New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Time to buy an MRAP. Something like this, perhaps: Conquest Vehicles | Home

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    ^is that the same car used by the rock in fnf5?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noobskie View Post
    Details of the incident? Unless you're able to provide all of these in detail, there's really no way you can say this so-called "third-world SUV" weak in protecting its passengers. For all you know, some 4-5 star vehicle rated in crash testing could have suffered a similar or even worse fate given the same circumstances.

Lesson? Drive safely, if trucks/buses try to bully you on the road, just let them pass and avoid them. That's their only way of boosting their pride and make them feel good about themselves. At least you'll be driving this nice looking car you bought with your own money.
    Physics will definitle help a lot if details are complete of course. hehehe

Sana may mayamang ipagbannga yung Fort at mga 1st world SUV. joke

Ito previous thread showing Fort being hit in the side by a jeepney. Tignan niyo, tibay naman. http://tsikot.com/forums/goon-squad-...ccident-24552/

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    *foresterx, niky
    I think you're missing my point. Take a closer look at those tests. The impact always happens at bumper level. And the barrier is always flat and level with the bumper of the car being tested. Compare that impact to 2 vehicles, both with say 4 star crash ratings. One is an suv with tall tires, one a sedan.

vs

Don't you guys think the roadster hitting that barrier is different from hitting the suv? I don't think the suv will hit the roadster square on the bumper. It'll most likely roll over it.
    Being hit in the bumper (thus chassis rigidity helps) is different than being hit above the bumpers as shown by the pics above. May factor din yun IMHO.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    ^is that the same car used by the rock in fnf5?
    Parang pero toned down a bit.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    *foresterx
    Yup no argument there bro. I agree that bigger isn't necessarily safer. The point I wanted to make was that given a head on collision between 2 cars with the same or similar crash ratings but different bumper/chassis levels (one being closer to the ground, one being significantly higher than the first), the car with the lower level from the ground will probably be less safer. Say like the Opel roadster I posted before vs the Volvo suv, both with similar crash rating scores. Hitting a stationary barrier the same level as your car is different from hitting something moving that would hit you at the level of your windshield. I personally wouldn't feel safe hitting a Fortuner head on with the same roadster despite the 4 star crash rating.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *foresterx
    Yup no argument there bro. I agree that bigger isn't necessarily safer. The point I wanted to make was that given a head on collision between 2 cars with the same or similar crash ratings but different bumper/chassis levels (one being closer to the ground, one being significantly higher than the first), the car with the lower level from the ground will probably be less safer. Say like the Opel roadster I posted before vs the Volvo suv, both with similar crash rating scores. Hitting a stationary barrier the same level as your car is different from hitting something moving that would hit you at the level of your windshield. I personally wouldn't feel safe hitting a Fortuner head on with the same roadster despite the 4 star crash rating.
    i agree with you if both have the same crash safety rating i'd rather be in the suv pero that depends din on what kind of suv. lets say my forester(which has a 5 star crash rating) is about to hit an mb s550 head on, i'd rather be on the s550 since yung kaha niya mas matigas kesa sa subaru.

but for me i'd rather be in a sedan that has a 5 star crash rating than an suv with out one. if there is a slight chance that i might survive in a fatal crash if i was on a safer car, then i'd take that chance no matter how small it is rather than have no chance at surviving at all.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    *foresterx
    The Fort's bumper is only at the same level as the engine bay of a roadster. It will still run into the crash structure instead of straight through the pillars.

A glancing blow to the windshield is not as strong as a head-on blow to the bumper. In other words, you're talking about someone's punch grazing your cheek versus hitting you square in the kisser. Which do you think will hurt more? Unless the car has 1980's pillars which shear off on impact, the A-pillars will be enough to deflect the force upward and away from the passenger cabin. That's why they're not concerned with a barrier impact straight to the windshield of a vehicle (because cars won't be hitting barriers there... trucks, maybe, but the law requires them to have lower bumpers now). This is also the same logic (supported by engineering data) that causes airbag triggers to ignore off-set blows or glancing crashes.

I wouldn't feel safe in a roadster because there's no roof triangulating the A-pillars. But a small car? Perfectly fine. As long as said small car has a 4 or 5 star rating, and is not an early 90's tin can or a utility van (HiAce/Urvan/L300 style) that crumples flat when hit by a bus.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    All bumpers are not level...to each its own bumper height.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    And yet, as you can see, the Lambo's roof holds.

You're talking about a car that's so low that you're looking up at guys riding in slammed Civics, with a front end that slopes down so low that even a Vios would ride over it in a crash.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    All bumpers are not level...to each its own bumper height.

Tawag dyan, pina-amoy ng bayag. Of course iba-iab talaga level ng bumpers ng cars. Its a given. Kaya in a collision, wait,

Iwasan an alang yan mas mabuti pa.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Fortuner SUV vs Killer Bus