New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In today's era of disc brakes, I'd just like to ask a bit about drums.

One of our nurses has an AE92 Corolla. Recently acquired and needs some servicing. We took it to the shop to get it serviced.

The front pads were new but the rotors had to be refaced (Php500/ea). The sliding pins also had to be pressed out the machine shop because it was siezed (I think it was Php300 for each front caliper?)

I'm not really familiar with servicing drums on Corollas so here goes. When the left rear drum was opened, the friction material on the shoe was no longer bonded with the brake shoe and the wheel cylinder was leaking badly.

Cost to replace the rear brake shoes were Php1,200 (RICO). The Kaisin brand replacement wheel cylinders were Php950ea. (need 2).

The car performed well enough after the work. Mechanic charged Php1,100 in labor. Total bill for servicing two front brakes and two rear brakes including parts, labor, brake fluid, grease and other oddments were Php5,500.00. Not expecting bargain basement prices, but do you guys think the price was fair? Thanks.

Some photos:

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I find the brake shoes pricey. I spent less than P500 for the brake shoe set for the B13 Sentra that i got at Fuji along Kamias and had Mang Dick install them (nahulog din yung lumang brake shoes when we removed the drums to clean them :D)

For the front rotors, mahal din yung refacing at P500 each since i think a replacement set would cost just about the same already or just a little more. I recall the standard charge for refacing at P 250 or P 300 per rotor before when i inquired at a shop.

Overall, i kinda find the total package spent to be pricey (IMO) at 5.5K.
    Last edited by vinj; May 15th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok. Di ko kasi alam ang pricing sa compact sedans. Usually light trucks ang nakikita ko. Yung shoes ay same price ng shoes ng Crosswind sa Fuji. Yun lang ang alam ko. Hehe. Replacement rotors ng light truck is around 1k also. Thought about just buying replacements but somehow thought that the oem rotors might be better made and were still thick.

First time to have wheel cylinders replaced also as well as see siezed sliding pins. Hehe.

But yeah, I always seem to get better deals in Kamias. Malayo lang kasi sa Sampaloc area and I needed our electrician pal to sort some things out.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The same job at Rapide would cost 6 to 7k.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    medyo mahal yung brakes shoes.

it seems na hindi inaalgaan ng dating mayari yung preno nya,
    hindi pa nga napansin na may leak na, hindi pa nga ata pinapacleaning kasi hindi binubuksan.

oh well, nandyan naman na yan,
    kung siguradong quality ang replacement parts and quality ang gawa,
    sulit na.

preno naman yan.

mas mapapaisip ako kung murang mura ang overall singil sakin.

but thats just me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    for me its fair... simple lang mag service ng brake.. ang mahirap lang dyan yung pang tanggal at pag kabit.. kung simpleng replace lang ng pads yan eh hindi overhaul ang ginawa... mura pa nga kasi nasa 300 pesos ngayon per wheel ang brake servicing

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Recent acquisition yung car. Mukhang pinabayaan nga ng dating owner. Hindi rin napansin ng new buyer.

Bago yung brake pads, R Spec brand. Hehe. Galing na sa former owner. The front brakes were sticking. There are times ayaw mag coast ng unit. Kala mo may anchor na nakadeploy.

Bite the bullet na nga lang. Don't want to skimp on the brakes pero limited resources din so can't exactly splurge on branded or OEM stuff.

Yung wiper high speed lang ang gumagana, walang high beams kahit ok ang bulbs, sira din wire for the license plate lamps, intermittent ang busina, etc. Pero naayos na din ng electrician kahapon.

Yung mechanic ok naman gumawa. Siguro lang mataas ang mark up niya sa piyesa in the name of convenience.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    labor charge was ok, considering 4 brakes yung ginawa. the spare parts are the pricey one. wheel cylinders cost P650 dito sa min, shoes naman at P500, but since nag-reface na ng front rotors plus new pads, pwede na.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung pang SUV, oks na yung price (presyong LC at Patty ka kasi ehehe). Price of convenience nalang din; i also encountered the same kind of pricing with a home service mechanic before.

At least oks na yung car. Pa-change mo nalang lahat ng fluid, linis at tono ng carburator, change filters, check cooling system and and put new spark plugs, good to go na yan; all for 10K or less.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    In today's era of disc brakes, I'd just like to ask a bit about drums.

One of our nurses has an AE92 Corolla. Recently acquired and needs some servicing. We took it to the shop to get it serviced.

The front pads were new but the rotors had to be refaced (Php500/ea). The sliding pins also had to be pressed out the machine shop because it was siezed (I think it was Php300 for each front caliper?)

I'm not really familiar with servicing drums on Corollas so here goes. When the left rear drum was opened, the friction material on the shoe was no longer bonded with the brake shoe and the wheel cylinder was leaking badly.

Cost to replace the rear brake shoes were Php1,200 (RICO). The Kaisin brand replacement wheel cylinders were Php950ea. (need 2).

The car performed well enough after the work. Mechanic charged Php1,100 in labor. Total bill for servicing two front brakes and two rear brakes including parts, labor, brake fluid, grease and other oddments were Php5,500.00. Not expecting bargain basement prices, but do you guys think the price was fair? Thanks.

Some photos:

something is not professional about this picture:
    the brake hose should not be clamped with a locking pliers (vise grips). this clamping effect damages the inner liner of the brake hose. there are hose clamps for this purpose that do not over pinch the hose to damage it. what the "mechanic" could have done was to plug the end of the brake line that connects to the wheel cylinder like what he had in mind: not to let the brake master cylinder and the lines run empty so the bleeding time is quicker. the locking pliers have too much damaging pressure on the hose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Drum brake servicing