New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Good day mga chief, quick question lang.

Does the 2002 - 2003 Toyota Altis J model have ABS? or only the E - G model does?

Thank you all for your time

Cheers!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I have a 2004 Altis J and it doesn't have ABS. so I assume na wala din yung lower year models.

Buti pa yung bagong Vios. kahit J may ABS. may airbags pa.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerolla View Post
    I have a 2004 Altis J and it doesn't have ABS. so I assume na wala din yung lower year models.

Thanks for the input chief... I guess my hunch was right all along... but do you agree that it is still a decent maneuverable car (particularly on curves and when sudden braking and turning is required) in spite the lack of this specific feature?

Pahabol question lang.. sorry about that.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
    Thanks for the input chief... I guess my hunch was right all along... but do you agree that it is still a decent maneuverable car (particularly on curves and when sudden braking and turning is required) in spite the lack of this specific feature?

Pahabol question lang.. sorry about that.
    ABS just means you can stomp on the brakes AND steer at the same time, without lockup.

In an emergency that will be useful, but in reality most people don't even push their brakes close to the ABS-triggering threshold. Worse, most people don't know when their ABS is actually working - the giveaway is when there's a strong pulsing judder through your brake pedal, meaning the brakes are pumping open and closed many times a second. The uninitiated would tend to let go of the brake pedal if this happens - which is what you don't want to do.

Even more telling is ABS requires a minimum speed to work. It won't work below 25 km/h or so.

No ABS doesn't mean a car's bad. It's no super-brake; ABS can actually lengthen the distance it takes for your car to come to a full stop vs. no ABS. It's all in how you drive.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    ABS just means you can stomp on the brakes AND steer at the same time, without lockup.

In an emergency that will be useful, but in reality most people don't even push their brakes close to the ABS-triggering threshold. Worse, most people don't know when their ABS is actually working - the giveaway is when there's a strong pulsing judder through your brake pedal, meaning the brakes are pumping open and closed many times a second. The uninitiated would tend to let go of the brake pedal if this happens - which is what you don't want to do.

Even more telling is ABS requires a minimum speed to work. It won't work below 25 km/h or so.

No ABS doesn't mean a car's bad. It's no super-brake; ABS can actually lengthen the distance it takes for your car to come to a full stop vs. no ABS. It's all in how you drive.
    Thank you very much chief Type 100 for your very insightful input.

Truth be told it really does ball down on how you drive so better to just drive safely than be sorry in the end.

Thanks again for your insight chief

Cheers!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerolla View Post

i think the current vios J does not have ABS, and it only has a driver side airbag

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My personal view on ABS is its nice to have but not really needed. Its also another thing that may fail. If it does, expect to spend a lot.

Had a A32 Cefiro whose ABS module failed. It caused the brake pedals to become too soft. Brakes still works but the pedal sinks. Took the car to 3 trusted shops and they couldn't diagnose it correctly. Finally brought it to the dealer. They were only able to diagnose it by replacing each and every brake part with test parts until they nailed it. They wanted over 100,000 pesos for the part. A guy from Banawe was offering the same part for around 30,000 but my gut was telling me it was chop chop so I passed. I traded the car in for a new car.

My other car has a busted ABS sensor. Darned part is part of the wheel bearing assembly. To fix it I have to replace the whole assembly. I just let it be. I drive around with the ABS light on the dashboard.

In my 20 years of driving, I only recall about 1 time that the ABS turned on. It was when my car slipped on snow and ice. It did not save me from going up the sidewalk.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    My personal view on ABS is its nice to have but not really needed. Its also another thing that may fail. If it does, expect to spend a lot.

Had a A32 Cefiro whose ABS module failed. It caused the brake pedals to become too soft. Brakes still works but the pedal sinks. Took the car to 3 trusted shops and they couldn't diagnose it correctly. Finally brought it to the dealer. They were only able to diagnose it by replacing each and every brake part with test parts until they nailed it. They wanted over 100,000 pesos for the part. A guy from Banawe was offering the same part for around 30,000 but my gut was telling me it was chop chop so I passed. I traded the car in for a new car.

My other car has a busted ABS sensor. Darned part is part of the wheel bearing assembly. To fix it I have to replace the whole assembly. I just let it be. I drive around with the ABS light on the dashboard.

In my 20 years of driving, I only recall about 1 time that the ABS turned on. It was when my car slipped on snow and ice. It did not save me from going up the sidewalk.
    Great insight, thanks. I didn't know replacing ABS wheel sensors would sink so much of our money! 100K can get you a brand-new engine or three.

I've never owned a car with ABS so I've learned how to drive without relying on it, even on racetracks. That said, maybe it's unrealistic for everyone to undergo training in cadence braking (aka "human ABS") or performance driving just to cope with a car without ABS...so it's a "nice to have" feature for non-enthusiast drivers.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Great insight, thanks. I didn't know replacing ABS wheel sensors would sink so much of our money! 100K can get you a brand-new engine or three.

I've never owned a car with ABS so I've learned how to drive without relying on it, even on racetracks. That said, maybe it's unrealistic for everyone to undergo training in cadence braking (aka "human ABS") or performance driving just to cope with a car without ABS...so it's a "nice to have" feature for non-enthusiast drivers.
    *userfriendly

Thank you very much as well for your informative feedback. I too never expected an ABS related problem could cost so much. Thinking about it now and looking back, our first car was a 97 Kia Pride CD5 which had no such features like ABS, Break Assist, AirBags, and not even power steering, and yet, we went on a lot of really out-of-town trips with no problem at all aside from the occasional bus overtaking us on the highways and shaking the car like it was going to break in half hehehe.

*type 100

So there is actually a training called cadence braking? for race car drivers I presume? do you race ba chief? on what vehicle class and which track?

And your right; I guess it would be more safer to learn to drive like you don't have one, than to drive like a lunatic thinking that having ABS alone will be more than enough to keep you from getting into an accident.

Thank you both again for your very thorough and insightful feedback.

Cheers!

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006

Actually its the ABS module of my Cefiro that cost 100K. Its basically the abs control module. Its located in teh engine bay right under the brake master and hydrovac. It looks like a silver colored rectangular box with lots of small pipes.

The ABS sensors can normally be fixed by just cleaning the part. Its just too bad that with my Chevy, its an assembly and cant be cleaned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
ABS Question