a good safety item, since a kid cannot start the car unless he/she presses on the clutch.... As what theveed said above, that in an AT (a kid) cannot remove the tranny from P, unless he/she presses a button and steps on the brake....

6404:pump:

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Ano ba ito??? Third time the double-post blip struck on me this morning...

Last edited by CVT; July 18th, 2008 at 08:09 AM.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

I didn't realize that the new Vios has this feature. If that is the case, then, it is indeed a good safety item, since a kid cannot start the car unless he/she presses on the clutch.... As what theveed said above, that in an AT (a kid) cannot remove the tranny from P, unless he/she presses a button and steps on the brake....

I don't think its a "feature." With the new 2008 Vios, you can still start the car without stepping on the clutch. It's just that the manual RECOMMENDS depressing the clutch prior to starting, which is not new, since the manual on my 1980 Mitsu Galant Sigma likewise recommended stepping on the clutch.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ medyo OT, but would this be the better process in all MT transmissions kung matagal na pala itong recommended?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Stepping on Clutch before starting your Vios