New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    So with the throttle controller, you make the pedal more sensitive? The manifold butterfly will open quicker since the signal telling it to open is boosted?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm doing research for my Dad's Innova G A/T gas. Despite having either a K&N or Hurricane filter already, throttle response is still very sluggish from the get-go. High end power is ok, but from stand still or low speed, it's very weak. Don't want to fiddle around with the exhaust first coz iingay yun for sure. Perhaps this will help solve the problem...
    Have you looked into a Unichip upgrade? Maybe they can tune the engine for a little less peak hp but better low-end? I agree on not fiddling with the exhaust as this may even make the situation worse by increasing top-end hp and further dropping your low-end.

The 2.0 vvti engine of the Innova isn't underpowered out right. Its really more of the power band coming in at a high rpm (peak torque is at 4K rpm) or gearing that is too tall.

The gearing can spell a big difference. In our D4D Hiace Grandia, the first gear is a little tall so in spite of its being a diesel, if you're hanging on a steep ramp/incline, you still need to feed the throttle with a healthy dose and balance the clutch out before releasing (lest the engine stall). In contrast, our old 2.8L diesel Hilux 4x4 which has short gearing and less HP/torque then the D4d wouldnt even sweat on the same incline even if i just lazily dropped the clutch from standstill.

Best is to just really know how to do the pedal inputs and anticipate.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Have you looked into a Unichip upgrade? Maybe they can tune the engine for a little less peak hp but better low-end? I agree on not fiddling with the exhaust as this may even make the situation worse by increasing top-end hp and further dropping your low-end.

The 2.0 vvti engine of the Innova isn't underpowered out right. Its really more of the power band coming in at a high rpm (peak torque is at 4K rpm) or gearing that is too tall.

The gearing can spell a big difference. In our D4D Hiace Grandia, the first gear is a little tall so in spite of its being a diesel, if you're hanging on a steep ramp/incline, you still need to feed the throttle with a healthy dose and balance the clutch out before releasing (lest the engine stall). In contrast, our old 2.8L diesel Hilux 4x4 which has short gearing and less HP/torque then the D4d wouldnt even sweat on the same incline even if i just lazily dropped the clutch from standstill.

Best is to just really know how to do the pedal inputs and anticipate.
    Thanks vinj. But I'm not intending to go the Unichip/serious mods route, especially since this ride will be used by a few different drivers other than just my Dad.

I also don't think that the Innova's 2.0 VVTi engine is underpowered for a petrol engine which is why I'm not looking for more horses, though it really is better matched to higher highway speeds (170 kph is doable bonestock). We have a manual 2.0 VVTi, and that's really a better drive. We're pretty happy with that unit's performance. IMO, it's really the automatic transmission that's suspect in this case. I'm not sure if the 2.0J VVTi is DBW already, but since you can play with the right 'timpla', the delay with the throttle is not evident. With the auto tranny, there is no 'timpla' so you really have to wait for the engine to rev up.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby75 View Post
    Eco mode has 5 steps - 5 gives the longest delay between throttle and engine response

normal mode- bypass

sports mode has 7 steps - 7 gives the fastest engine response.

No power increase.
    When you turn off and leave the car, what happens to the settings? Do they go back to 'Norm'?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    from experience in a 4 month old innova vvti, all stock, from the hanging "underpass" in sm megamall coming from full stop, you really have to press the accelerator pedal more than halfway to achieve a good response from the throttle end, if not, you'll end up lugging your engine which is bad - fuel is still cheaper than engine repair.

coming from 2 cars, you really can't compare the throttle response of sedans with an mpv, but you can make it function that way but addons such as throttle controller, etc...

imho, just keep in mind what you are driving (if you constantly switch to/from car/mpv). it's all in the foot - less gastos kung baga. as far as engine is concerned, the only thing i sort of modified is the knn drop in, nothing else. also bear in mind the delay in a 2trfe engine given that this is electronic throttle, not cable, so expect some delays.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmm... given that it is drive-by-wire, possibly the design is really for smoothness and fuel efficiency. Hence, the much larger pedal play required to elicit more from the engine.

If it still had a throttle cable, adjusting it for less slack could have helped ease the pain. I got better throttle response and an extra 10kph from our LC80's top speed before by doing this (shop's fault though, they loosened the cable too much).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Bit the bullet and got a Shadow E-Drive controller. SP7 does feel lighter and more responsive from the get-go. So far have only tested it in city traffic. No long open roads to test the rest of the powerband. But this is interesting...

Downside, for me, somehow, it doesn't have memory. So when you turn the car off and then start it again, it goes back to 'Norm'. Would've been nice to kabit and forget, but then at least pag ibang driver, back to stock response. Hehehe!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Was smiling in traffic yesterday. Tried SP5-7. A very light tap will get the Innova lunging. Hehehe! Although hindi nawala yung inherent lack of low-mid torque ng gas engines vs diesels, getting it revving higher was a cinch. Liking this so far.

Also tried ECO1-5. Max throttle delay indeed.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Guys you may try this, nabasa ko sa ibang forums and tried it already, effective sya.

"If you are experiencing throttle lag issue sa mga GM nyo coming from a full stop, this might help. I got this from a friend who owns a vios and complained about the throttle lag. Unfortunately, he did not get help from the Toyota dealer where he got his new vios and decided to write an e-mail to Toyota Japan out of desperation. Out of sheer luck, he got a reply and advised to do the following.

The procedure:
    - Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

- Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth motion - just do it at a normal speed (take about 2-3 seconds to hit bottom).

- Let it up, as soon as you hit the bottom.

- Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

- Start the engine up normally and drive.

May have to repeat 3 times for the Computer Training to complete
    this procedure trains the throttle variable switch to the throttle body servo motor. May need to be redone everytime you flash the PCM.

According to the e-mail, this is applicable for all servo motor controlled throttle body, which in other words -- drive by wire throttle body assembly, which how honda calls it."

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy kisig View Post
    Guys you may try this, nabasa ko sa ibang forums and tried it already, effective sya.

"If you are experiencing throttle lag issue sa mga GM nyo coming from a full stop, this might help. I got this from a friend who owns a vios and complained about the throttle lag. Unfortunately, he did not get help from the Toyota dealer where he got his new vios and decided to write an e-mail to Toyota Japan out of desperation. Out of sheer luck, he got a reply and advised to do the following.

The procedure:
    - Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

- Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth motion - just do it at a normal speed (take about 2-3 seconds to hit bottom).

- Let it up, as soon as you hit the bottom.

- Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

- Start the engine up normally and drive.

May have to repeat 3 times for the Computer Training to complete
    this procedure trains the throttle variable switch to the throttle body servo motor. May need to be redone everytime you flash the PCM.

According to the e-mail, this is applicable for all servo motor controlled throttle body, which in other words -- drive by wire throttle body assembly, which how honda calls it."
    will also Try this one tonight...
    Thanks for the info...

God Bless!!!

P.S.
    maalala ko... ganito nga pala ang tyle ko dati sa FX ko... turo ito sa akin ng mekaniko sa pasay. pero Carb type naman ang FX. after FX nag kotse ako na Lancer 02 pizza hindi ko na ginagawa kasi matulin na 'yung sedan. anyway, will do practice it again for my Innova. humahataw naman ang ride natin 'yun nga lang needed mo ng konting selinyador para ka sumikad, aggressive driving ika nga wherein malakas naman sa Gas. GOD BLESS!!!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Uy! Updates on this please

For the E-throttle controller, backed off from SP7. For some reason, while at this setting, the throttle was still deciding on when and how much power needs to be applied. Weird.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Bakit hirap sa arangkada iyung Innove E VVTI 2010 ko kapag nasa hanging....