New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    there were warnings already over ADE (antibody-dependent enhancement) but Sanofi played it down
    ah!
    i think that is what one of the researchers meant.
    ...something like, "the evidence is there, but do not expect it to come knocking at your door. one has to actively look for it."

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by madball View Post
    WHO | WHO advises Dengvaxia be used only in people previously infected with dengue

1st infection - minor symptoms
    2nd infection and so on - severe dengue can happen. That's what the vaccine is supposed to prevent.

so during the large scale clinical trials Sanofi can't test every single one of the millions of kids and just used age 9 as the minimum assuming that by age 9 na-infect na (in dengue prevalent countries like PH)

syempre there will be those who haven't been infected yet but Sanofi took the risk nalang

maybe they thought the numbers would be small

a few deaths can be acceptable

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    so during the large scale clinical trials Sanofi can't test every single one of the millions of kids and just used age 9 as the minimum assuming that by age 9 na-infect na (in dengue prevalent countries like PH)

syempre there will be those who haven't been infected yet but Sanofi took the risk nalang

maybe they thought the numbers would be small

a few deaths can be acceptable
    in my opinion,
    it was a short-cut dictated by cost and expediency.
    unfortunately, it came back to bite them.

now we are getting an idea, why medical research is so very slow and very very expensive... but necessary!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ah!
    i think that is what one of the researchers meant.
    ...something like, "the evidence is there, but do not expect it to come knocking at your door. one has to actively look for it."

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008

uls,
    putol!
    puede mo bang i-paste yung entire message?

ah. ok na. i just googled it. unang-unang pa...

i think what they were saying was,
    the study was not designed to prove or disprove ADE...
    but my thoughts, as well as others', was that the evidence was there, and should have warranted a closer look...
    Last edited by dr. d; July 17th, 2019 at 11:41 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    there's a separate thread for this

Dengue Vaccine by 2016

i posted this in 2017

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    .... and since then madami namatay

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    in my opinion,
    it was a short-cut dictated by cost and expediency.
    unfortunately, it came back to bite them.

now we are getting an idea, why medical research is so very slow and very very expensive... but necessary!
    The previous admin did admit, it was a choice of either letting more people die (and be branded as noynoying again) when there was a vaccine available or approve the vaccine and save lives.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
    The previous admin did admit, it was a choice of either letting more people die (and be branded as noynoying again) when there was a vaccine available or approve the vaccine and save lives.
    while it can safely be predicted that the vaccine does work on a historical basis (translation: it saves much more than it kills),
    "that knowledge is not comforting at all, when it is one's child on the hospital bed, suffering from the vaccine's ill-effects".

while it seems nice that "it saved a potential 500 thousand children", it just seems immoral, that it killed a few hundred children in its negative effect...

history is impersonal, and can judge accordingly.
    but we humans are too personal to let it pass..
    Last edited by dr. d; July 17th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    while it can safely be predicted that the vaccine does work on a historical basis (translation: it saves much more than it kills),
    "that knowledge is not comforting at all, when it is one's child on the hospital bed, suffering from the vaccine's ill-effects".

while it seems nice that "it saved a potential 500 thousand children", it just seems immoral, that it killed a few hundred children in its negative effect...

history is impersonal, and can judge accordingly.
    but we humans are too personal to just let it go..
    On the flip side, there will be those who would say it was immoral to have denied a cure/vaccine to that child who was also dying in another hospital bed.

Like you I'm also in the business of saving lives, sometimes we can't save them all.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast