New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Use 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil, change your differential fluid to synthetic(try Royal Purple), tune up your engine, stay w/ stock size tires, don't drive fast since your vehicle has the aerodynamics of brick (meaning the faster you go the more resistance).

Stay with the lowest octane permitted in your engine, going with something higher just waste money and does not benefit your vehicle.
    Last edited by redorange; April 9th, 2008 at 04:21 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For the 2003 Sammy (You mean Jimny ba?), try to stay at a speed that's the lowest legally possible. You have a tall vehicle that's not aerodynamic, like redorange says... that leads to more drag. And your vehicle is built to off-road... so it's got short gearing... so stay slow to keep the engine ticking over at low rpms. 60-70 is probably the lowest speed legally permissible on the highway. Of course, a lot of idiots drive slower than that, but if you drive too slow, that's an invitation to disaster... having a bus doing 100 km/h fly up your backside is not fun.

You're doing most everything right... is your vehicle AWD? Keep it in 2WD mode for on-road driving. And if your car is really a Samurai (carburated) instead of a Jimny (EFI)... well... that might just be the normal fuel economy you're looking at... it's a relatively old SOHC engine, so it's not going to give you Honda-like consumption.

But take heart... some Honda and Toyota owners get similar consumption, too. It might be very possible for your car to do 10 km/l in the city... IN THE RIGHT CONDITIONS... but given the traffic, the summer heat and rush hour gridlock, 8 km/l might be the highest you can get.
    Last edited by niky; April 9th, 2008 at 04:08 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    thanks redorange

niky it samurai 2003 carburated. i always use 2WD on normal roads...

great help mga replies nyo...salamat

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Oh. Since carb siya... most likely, that's normal. Carburated engines are usually less efficient in traffic than fuel injected engines. Give it a good spritzing of carb cleaner and "choke" it once in a while (there should be a how-to on the net somewhere... basically, take the aircleaner off... run the engine... spray the carb with carb cleaner, and "choke" it by hand to loosen and remove deposits on the carb and jets... I used to do this with the Sentra)... but from what you've described, I believe your carb is okay and your consumption is normal.

There's always LPG... there are now metered (EFI-simulated) LPG kits for carburated vehicles.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Help,my sammy needs modification