Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]Gov’t urged to lift ‘coding’
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]By ELISA OSORIO
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]The Philippine Star

With the dwindling number of vehicles on the road because of the high cost of fuel, there may be no more need for the number coding traffic scheme.

"It was supposed to be a temporary measure because the government could not think of other ways to ease traffic, but now I don’t see the need anymore," Sergio Ortiz-Luis, Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) chairman, said.

"Because of high oil prices, people have started taking public transportation and traffic has been reduced considerably," he said in an interview.

Data from the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) showed that the number of cars used in Metro Manila went down by 10 percent in June from the previous month’s figure.

"If we have to see something positive in the rising prices of oil then maybe it’s the decrease in travel time for motorists," Ortiz-Luis surmised.

Since January, diesel and gasoline prices have increased by P16 per liter. Oil companies said they still need to recover P8 to P10 per liter given the runaway prices of crude in the world market.

Oil companies have been raising their prices almost every week. Pump prices rose for the 18th time this year last Saturday.

The continued weakening of the peso against the dollar has also affected fuel prices.

Flying V chairman Ramon Villavicencio has proposed a one-time increase in fuel prices of P10.

Consumer and Oil Price Watch chairman Raul Concepcion said diesel prices could even reach P70 by the end of August. Current diesel price is P54 per liter.
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage...StoryId=124524

Time to sell our 'coding cars'? Higher gas prices isnt too bad after all...
    Last edited by russpogi; July 9th, 2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: edited fonts for clarity...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm. if the government will lift coding, will the makati government oblige?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Yeah good question. Actually I dont need a coding car if Makati has the 10am - 3pm window.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo123 View Post
    Time to sell our 'coding cars'? Higher gas prices isnt too bad after all...
    Think of it... Car prices on the 2nd hand market would drop as more and more people cannot afford to use their cars due to high fuel prices. This is exactly why large engined vehicles (like the Ford Expedition) are so cheap on the used car market.

So its sell soon or suffer a sudden drop in used car prices.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    True that about large engined vehicles. 400-500k nets you an Expedition, and for 2nd gen Pajeros the diesels actually fetch much more than the V6s.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    nah. i think the more na dapat may coding para lalong bumawas ang gagamit ng sasakyan at kunsumo ng gas, this is of course if the system really works. lifting the coding may just encourage some people to bring their cars. pwedeng i-lift ang coding sa public transport kasi more people are commuting.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    hindi maganda ito...wag na nilang alisin...

in my opinion tingin ko mas ok pa na alisin na sa kalsada ang mga kotse na mahigit 20 yrs old na.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    hmmm. if the government will lift coding, will the makati government oblige?
    I don't think so, Makati is a Republic and has its own Gov't!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    nah. i think the more na dapat may coding para lalong bumawas ang gagamit ng sasakyan at kunsumo ng gas, this is of course if the system really works. lifting the coding may just encourage some people to bring their cars. pwedeng i-lift ang coding sa public transport kasi more people are commuting.
    The traffic coding hasn't really worked as intended because people (over the years) have adjusted by buying a "coding car".

Time to lift it.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullz View Post
    hindi maganda ito...wag na nilang alisin...

in my opinion tingin ko mas ok pa na alisin na sa kalsada ang mga kotse na mahigit 20 yrs old na.
    What about those of us who faithfully keep our old vehicles in good running order?

Why do we have to replace our vehicles if they are still good and not negatively contributing to the environment and traffic flow? Not all of us can afford to get newer vehicles hence we really take care of the one we have.

My rig is half way to the 20 year mark but is just as good or maybe slightly better than when it came out. Why must I give it up?

In my opinion, you can most likely apply the 20 year rule those vehicles that seem like they are only held together by the dirt on the body and similar conditions. Once this is applied, a LOT of vehicles will already be removed from the streets.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast