New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    bah, just buy super-galebs, su-25/39's or MiG-21's. if serbia can afford dozens them, i don't see why we can't
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Dream on... :sleepy:

But a reality check: How can we maintain a decent air force if the country has no funds to maintain even rubber dinghies or amphibious vehicles for use in calamities.

Priorities should go for creating good governance, a strong economy so that our dreams would come true.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji_DCP View Post
    Dream on... :sleepy:

But a reality check: How can we maintain a decent air force if the country has no funds to maintain even rubber dinghies or amphibious vehicles for use in calamities.

Priorities should go for creating good governance, a strong economy so that our dreams would come true.
    There was a time when the PAF could maintain its aircraft as well as any air force. The pilots and aircrew were well-trained as were the maintenance crews. In fact, I thought about staying in the Philippines and perhaps explore joining the PAF instead of going back here. Of course, that was when the US bases were still in the Philippines. There was a time when the PAF was the envy of many air forces in Asia even as late as the 70's. I'm sure there are many here who remember that time.

It's not a dream. The PAF have already been there. It's up to the collective will of those in charge if they want the PAF to relive the glory days. It costs money. There's no way around it.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 8th, 2009 at 09:40 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marg View Post
    Don't even count on it. Ibang-iba yung US-Jewish relationship sa US-Pinoy. Super Ultra-Special treatment ang nakukuha ng Israel. Tayo 4th-class treatment.

Israel gets the #1 amount in US Foreign aid, Egypt and Jordan gets a big chunk just to leave Israel in peace. US gave Israel nuclear materials and technology so that the country can defend itself against the aggressive neighbors.

Kaya Wishful thinking that US will give Pinoys their best weaponry and technology. Especially after the Pinoys kicked the American bases out and dented the US presence in the Pacific.
    I wasn't suggesting that we try and get US jet fighter technology coz its simply too expensive. Maganda, but you might as well devote all the country's GDP in purchasing them.

I'm a firm believer of Eastern Block (read: Russian) technology for the reason that they are easier to manufacture (copy), easier to maintain and easier to operate. If you'll check on other air forces around the world, Mig 21's are still in active service due to their simple and robust construction.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    not only are MiG 21's cheap and robust, their APU is sufficient enough for multiple tasks such as high power modules such as jammers given its relatively small airframe
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Mukhang upgrade model ng ganito pa rin ang bibilhin...

An S-211 from the 7th Tactical Fighter Squadron Squadron, Philippine Air Force

This is the fighter aircraft version

SIAI-Marchetti S.211 Basic Trainer. Philippine aircraft were assembled locally by PADC from kits.

A upgraded version of this will also be purchased..

The MD-520MG attack helicopters

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007

PLAAF J-10 single-seater fighter with PL-8 and PL-11 AAMs

The Jian-10 (J-10) is a multirole, all-weather fighter aircraft designed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions.

Rumors say that China offered this to the AFP....
    They are cheaper compared to US, European and Russian made...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    China planes? no thanks.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    F-22 - already beaten by the F-18, no plans for export, production is stopped, a bit overrated by its proponents like Karlo Kopp(as said by a NG colleague)
    I wouldn't use that as a basis for judging the F-22. When the F-15 and F-16 became the dominant USAF aircraft, some F-4 units (and F-5 aggressors) still managed to rack up many "kills" against the two newer aircraft. The USAF also got its butt kicked regularly when doing exercises against other air forces*. Yet, throughout the 25+ years of service life, how many F-15's and F-16's were shot down in air to air combat? I can't recall any.

I think it's too early to judge the F-22 based on a lone "kill" by an F-18. To put that in perspective, I'd like to see how many F-18's were "shot down" by the F-22. From other exercises I've heard, an F-22 took on 10 F-15's and emerged victorious. No details on the tactics used. But, I'll bet the F-22 pilot exploited his aircraft's advantages to the fullest.

* I recall reading in (1985 issue) Soldier of Fortune magazine an article about RAF Harriers having a 12:1 kill ratio against USAF F-5's, an 8:1 kill ratio against F-15's, and a 3:1 kill ratio against F-16's during exercises.

If the Harrier is such a bad a** fighter jet, why haven't other air forces lined up to buy it? That's because there's still a big divide between exercises and actual air to air combat.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 11th, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I have to agree with Jun on that, the jets are only part of the equation and the pilots and tactics are the other part of it. Similar to the Korean War when the F-86 and the Mig-15 were going at it in dog fights. The Mig-15 was supposed to be more superior in performance but the F-86 had better pilots and the F-86 won in battle because of the better pilots and tactics.
    Last edited by redorange; October 11th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Air Force to buy fighter jets by 2011