New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    question lang po sa mga naka vvti a/t, napansin ko kasi na yung a/t likes to stay in first gear longer than usual and medyo jerky pa ang shifting niya from 1st to 2nd.sa ibang cars ko kasi pag around 20kmh usually nasa 2nd gear na and nag downshift lang to 1st pag almost complete stop na. yung sa innova ko laging nagtatagal sa 1st. from 3rd to 4th naman smooth ang shift. ano kaya dapat ko i-check? and ano pala atf type ng vvti a/t? thanks

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's the rpm that determines when the auto tranny shifts and not your speed.

it could be puno ka or heavy load kaya it takes longer for your tranny to shift. if not, better inform your SA about it on your next pms.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brubeck View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but i think it's the rpm that determines when the auto tranny shifts and not your speed.

it could be puno ka or heavy load kaya it takes longer for your tranny to shift. if not, better inform your SA about it on your next pms.
    Aside from being loaded, you could be on an incline or you're just stepping on the gas to hard.

Good Luck.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    actually it happens whether im the only one inside (no cargo and on flat roads).im bothered by the jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd (kinda like the civic ek's shifting), however from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th the shifting is smooth. and at 20kph the transmission shifts down to 1st even though the gradient is flat and im light on the throttle. another thing, regarding the atf of the innova, what kind of atf can i use in replacement? toyota branded atf are way too costly.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brubeck View Post
    The rpm ALONG with the speed is what info the AT needs in order to shift to the correct gear.

You can know the shift point (the specific speed where your AT upshifts) by staying in one rpm band (somewhere between 2,000-3,000 with petrol engines, with diesels, it's around 1,700rpm).

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    is the innova a/t using old kickdown system?
    hindi ba nakikita ang type of ATF mark sa dipstick mo?
    how old is the car?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bratski View Post
    question lang po sa mga naka vvti a/t, napansin ko kasi na yung a/t likes to stay in first gear longer than usual and medyo jerky pa ang shifting niya from 1st to 2nd.sa ibang cars ko kasi pag around 20kmh usually nasa 2nd gear na and nag downshift lang to 1st pag almost complete stop na. yung sa innova ko laging nagtatagal sa 1st. from 3rd to 4th naman smooth ang shift. ano kaya dapat ko i-check? and ano pala atf type ng vvti a/t? thanks
    FWIW, ganyan din ang Avanza G A/T ko (jerky upshift from 1 to 2, pero smooth na after that). Mas ramdam kung lightfooted ka.

I can make it shift at around 15kph sometimes, pero on the average, siguro it shifts at 18-20kph, 2000-2050 rpm. Tapos pag-shift niya, babalik sa ~1500rpm. Sa other gears, usually shifts at 2050-2100rpm, tapos bababa sa 1800-1900rpm depende sa tapak.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I just recently took home an Innova G a/t. I was told by the toyota agent that on a steep road, I will have to maintain it on D, and not on 2 or L. Is he right? I was of the impression that 2 and L are for climbing steep road. He said that 2 and L are for downhill road. Please enlighten me on this. Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    additional questions:

has it been like that before?
    did the fuel consumption increase?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    I just recently took home an Innova G a/t. I was told by the toyota agent that on a steep road, I will have to maintain it on D, and not on 2 or L. Is he right? I was of the impression that 2 and L are for climbing steep road. He said that 2 and L are for downhill road. Please enlighten me on this. Thanks.
    Halos ganyan nga ang sabi sa manual... Please read it. Marami kang matututunan dun.

I'm sure the manual for your Innova A/T will say something similar to the following...

Page 91 of Avanza Owner's Guide says:

(middle of the page)

NOTICE ...

Do not continue hill climbing or hard towing for a long time in the "2" or "L" position. This may cause severe automatic transmission damage from overheating. To prevent such damage, "D" position should be used in hill climbing or hard towing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Innova A/T questions