Page 5 of 168 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    medyo nga nahirapan ako yesterday nung inuwi ko ang bike from the bikeshop,

my pickup has a canopy so pahiga na lang yung bike minus the front wheel

2. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by cta2
    heavyweights are coming... =)... Im one of them!

Thats why you should invest on the lightest bike you can get, coz my body is not helping making it lighter...

gulliver, how's your bike rack coming?

I had a bike rack before and each time I mount my bike at the back of my car, pagod na ako!
    cta2 / kimpoy:

a trend seems to be emerging here :D

as for the bike rack, Liezl at Extreme gave me one of their attachments to show to my fabricator, which i plan to do this weekend. sa totoo lang, and after reviewing the different options presented sa isang thread...strapping the whole bike down would have been the least troublesome & of course the cheapest . tulad ng sinabi ni cta2, nakakapagod din mag kabit ng bike sa rack!

but now, with my wife showing interest in getting a bike of her own, plus a friend wants to mount his bike on my pickup when we finally do go out trailing... i have to consider a rack again! i'll post a pix later to show you the attachment Liezl gave me and eventually the whole rack if the shop can make it.

kimpoy

a lot of nifty goodies on your new bike! i'm looking into possibly changing the tires in a couple of months maybe, pero anong brands ba maganda? noticed you have schwinn on yours, any particular reason why you chose them?

thanks!

3. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    this is the rack part i mentioned earlier...

http://www.pbase.com/image/17478340

kung paano siya ikabit w/o punching more holes into the bed is the question :?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    just mount the fabricated quick release in a steel bar, the steel bar's length should be the same as the width of your truck's bed... then just place, bolt, or weld more quick release sa steel bar depending on the number of bikes you want to place...

the only holes you should place on your bed is just to bolt the bar with the fabricated quick release.

Regarding tires: choose at least a Japanese brand (US and German ae better), Tires are a big factor on weight!... I actually have slicks on my mt. bike to reduce weight. Nubby tires are heavy and you loose speed on the road... of course kung downhill ka, use nubby tires!...

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    just mount the fabricated quick release in a steel bar, the steel bar's length should be the same as the width of your truck's bed... then just place, bolt, or weld more quick release sa steel bar depending on the number of bikes you want to place...

the only holes you should place on your bed is just to bolt the bar with the fabricated quick release.

Regarding tires: choose at least a Japanese brand (US and German ae better), Tires are a big factor on weight!... I actually have slicks on my mt. bike to reduce weight. Nubby tires are heavy and you loose speed on the road... of course kung downhill ka, use nubby tires!...
    thanks cta2! i'm trying to find out if a clamp-type system can be used, para detachable din ang bar. unless the bar set up looks good enough to stay on the bed "permanently"...hmmm... the material should be light but strong, not prone to rust, and with expandable capacity, hmmm....maybe if we invent this thing, we can patent it, market it and get rich! :D

re the tires, ok, but may stick to nubbies. wud like to use this bike on raw trails, away from the fumes :wink: by the way, u mentioned "downhill", meron pa bang ibang class sa mt. biking?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gulliver
    kimpoy

a lot of nifty goodies on your new bike! i'm looking into possibly changing the tires in a couple of months maybe, pero anong brands ba maganda? noticed you have schwinn on yours, any particular reason why you chose them?

thanks!
    actually schwinn lang "MUD" tires dito sa bike shop, eventually bibili din ako ng PANARACER

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Downhill race/class:
    They literally bring you to the top of a mountain and you race going down, mind you that this is rugged terrain and not just dirt!, you can literally fall down a cliff.
    Common specs of the bike if downhill:
    1. Disk Brakes
    2. Full suspension (front and rear), long travel
    3. 3 spoke mags
    4. full nubby tires
    --- they rarely mind weight coz its downhill... kung baga sa kotse, 4x4 to with lockers, and heavily modified etc!

Normal Mt Bike (epic trails) are used for endurance and travelling, uphill, downhill, flat, on off road... they are particular with weight!, usually hard tail (no suspension sa rear), optional pa ang front suspension.

Meron cross (half road bike and mt bike)... these are really light, parang roadbike with thicker tires (but smaller than mt bikes, like slicks). handle bars ng mt bike for easy riding compared to road bikes. Rarely my suspension at all (bt some models of cannondale have)...usual on road but bike can be carried on shoulders on VERY rough terrain... meron race para sa ganito.

Take note: Full suspension is actually a liability when travelling flat and uphill... the suspension robes some power on your legs... they were created for extreme trailing only like downhill

8. Join Date
    Jan 1970

Take note: Full suspension is actually a liability when travelling flat and uphill... the suspension robes some power on your legs... they were created for extreme trailing only like downhill
    cta2

that was one very informative post, thank you!!! so on the excerpt above, it would then make sense to stiffen up the front shock (which i already have, and don't want to let go of) if i expect to do mostly epic and cross trails, tama ba? then pag feeling ko mag downhill (suicidal) run, i should soften it up?

kimpoy

gusto ko na subukan ang UP. marami daw trails/roads doon na pangpatibay ng dibdib :lol: i think i-PM ko na yung cell # sa iba para may makasama naman ako na malapit. then sked naman tayo sa SF pag ready ka na, ok? :mrgreen:

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    if you have a variable front shock... really depends on you... parang kotse... soft if you want it comfortable, stiff for competition or downhill...

The liability I was referring is to is for the rear shocks... each time you pedal, the rear shock moves and will not maximize your power.... coz the gear and rollers (draillers) will also move up and down together with the rear wheel... some rear suspensions can be locked... this is done during epic trails or on road use.

Also, full suspension (rear and front suspension), no matter how expensive will still be heavier than a hard tail (no suspension sa rear) if created equal. (yours is considered a hard tail w front shocks)

Again, purchase a bike base on needs and not on looks!... hard core bikers look at the "grupo" rather than suspension.... of course madaming magandang full suspension bikes din!

10. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    is anybody familiar with the "Giant" brand of frames? how does it compare with Cannondale, Klein, etc. Thanks!

Mountain Biking...freespirited, and not-so-complicated fun