New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,

Just a quick question.

We have a 2003 Toyota Camry - with recently replaced shocks. Sinabihan kami ng Toyota Service Adviser that there's a special way of lifting cars with gas type shock absorbers so that they don't lock and wear prematurely.

Kinausap ko naman yung taga Bridgestone Chino Roces, sinabi niya that there isn't any real 'special' way of taking cars with gas type shock absorbers when lifting/mounting/dismounting the wheels. Then again, I don't think expert sila sa suspension.

Anyone who can shed more light on which is right? Had our Camry aligned sa Toyota nalang to be sure. The shocks are 10K a pop kasi, and the price difference for alignment isn't so large anyway. =/

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Hi all,

Just a quick question.

We have a 2003 Toyota Camry - with recently replaced shocks. Sinabihan kami ng Toyota Service Adviser that there's a special way of lifting cars with gas type shock absorbers so that they don't lock and wear prematurely.

Kinausap ko naman yung taga Bridgestone Chino Roces, sinabi niya that there isn't any real 'special' way of taking cars with gas type shock absorbers when lifting/mounting/dismounting the wheels. Then again, I don't think expert sila sa suspension.

Anyone who can shed more light on which is right? Had our Camry aligned sa Toyota nalang to be sure. The shocks are 10K a pop kasi, and the price difference for alignment isn't so large anyway. =/

there are cars with active suspensions that require certain procedures before lifting on a car hoist or jacking up from the ground. the common gas charged shock absorbers or struts do not require disabling the active suspension since it does not have one. some cars have a switch at the trunk that you turn off to prevent the struts from hyperextending and getting damaged

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Hi all,

Just a quick question.

yes sir meron special way of lifting for camrys. I went to DENSO for the magnetic clutch repair for our vios. after the job is done, on my way home and the right side of the car was noticably bouncy. returned to DENSO the next day and they confirmed the front right shock was busted. concerned for a customer, The supervisor explained that the repair was only on the magnetic clutch and no things were done/adjusted on the suspension/shock assembly.

Then he said that since it is already 5 years/100,000kms old, probably malapit na talaga sya magbust. natyempo lang that it may have leaked from the prolonged time it was suspended on the lift, causing the shock to bust. pero ok lang naman daw yun dapat kahit babad na nakalift yung vios. he did mentioned that there is only one car that they have special procedures of lifting, the toyota camry, maselan daw ang shocks nun. kung linift daw ng normally, it would degrade the camry's shock absorbers.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchet23 View Post
    he did mentioned that there is only one car that they have special procedures of lifting, the toyota camry, maselan daw ang shocks nun. kung linift daw ng normally, it would degrade the camry's shock absorbers.
    This is very interesting. Thanks you sir ratchet for the confirmation. Better nalang nga siguro if we have the car serviced nalang sa Toyota for our alignment / procedures needing lifting. Mas mahal ang shocks kesa sa small premium na binabayaran for the casa service.

I guess the next logical step is to find out how different this 'special' way of lifting the car is from the typical lifting.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    This is very interesting. Thanks you sir ratchet for the confirmation. Better nalang nga siguro if we have the car serviced nalang sa Toyota for our alignment / procedures needing lifting. Mas mahal ang shocks kesa sa small premium na binabayaran for the casa service.

I guess the next logical step is to find out how different this 'special' way of lifting the car is from the typical lifting.
    ako din di ko natanong kung pano pero it also puzzles me kung what is that "special" way eh what i've seen naman sa denso the lifts are all the same as the lifts you would see on CASA. the 4-point lift then the wheels are suspended. i was thinking maybe may nilolock or adjusted from the shocks prior to lifting.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We use similarly constructed gas shocks off road and there are some slow maneuvers that result on a tire lifting off the ground (eg when crossing moguls). But the shocks dont get damaged, and most of us are running run of the mill KYB shocks (the same guys that supply oem shocks to major manufacturers).

What shocks come with the Camry? I already lifted one using the jack. Hindi naman nasira.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The 2005 Camry of my grandfather is serviced by my brother or myself. We bring it to F.B Laddao for alignment once or twice a year and nothing happens afterwards. At 85,000kms, the shocks have been replaced once (fronts only, rears are still fine but getting too soft already).

The front shocks (KYB) was replaced at Wheelers Suspension Haus before. When we replace the rear, we'll have it done at Toyota as replacing the rear shocks requires disassembling the rear seats and there's a electric motor assembly for the rear seat and power visor which has to be moved and Wheelers isnt too familiar with it.

Gas Type Shock Absorbers (Toyota Camry)