New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Hello car enthusiast!

I have a stock Toyota Corolla XL year 2000 model with 2E (1.3L) carburated engine. And I feel so under powered compared to other stock out there.

I’ve been researching here on the internet on how increase its power with minimal cost, less noise and maintain its fuel efficiency and was disappointed. I have read that high flow air intake and headers has no effect on 2E’s. Is this accurate? Is there any other after market parts that will increase noticeable HP except bolting on turbo’s?

I have also read some suggestions that it is better and more cost effective if you swap the 2E to 4E-FTE or 4A-GE engines. And I think 4A’s has a bigger displacement. Will it fit perfectly well on 2000 corollas?

How much will that engine cost brand new? Where can I get one here in my country? (Philippines) Will my stock transmission system, suspension system and breaks still work with that engine? Or do I have to replace them all to?

I appreciate any additional advices and inputs from you experts here. Thanks in advance.

FABC.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warayauto View Post
    Hello car enthusiast!

I have a stock Toyota Corolla XL year 2000 model with 2E (1.3L) carburated engine. And I feel so under powered compared to other stock out there.
    I dont get it? you have a 2000 corolla w/ a 2E motor? something fishy on that, can you recheck that pls.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^^ AFAIK. XL corolla's only have 2A engines. Like what mine is having ( 1996 model tho' )

Then 2E's are equipped in XE's

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Putting an Intake , Header, exhaust will give you additional horsepower to your engine compared to stock Toyota 2E motor . It will also cost you around 6,000 to 7,000 complete exhaust system. You will also feel the difference in acceleration .Changing your engine to
    The most powerful of the 16-valve 4A-GE engines, commonly known as the "red top" (due to the red writing), which produces 140 PS (100 kW; 140 hp) at 6600 rpm
    This is the solution if you really want to feel the power of your car .
    Last time i inquire about the surplus motor 4A-GELU Black top 20valve 165 PS (121 kW; 163 hp) at 7800 rpm with 162 N·m (119 ft·lbf) at 5200 rpm of torque. is around 70,000.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I think is will be less costly to do an engine swap than modding a 1.3 engine to get more or less the same power.

A 1.3 efi stock engine tends to be more powerfull than a carburated stock engine.

If you need more, you can always get a 1.6 efi.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    I think is will be less costly to do an engine swap than modding a 1.3 engine to get more or less the same power.

A 1.3 efi stock engine tends to be more powerfull than a carburated stock engine.

If you need more, you can always get a 1.6 efi.
    Yup. Definitely.

If you're a sucker for punishment, you can get custom camshafts, a full exhaust and intake work and the head ported, polished and slightly shaved for more compression... a bone-stock 1.6 will still leave you for dead on a straight piece of road.

Turbocharge a 1.3 and you can get lots of power... but that money could be spent on a 20V swap that would still make more power, more reliably.

1.3 liter engines are fun because they're light and tend to rev quickly, but don't get your hopes up for actually producing significant power from them...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    a stock engine i think is a lot more reliable than a modded engine at its design limits.

Engine swap na. :devil:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    more than the power. EFI engine is more compatible to cheaper e10 unleaded. more practical upgrade imho.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Drop in a 3SGE and make lots more power. :evillaugh

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    *4agze: Yep, I’m sure. I’ve checked and recheck It’s engraved on the engine serial no. and it is on the small metal plate that is bolted on the engine bay near the windshield wipers base.(somewhere around there) what do you mean something fishy? Isn’t that supposed to be its engine? I’m also sure that it’s an XL.

*renzo_d10: I don’t know but its 2E. 2000 model Corolla, the boxy type. The design that is close to Civic esi. Having said that, what is actually the main deference between 2A and 2E? Is 2E the better of the two since its on XE model? How come my XL has the 2E?

*speed unlimited: I see. That’s great to know that headers and intakes actually add a bit HP and is noticeable on 2E’s. But will it change the fuel consumption, reliability and engine noise that it produces? Do I have to custom made a headers and intakes for it? Or there are readily available in the market? How about the catalytic converter? Would that stay on?

*Meledson: I think I might have to skip the engine swapping idea for awhile. But if ever I choose that option. Is it possible to get a brand new engine? 4A-GE, 1.6 EFI Etc…

*niky: I think I’m skipping that idea. My 2E engine is still fresh since it’s rarely used.

*basti08: Is Petron XCS an unleaded gasoline? I used to use the Petron unleaded and change to XCS since it has higher octane rating. Do you think it’s just ok?

BDW, what kind of spark plug do you recommend on 2E?

Thanks a lot to you experts who replied. You really are a big help to me. Please just keep it coming guyz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How to increase noticeable HP on a stock 1.3L engine Toyota Corolla (2000)