New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,

I drove right over a pothole along SLEX tonight (Magallanes area, near Shell station). Didn't realize there was one. Siguro speed ko was 50-60kph.

On hind sight, it might have been the area where orange cones are usually placed (not sure if there are diggings there or whatever). But there were no orange cones tonight so I just drove over it and I just heard a really loud thud. Parang may metal sound pa nga, so I assumed there were those rectangular/square shaped metal sheets which are placed over roads under construction.

I slowed down a bit but didn't stop kasi medyo madaming cars in the area and I didn't want to cause traffic. I said I'll just check when I get home.

Long story short, I ended up with a flat tire (rear tire) in East Service Road. Thank goodness for the nice folks in a nearby gas station and vulcanizing shop, I managed to have tire changed. Di lang yun, the tire was torn! I didn't have time to inspect the rim because I just wanted to get out of there so as not to cause any more traffic. Ang init ng tire sobra, unlike the other, working tires. I'm half afraid na baka na-damage din rim kasi malayo din na-travel ko (maybe another 1km or so, after the pothole).

When I got home, I turned off the engine and checked sa ilalim. Nothing hanging or out of the ordinary. I could hear, however, a ticking sound coming from underneath the car (front portion). My car is fairly new, so there aren't any of the usual sounds you hear from wear and tear, so I'm a bit concerned.

I will take the car to the service center to have it checked. Any thing I should focus on? Ano kaya possible damage and things I need to do, apart from buying a new tire?
    Last edited by April_Ryan; November 21st, 2012 at 12:38 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    You better check if your rim got damaged too.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post
    You better check if your rim got damaged too.
    have to agree with this. Check the Rims. YOur tires probably got a little warmer than the others because you may have driven on flat tires. Last time i had a traumatic experience driving over a pothole, my rim started leaking air slowly. Like after 3 days, ill have a flat tire already. Had the rims checked, there were cracks and "bengkong".

Yung rim ba = mags?

I will check tomorrow. At least maliwanag. Hope no severe damage to the car.

*poorprince, "traumatic" is a good word. Been driving a long time and this is the first time I've experienced this.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The ticking sound could be the normal sound on the exhaust of new cars as the metal expands/contracts. It also happens with the engine off

If it drove straight (no pulling) when you put in the new spare, then you dont have to worry so much,

Have the original rim checked at a tire shop if it is still truly round and not oblong.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ingat2 sir especially with the conditions of our roads. my damaged rim (mags) had to be repaired * a machine shop specialing in wheel damage. update mo kami sir. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The ticking sound could be the normal sound on the exhaust of new cars as the metal expands/contracts. It also happens with the engine off

If it drove straight (no pulling) when you put in the new spare, then you dont have to worry so much,

Have the original rim checked at a tire shop if it is still truly round and not oblong.
    The car seemed to drive straight when I drove the last 3-4 kms, so <fingers crossed>. Di pa naman naka-rims yung spare tire ko. Drat. Yun pala importansya nun. To be fair, my old car's spare tire had mags as well - but never used the spare much. Di mo talaga masabi.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Just to share...

Happened to me three years ago. Front right tire fell into a rectangular drain hole the size of a two-burner stove. I had insurance cover it and repaired the car through casa.

In the end, the following got replaced:
    1. Tire
    2. Rim
    3. Control arm
    4. Sub-frame
    5. Lower ball joint
    6. Strut
    7. Assorted other items I can no longer recall

Total cost of the repair was a whopping P63k, but I only paid P3,950 for the participation fee, own damage.

This is how it should look like (for reference)...

The damaged passenger side (the axle moved about an inch aft)...

Tire and rim damage...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    sir payo ko lang if ever you are driving on unfamiliar road mag pauna ka ng car sa harap at un ang sundan mo, observe mo din kung meron sha iniiwasan or tinamaan. slowing down to 60 or 50 is better and let other cars overtake you.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Nangyari sakin to dito sa Del Monte approaching araneta avenue (Roosevelt bound)

Buti nalang coming from full stop kasi malapit sa stop light.

Sobrang lalim halos kalahati ata ng gulong ko eh lumubog, nagulat talaga ako pag bagsak ng gulong diniretso ko padin pero dahan dahan na kasi tatama din yung gulong sa likod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast