New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    I have a power steering problem the service centers at banawe and even Honda casa itself can't solve.

It is stiff only the first 5 minutes in the morning.. then ok na the rest of day.

What could usually be the cause? The steering pump still sound good they (even Honda) say. I got a pressure hose replacement (hose going from power steering pump to rack and pinion) when I got it serviced 2 years ago. But there has been no morning stiffness.. it only started this year January 2. Honda told me to use original which has bigger diameter instead of the replacement because mahirap mag pump daw kung maliit diameter.. but why didn't the problem come out the past 2 years. Sayang naman if I changed to a 13,000 Honda hose and the problem still there.

Has anyone encountered this? ano possible cause? I read in internet if the rack and pinion is going bad.. it has this symptom.. I got my rack and pinion changed 2 years ago using replacement too. Original costs 50,000.

Any theories? Any experiences?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    I have a power steering problem the service centers at banawe and even Honda casa itself can't solve.

It is stiff only the first 5 minutes in the morning.. then ok na the rest of day.

What could usually be the cause? The steering pump still sound good they (even Honda) say. I got a pressure hose replacement (hose going from power steering pump to rack and pinion) when I got it serviced 2 years ago. But there has been no morning stiffness.. it only started this year January 2. Honda told me to use original which has bigger diameter instead of the replacement because mahirap mag pump daw kung maliit diameter.. but why didn't the problem come out the past 2 years. Sayang naman if I changed to a 13,000 Honda hose and the problem still there.

Has anyone encountered this? ano possible cause? I read in internet if the rack and pinion is going bad.. it has this symptom.. I got my rack and pinion changed 2 years ago using replacement too. Original costs 50,000.

Any theories? Any experiences?

You and your technician will find the answer easy if you perform a steering pressure test at a cold start and wait until engine warmup while the pressure gauge is still hooked up. There could be a problem with the pressure relief valve at the base of the pressure hose at the P/S pump

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Something could be blocking the flow of the fluid. Then when the fluid heats up a bit, the blockage softens and allows more flow. Just a guess.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    You and your technician will find the answer easy if you perform a steering pressure test at a cold start and wait until engine warmup while the pressure gauge is still hooked up. There could be a problem with the pressure relief valve at the base of the pressure hose at the P/S pump
    I went to a service center kanina.. they didn't have any pressure gauge.. are you supposed to insert this in between the power steering pump and pressure hose?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Pinalit na kanina yun steering pump pressure hose... pero ito huge problem...

The steering fluid is blackish. I told the technician to drain it. He couldn't open the rack and pinion assembly tubes. So he tried to open the end of the pressure hose and let it drain there.. then he told me to turn on the engine.. he lets it drain while adding new fluid to the reservoir... this process emptied the steering fluid in the rack and pinion.

When I tried to turn the wheel.. the rack and pinion made a big noise. Later. After he screwed the end of the pressure hose and closed the reservoir. I couldn't turn the wheel. He kept turning it hard with big noise. He even jacked the car up to turn the wheel. After 10 minutes.. the wheel turns na soft na.. but meron pa great noise even until now.

The technician said the noise is because of air in the rack and pinion. Totoo ba yun? kasi when he tried to drain the pressure hose with the steering pump running.. it's sucking in the steering fluid from the rack and pinion.. masira ba ang rack and pinion when you turn it without fluid??

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ung sa honda ko naman dati ayaw pumasok ng kambyo sa umaga .kailangan pang painitin ng mga 5 mins baga ka maka pag pasok ng kambyo..yan ba mga problema ng honda

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    Pinalit na kanina yun steering pump pressure hose... pero ito huge problem...

The steering fluid is blackish. I told the technician to drain it. He couldn't open the rack and pinion assembly tubes. So he tried to open the end of the pressure hose and let it drain there.. then he told me to turn on the engine.. he lets it drain while adding new fluid to the reservoir... this process emptied the steering fluid in the rack and pinion.

When I tried to turn the wheel.. the rack and pinion made a big noise. Later. After he screwed the end of the pressure hose and closed the reservoir. I couldn't turn the wheel. He kept turning it hard with big noise. He even jacked the car up to turn the wheel. After 10 minutes.. the wheel turns na soft na.. but meron pa great noise even until now.

The technician said the noise is because of air in the rack and pinion. Totoo ba yun? kasi when he tried to drain the pressure hose with the steering pump running.. it's sucking in the steering fluid from the rack and pinion.. masira ba ang rack and pinion when you turn it without fluid??
    kung blackish na yung power steering fluid malamang may problem yung steering pump.. baka mahina na ang pressure at lumalakas lang pang nag expand na yung power steering fluid. usually pag unang andar ng power steering may vibrating noise ka lang na madidinig habang napupuno yung buong system ng fluid lalo na pag bago yung high pressure hose na dapat mawala din.

hindi naman masisira yan rack and pinion kahit walang fluid.. ang masisira dyan yung pump pag walang fluid

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that happened to my sorento. flushing lang ng steering fluid kasi dark color na (same as in your case). wala na sa tamang viscosity yung fluid kaya matigas sa first few minutes. after napalitan ng fluid ok na ulit siya.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Yan talaga ang solution sa morning stiffness, you need to change the fluid.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Paano mag flush ng steering fluid...

yun service center na operating since 2011.. hindi sila marunong mag flush... the most veteran of the technician tried removing the end of the pressure hose... pero black pa rin liquid after na attempted flush...

dapat ba dalhin sa Honda casa for example para ma flush using machine?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast