New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Halos ganyan nga ang sabi sa manual... Please read it. Marami kang matututunan dun.

I'm sure the manual for your Innova A/T will say something similar to the following...

Page 91 of Avanza Owner's Guide says:

(middle of the page)

NOTICE ...

Do not continue hill climbing or hard towing for a long time in the "2" or "L" position. This may cause severe automatic transmission damage from overheating. To prevent such damage, "D" position should be used in hill climbing or hard towing.
    Thanks. I have just read the manual. Indeed I should only use D for hill climbing. By the way, in my old toyota gli a/t 1994, if I maintain "D" for steeps roads, nahihirapan young makina ko. But when I use "2", the car has more power. My question is: Has there been a change in the system in automatic transmission?

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bratski View Post
    actually it happens whether im the only one inside (no cargo and on flat roads).im bothered by the jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd (kinda like the civic ek's shifting), however from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th the shifting is smooth. and at 20kph the transmission shifts down to 1st even though the gradient is flat and im light on the throttle. another thing, regarding the atf of the innova, what kind of atf can i use in replacement? toyota branded atf are way too costly.
    i can't barely notice mine if it's shifting from 2 to 3 to 4. from 1 to 2 the rpm band range is up to 2500 if light footed and up to 3000 rpm if hard pressed. your manual will indicate what rpm should kicks in but jerky? hmm its a different story-ask your SA for clarification. ATF should only be changed at 40k PMS if my memory serves.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Thanks. I have just read the manual. Indeed I should only use D for hill climbing. By the way, in my old toyota gli a/t 1994, if I maintain "D" for steeps roads, nahihirapan young makina ko. But when I use "2", the car has more power. My question is: Has there been a change in the system in automatic transmission?
    I would tend to think so... 14 years have passed, I'm almost sure there has been lots of improvements.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    additional questions:

has it been like that before?
    did the fuel consumption increase?
    i just got the unit a few months ago,its a 2005 model, and i was wondering if all innova vvti a/t's are jerky shifters. my current fuel consumption is at 6km/liter. since im pretty lightfooted ramdam ko talaga yung jerkiness shifting from 1-2, from 2-3 and 3-4 smooth naman na. i sometimes use the "lift foot from gas pedal slightly technique" to make it upshift sooner, from 1st to 2nd it upshifts at 1,500rpm if i do the technique, yun nga lang jerky ang pag upshift. reminds me of my old civic ek.its irritating on stop and go traffic wherein the transmission shifts back from 1st to 2nd gear and vice versa. but on acceleration (trans shifts from 1-4) everything seems fine.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    6km/liter? isn't it too much?

somehow I can relate your jerky shifting with our a/t townace. when the tranny started to do late upshift, it jerks when engaging to 2nd gear. while 3rd-4th is smooth. the fuel consumption almost doubled...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bratski View Post
    i just got the unit a few months ago,its a 2005 model, and i was wondering if all innova vvti a/t's are jerky shifters. my current fuel consumption is at 6km/liter. since im pretty lightfooted ramdam ko talaga yung jerkiness shifting from 1-2, from 2-3 and 3-4 smooth naman na. ........reminds me of my old civic ek.its irritating on stop and go traffic wherein the transmission shifts back from 1st to 2nd gear and vice versa. but on acceleration (trans shifts from 1-4) everything seems fine.
    Toyota A/T trannys are not jerky at all - even the lowly revo is not jerky. I agree, though, that Honda tranny's are (Civic VVTi, circa 1997).

And for a VVTi, 6kms / liter is kinda low.... but then I don't own an Innova. I do own an altis 1.6 VVTi and the usual FC city is 8-9 kms/liter.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    bai attyallanlatras, how much km/l do you get with your Innova G vvti?

I agree with leonleon. I'm bit surprised with woohoo's Avanza at nalito nga ako eh... kasi yung mga subic hilux, land cruiser, etc are not jerky at all. yung mga mekaniko lang ang jerks. mali ang pagkakabit sa kickdown cable.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try to change first your ATF. Just check what the owner's manual states on the type (most likely Dexron II or III).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Try to change first your ATF. Just check what the owner's manual states on the type (most likely Dexron II or III).
    hi there vinj, my owners manual doesn't state the atf type, thats what i plan to do to see if there are changes.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    bai attyallanlatras, how much km/l do you get with your Innova G vvti?

I agree with leonleon. I'm bit surprised with woohoo's Avanza at nalito nga ako eh... kasi yung mga subic hilux, land cruiser, etc are not jerky at all. yung mga mekaniko lang ang jerks. mali ang pagkakabit sa kickdown cable.
    So far its 6km/l. City Driving pa ang nagawa ko dito sa Cebu.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Innova A/T questions