New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstealyourgirl View Post
    Wtf they’re using the old 3.0 pala?? Timing belt pa yan haha. When the first facelift came out 2 years ago, I thought they included the 2.8 in the changes. PH market nalang ata ang gumagamit ng 3.0 for Prado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toyota knows that they have a fiercely loyal customer base in the Philippines. Even if they send units here with older tech, it'll still be gobbled up. It's only the guys who participate in car forum discussions who know about the difference in the specs.
    Wtf they’re using the old 3.0 pala?? Timing belt pa yan haha. When the first facelift came out 2 years ago, I thought they included the 2.8 in the changes. PH market nalang ata ang gumagamit ng 3.0 for Prado.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    JPEPA ang possible reason..

kung 2.8 GD engine, baka mas mataas pa ang price kaysa sa LC200..

kaya mas maraming order ang LC200, kahit sa kabilang bakod na pajero BK, 6months bago dumating ang unit..

Medyo weird nga, mas marami pa akong nakikita na rubicon at alphard, lahat ito gasoline at V6 pa...

If ever naman na talagang gusto kumuha ng LC150 at GD engine..

as long as na kilala ang may ari ng franchise branch or merong malakas na connection sa distributor, at merong deep pocket..

walang imposible

3. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by playplugg View Post
    JPEPA ang possible reason..

kung 2.8 GD engine, baka mas mataas pa ang price kaysa sa LC200..

kaya mas maraming order ang LC200, kahit sa kabilang bakod na pajero BK, 6months bago dumating ang unit..

Medyo weird nga, mas marami pa akong nakikita na rubicon at alphard, lahat ito gasoline at V6 pa...

If ever naman na talagang gusto kumuha ng LC150 at GD engine..

as long as na kilala ang may ari ng franchise branch or merong malakas na connection sa distributor, at merong deep pocket..

walang imposible
    Bakit magiging mas mahal siya sa LC200? Eh parehas namang silang made in Japan 2018 Toyota LC Prado

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Bakit magiging mas mahal siya sa LC200? Eh parehas namang silang made in Japan 2018 Toyota LC Prado

Engine Displacement..

3.0 above, diesel man or gasoline, merong exemption pag related sa tax... lalo kung OEM, at japan galing

5. Join Date
    May 2016
    The Prado with 3.0L 1KD-FTV does not qualify under the JPEPA tax exemption. Only vehicles with engine displacement exceeding 3,000cc qualify. 1KD-FTV only displaces 2,982cc. That's why there's such a big price discrepancy between the Prado 4L V6 Petrol at 3M and Prado 3L Diesel at 4M.

Last gen Prado LC120 also got the 1KD-FTV on its last update in 2007 for international markets but TMP retained the 1KZ-TE in ours.

We could have gotten the 1GD but TMP decided to scrimp on features as usual. JPEPA was never the issue since either engine wouldn't qualify the Prado to begin with.

6. Join Date
    May 2017
    Isn't the prado using timing chain naman?

7. Join Date
    May 2017
    The prado has KDSS... but aside from that in terms of engine or interior... In what way is the interior of prado far more upscale than the TOTL fort?

Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    a prado is a prado. just that. only for the chosen few.. interior is far more upscale vs the fort...we are not talking about practicality in this car segment.. men who buy this are moneyed and wants to be different.. If I'll get a Prado, ill buy the gas version... cheaper than its diesel brethren but with same interior goodies..

8. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    The prado has KDSS... but aside from that in terms of engine or interior... In what way is the interior of prado far more upscale than the TOTL fort?
    The engine and transmission are inferior to those in the fort, features are at par, material quality should be very similar. I'd say the prado attempts to justify its price premium is that it's
    1. larger in every dimension but just barely (not sure about length but the fortuner is already on the short end of the class anyway). The TB, Eve, and MU-X are better size alternatives.
    2. power flat folding rear seats as opposed to the fort's jurassic side folding mechanism (Eve has this w/ the premium package, other Eve variants, MU-X, and TB but unpowered)
    3. "Made in Japan" - It's not like the fort isn't. I'm sure much of it is also from Japan, just assembled in Thailand. I personally wouldn't pay much extra for something to be made in Japan instead of Thailand. It's just a prestige thing, really.
    4. Development costs - it doesn't get to split costs with another model (Hilux x Fort x Innova) so we have to pay for a larger share of the dev't costs
    5. High labor costs in Japan
    6. Higher excise taxes due to higher purchasing price from manufacturer
    7. Tariffs - the fort is from another ASEAN country after all
    8. Land Cruiser name - you have to pay for that, too. Note that in Australia, this class (MS, Pajero, Fort, Prado, Eve, TB, MU-X) is significantly more expensive than it is here with the same spec level except for the prado. The prado is better equipped there (6AT, 2.8L Diesel) but still cheaper.

tl; dr - The prado has minor advantages and a couple disadvantages, but not P1.8M worth of advantages, maybe P180K but I feel like that's pushing it.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Isn't the prado using timing chain naman?
    The 1KD uses a timing belt.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Prado is using a different platform altogether, without any relation to the Fortuner. It’s bigger inside and out, and heavier. It’s better equipped for off road with full-time 4WD, differential locks and multi-terrain select (mud, snow, etc). The suspension is also better not just the shocks and springs, but whole suspension design and geometry. Its comfortable but doesn’t squat even when it’s fully loaded or when you’re towing. Also being a “Land Cruiser” and being made in Japan, those are big pluses for resale value hehe.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast