New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    had my ps oil seals replaced a week ago. the problem is, whenever the steering wheel is turned fully to the left or to the right, there is a "whistling" sound that emanates. what's causing the sound?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    normally when the steering wheel is in full turn, you will hear a not so loud whining sound which is generated by the power steering pump, that is normal. But if the sound is more like a constant groan, there might be problems with your power steering system.

Sample, if the steering wheel is in full turn to the right and you hear the groaning sound but the sound doesn't appear when the steering wheel is in full turn to the left, vise versa, that normally means a problem with the power steering system.

It could mean anything from leaks, air in the system, which requires bleeding, or a bad power steering pump.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the whining sound is louder than normal and is audible whenever the wheel is fully turned to the left as well as to the right. my guess is that it may be caused by a defective pump, as what you've said . . . coincidental though coz the problem did not occur before when the seals weren't replaced yet.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    suggestion lang, have your system bled muna, baka makuha sa bleeding or have your pump check dahil kung minsan may mga components lang sa pump na dapat palitan. Not necessarily the whole pump.

HTH

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pano ba ang pag bleed? from what i know, the procedure is constant rotation of the steering wheel while the engine is on. am i right? i asked the mechanic about the bleeding thing, sabi nya hindi binibleed ang power steering system. re the pump, di ba buo yun at walang mga components except for the o-rings which should be replaced if there are signs of leaks?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry Pare, yung mekaniko ko ang nag-bleed ng PS ko. Turning of the steering wheel back and forth is just a portion of the whole procedure, meron pa syang ibang ginawa and I don't know exactly kung ano yung mga yun. Ayaw ko naman manghula lang ng sasabihin ko sa'yo.

As for the pump, baka nga yung o-rings lang.

Pardon if I'm not much of a help.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To bleed ps system, turn on engine, turn steering wheel slowly until it locks and hold it there for a few seconds. Do the same for the other side. Repeat twice then check reservoir for bubbles. Top off fluid to the correct level if needed. Repeat until bubbles are gone. 8) 8) 8)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lahat ng hydraulic systems dapat ibleed coz kung may hangin mas madali uminit yung oil... just like brake system.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    artpogi: on the contrary, you've imparted enough. tnx bro.

jorebo/theveed: tnx for your insights.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    artpogi: on the contrary, you've imparted enough. tnx bro.

jorebo/theveed: tnx for your insights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
[Merged:] Power Steering Problems (bleeding, etc.)