New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by April_Ryan View Post
    Hi,

I drove right over a pothole along SLEX tonight (Magallanes area, near Shell station). Didn't realize there was one. Siguro speed ko was 50-60kph.

On hind sight, it might have been the area where orange cones are usually placed (not sure if there are diggings there or whatever). But there were no orange cones tonight so I just drove over it and I just heard a really loud thud. Parang may metal sound pa nga, so I assumed there were those rectangular/square shaped metal sheets which are placed over roads under construction.

I slowed down a bit but didn't stop kasi medyo madaming cars in the area and I didn't want to cause traffic. I said I'll just check when I get home.

Long story short, I ended up with a flat tire (rear tire) in East Service Road. Thank goodness for the nice folks in a nearby gas station and vulcanizing shop, I managed to have tire changed. Di lang yun, the tire was torn! I didn't have time to inspect the rim because I just wanted to get out of there so as not to cause any more traffic. Ang init ng tire sobra, unlike the other, working tires. I'm half afraid na baka na-damage din rim kasi malayo din na-travel ko (maybe another 1km or so, after the pothole).

When I got home, I turned off the engine and checked sa ilalim. Nothing hanging or out of the ordinary. I could hear, however, a ticking sound coming from underneath the car (front portion). My car is fairly new, so there aren't any of the usual sounds you hear from wear and tear, so I'm a bit concerned.

I will take the car to the service center to have it checked. Any thing I should focus on? Ano kaya possible damage and things I need to do, apart from buying a new tire?
    The ticking sound is your hot exhaust system starting to cool down. After expanding due to heat, it will contract na since its cooling down. Normal attribute of metal.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    severe driving condition talaga dito sa atin.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Just to share...

Happened to me three years ago. Front right tire fell into a rectangular drain hole the size of a two-burner stove. I had insurance cover it and repaired the car through casa.

In the end, the following got replaced:
    1. Tire
    2. Rim
    3. Control arm
    4. Sub-frame
    5. Lower ball joint
    6. Strut
    7. Assorted other items I can no longer recall

Total cost of the repair was a whopping P63k, but I only paid P3,950 for the participation fee, own damage.
    Did initial call with insurance broker. He said my claim will most likely not be allowed kasi tires lang may damage. Parang battery daw yan, not covered. Kung kasama daw rims na-damage, puwede

Here's how my tire looked pala:

The good news is, no other damage apart from tires.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Did initial call with insurance broker. He said my claim will most likely not be allowed kasi tires lang may damage. Parang battery daw yan, not covered. Kung kasama daw rims na-damage, puwede

Just use whatever tires your spare tire has as a replacement for the broken one then patch/vulcanize the broken one then use it as your spare tire. -- Won't work if your spare is just a donut though.

To be safe, have your underchassis checked as well for other probable damages. *knock on wood*

*renzo_d10, I went to casa to have car checked. Inangat nila car to check if there was damage, looked at suspension. ok naman daw. what does "underchassis" mean? Iba pa yun? Sa casa ko din pa-check?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You may want to consider having the wheels checked for alignment. Suspension damage is not always apparent to the naked eye.
    Last edited by oj88; November 21st, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012

That kind of damage is severe. This tyre is kaput. You can't use it anymore. Just get a good one. The thing is, Bridgestone Dueler H/T tyres are quite expensive. You're probably looking at around P9,000 each.

Only about 5,600++ at Bridgestone tire center, thank goodness

9. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    I ran over a pothole just this evening sa Marcos Alvarez. Surface wise di naman ganun kalaki kaya hindi lumubog masyado yung gulong ko, mga 15 inches siguro. Pero medyo malalim siya 3 inches, ako yung napaaray nung nadaanan ko. Chineck kaagad paguwi wala naman crack o bend sa rim. Natatakot ako baka unti unti nang nawawalan ng hangin yung gulong ko.(wag naman sana)

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ieddam View Post
    I ran over a pothole just this evening sa Marcos Alvarez. Surface wise di naman ganun kalaki kaya hindi lumubog masyado yung gulong ko, mga 15 inches siguro. Pero medyo malalim siya 3 inches, ako yung napaaray nung nadaanan ko. Chineck kaagad paguwi wala naman crack o bend sa rim. Natatakot ako baka unti unti nang nawawalan ng hangin yung gulong ko.(wag naman sana)
    just observe it, po. the tire will make its flatness known to you, in due time.
    have your suspension checked for alignment, if you are worried.

what would i do, if i were me?
    probably nothing. just observe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast