New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Agreed, 20W-50 is way too thick. This is why you have difficult cold starts in the morning. Switch to a lighter weight oil such as 10W-30 or 10W-40.

That is also my suspicion as far as hard starting is concerned. And from what I've read here in tsikot.com and on the web, most of engine wear is caused by cold starts.

So, my difficult cold starts in the morning is causing more engine wear than necessary.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    My car (Innova gas a/t G) is new, just had its 1k pms sa casa. The regular engine oil + filter costs me P 1,400 only. While if I had it full synthetic it would cost me P 5,200.00. Due to financial concerns, I intend to have a regular change oil every 5k pms with the regular oil (which I think is 20W-50) + new filter. Would this be ok? In other words, hindi ako magpakarga nang full synthetic dahil sa gastos. Ok lang kaya?

Considering your car is new ... ahem ... shiny pa .... hehehe ... do read around the web for recommended oils. I think your new car would benefit most from using lighter oils and fully synthetic oils.

But dont take my word for it, I'm also new to cars and all that.

I'm not familiar with Toyota warranty. But if you can change oil outside of casa, there are options better than P5,200.

If the veteran tsikoteers here think that 20w-50 is too thick for my 8 yr old car, I think 20w-50 would also be too thick for your brand new Innova.

Considering it has just ran 1k or so, good timing ang pag research mo ngayon about motor oils. At least you can plan ahead for your next oil change.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It's cheap insurance, for the long run anyway, to start treating your car nicely when it's new. Switch to synthetic as soon as the break in period is over, it will provide less wear on the engine due to the more consistent viscosity across the temperature range.

Or if you really don't want to spend for the synthetic oils, synthetic blends (semi synthetic) are also available. Your car, your choice.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoteng View Post
    engine model is 2e. 1300cc. corolla 2000 lovelife model. I think it has the same engine as the corolla big body.

I was also thinking the 20w-50 might be too thick. If there's no major drawback, I think I'll try 5w-30 or 10w-30 on my next oil change.

If anybody here is using the same engine, I'd appreciate your feedback re which oil you tried and which oil you using now.
    here's the data for 2E:

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    bought the car 2nd hand ... no manual anymore.

Newbie question on the bushings though. Are bushings basically rubber pads ?
    bushing/engine support/ transmission support... iba iba ito for every model.. this is very important because this serves as the mounting for your engine and transmission, and lessens the vibration. so you need to regularly check the torque of that..

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    here's the data for 2E:

thanks. been looking for that info for a while.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by danieyoyo View Post
    bushing/engine support/ transmission support... iba iba ito for every model.. this is very important because this serves as the mounting for your engine and transmission, and lessens the vibration. so you need to regularly check the torque of that..
    thanks for the advice. any recommendations on auto repair shops that can do these ? preferably in manila or qc area.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    20W50 is a thick viscosity oil and designed for older engines.

Your best choices would be;
    Synthetic and/or synthetic blend
    Viscosity grades: 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40
    API rating: SM, SL, SJ

Mineral Based Oil
    Viscosity grades: 10W30, 10W40, 15W40, 15W50
    API Rating: SM, SL, SJ, SM/CF

I am also surprised why 20W50 viscosity is still being recommended and sold by many resellers and even 5 star service centers to newer and latest car/engine models.
    Newer engines needs thinner viscosity for quick response of oil rapidly spreading all over the engine cavity to protect engine parts from premature wear. Engines are now powerful and are made of aluminum alloy material.
    I still see many 20W50 grades and surprisingly rated at SM, SL or even SJ. If you will analyze the API milestone, correlate it with engine make/model, the 20W50 should be at the most rated SG. I think there is no sense rating it at SL or SM. Everytime I see a brand of oil with a grade of 20W50 and API rating SJ and above, that for me is a hogwash. I thought it to be a mislabeling and misrepresentation.
    Why cant some oil companies impart the correct technical specs & application to thier resellers??
    This type of oil have been used by our fathers or even grandfathers many many years ago for thier vehicles no longer produced or available now.

Therefore, I highly recommend 10W30 SM,SL,SJ Synthetic,synthetic blend or Mineral based oil. You will feel the difference, drag will be eliminated, noise and vibration if not minimized will be eliminated too. And a potential increase in mileage (fuel savings).

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    When I had a look around an Ace hardware and a Blade shop in SM San Lazaro, I wasn't able to find mineral oils thinner than 15w-40. Most were 20w-50.

Also, even synthetic oils being sold only had x-40. None had x-30. Quite a surprise.

By chance, do you know which shops carries mineral oils that are rated 10w-30 ?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    When I had a look around an Ace hardware and a Blade shop in SM San Lazaro, I wasn't able to find mineral oils thinner than 15w-40. Most were 20w-50.

Also, even synthetic oils being sold only had x-40. None had x-30. Quite a surprise.

By chance, do you know which shops carries mineral oils that are rated 10w-30 ?
    You can try Ace at SM Manila (Arrroceros), I supposed thats the nearest to SM Sn. Lazaro. I'm sure they have 5W30 both synthetic and semi- sytnthetic. I use MAG 1 5W30 for my car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
correct motor oil for my corolla