New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    or any big game hunting, meron ba dito nag hunt? anong rifle and maganda for beginners? airgun lang para siguro sa mga ibon...thanks saan makakabili?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ung tito ko namamaril sa may likod namin. hehehe. palaisdaan kasi. ung barkada ko naman dati ung airgun niya cinonvert, pwede gamitan ng .22.

sa mga toby's meron ata. ewan ko lang kung mura o ok.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I've done my share of this. The rifle that you would use would depend on the game you would hunt.

For example, if you would hunt quail or bato-bato, then a nice 12-gauge shotgun would do. Not the pump action, but the two barrelled, two-trigger version. See, quail and the lowly bato-bato take flight en masse. So, one quick and nicely placed buck-shot can bring down a number of birds.

If small, migratory birds lang, then a nice .22 caliber air rifle would do. Mas mura ang pellets ng air rifle compared to .22LR rounds. Today, there are three kinds of air rifles: CO2, penumatic and spring. To know the difference between the three, go here.

Nung naghu-hunting pa kami, I used to own two rifles: a Remington 504, chambered for the .22LR round (rimfire) and a Remington 700 BDL, chambered for the 223 round (center-fire). The rifle was good for big, migratory birds as well as wild fowl and, if you are a great shot, a small baboy-ramo. Both rifles were bolt action and both had variable Bushnell scopes.

For medium-sized game (like our local deer or a sizable baboy-ramo), then you would need a gun with a larger caliber. A good rifle of this kind would be a rifle that is chambered for the magnum round. An example would be the Remington 600, which is chambered to the Remington magnum round. My late uncle whom I used to hunt with had this type of gun. One of the best hunting (and sniper) rifle is the Remington 700, which has been around since 1962. For bigger game, there are bigger calibers. Iba't iba ang classiciation ng hunting rifle e.g varmint, big-game (yung pang elepant ang laki ng caliber), etc.

Hunting is all about stealth and patience. Nung dati, we spent hours lying prone waiting for game to come. Kapag kilos ka kasi ng kilos, naamoy ka at nararamdaman nung game, kaya lumalayo sila. Mas mailap, mas mahirap barilin. Luck also plays a great part. Kung malas ang pinili mong spot, kahit mag-hapon ka ng naghihintay eh wala ka paring nakikitang game. Hunting also tests all of your senses: sight, smell, hearing and feel. It is also about intelligence kasi there would be times you would have to...predict where your game would go (kung tumakbo) and where you would need to run (kung yung binaril mong baboy damo eh nakita ka na tapos hinahabol ka na).

Kung serious ka to try this sport, I suggest you read-up first regarding the discplines, etiquette (yep, may ganito sa hunting), best practices, equipment, permits, and the like. It would be good kung mag-simula ka muna sa air rifles para ma-praktis ka. Iba kasing bumaril ang pistol/handgun compared to rifles. Sa hunting kasi, there are a lot of things to consider - for example...wind drift, wind velocity, and the like that one has to consider to measure the correct distance to target to get a nice and clean shot off.

I don't have the rifles with me anymore but I have a spring-type air rifle with a Bausch and Lomb variable scope. I'm considering to get myself a lever-action Marlin rifle in the future, yung para bang 30/30 Winchester.

Good luck and happy hunting.
    Last edited by nicolodeon; October 11th, 2005 at 04:39 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    sayang bilihin ko sana yung bolt action na 223

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    for quail or bato-bato i use a 12 gauge pump action shotgun using either #5 or #8 shot, but most of the time i use the #5 shot. back home in subic (not sbma but subic, zambales) pre-pinatubo time, we use to do a lot of bird (duck/quail/batobato/kalapating bundok) hunting using shotgun, scoped .22lr and in some ocassion even an airgun. but for big game like wild boar and the ocassional deer we normaly use a scoped .223, but most of the time we just set trap (its not hunting per se... but hey... it gets the job done just the same ). there was even a time we had to put down a raging water buffalo about to skewer us with a 12 gauge slug! boy that debacle was settled quickly! however we had to pay for the buffalo as the owner came rushing with bolo in hand shouting all kinds of unprintable words at us hehe. anyway, for big game we normally get an aeta guide to bring us to our intended prey's habitat so we can set up a hunter's nest and wait for our quarry.

anyway, for the ocassional bird hunting/plinking, a scoped .22lr (marlin is a good brand) is hard to beat. so easy to get a license for these too.

*Shadow - are you into sports fishing? you're avatar suggest that you do. am an angler too.
    Last edited by amboy; October 11th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    For air rifles, any sporting goods store at the major malls have them. However, nearly all of them are CO2. I've yet to see a pneumatic or spring air rifle sold at a sporting goods store e.g. Toby's. You can also check out Hann Manila or local distributors of Armscor firearms. There are also a couple of good gun stores at Megamall, Galleria and at the Makati Cinema Square.

For beginner riflemen, a good book to read it Sam Fadala's Riflemans Bible. It teaches you the basics and guides you to the intermediary stuff. It also informs you about the different bullet types, casings, powders and the like used for rifles.

Good luck.

*Amboy - that buffalo thing would've scared me shitless. Good thing you had the gun.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    *Nicolodeon - i know what you mean actually it was a good thing a friend of mine who was holding on to the shotgun at the time had the presence of mind to put the beast down before it did any harm on us. kami... we were about to run at the time

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    does a .22 caliber airgun need a license? are airguns still the same as I remember na 1 shot then reload pellets? how about yun gas, ilan shots bago mag load ng gas? meron na ban ngayon airgun na meron magazine na pwede i load marming pellets then baril na lang ng baril untilmaubos yun gas?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    does a .22 caliber airgun need a license?
    Yes, you still need a license to own one and another license to carry one, if you're goint hunting. Pero, compared to bigger caliber rifles, mas madaling kuhanan ng license ang .22 rifle.

are airguns still the same as I remember na 1 shot then reload pellets?
    Yep.

how about yun gas, ilan shots bago mag load ng gas?
    Mga 10-11 shots. Yung 12th up to 15th eh mahina na ang magiging muzzle velocity dahil paubos na yung C02. That's why I own a spring-type air rifle. No CO2s to mess with.

meron na ban ngayon airgun na meron magazine na pwede i load marming pellets then baril na lang ng baril untilmaubos yun gas?
    Wala, kung after-market parts ang tinutukoy mo. Pero may mga kasama ako dati na namamaril na may...contraption na ganito. Magazine sya na naka-attach (in an angle) dun sa slot na paglalagyan mo ng pellet. Pag-hatak nya nung bolt, automatic na lumalaglag yung isang pellet dun sa butas. Pinasadya na ito sa gunsmith nya.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon
    Yes, you still need a license to own one and another license to carry one, if you're goint hunting. Pero, compared to bigger caliber rifles, mas madaling kuhanan ng license ang .22 rifle.

Yep.

Mga 10-11 shots. Yung 12th up to 15th eh mahina na ang magiging muzzle velocity dahil paubos na yung C02. That's why I own a spring-type air rifle. No CO2s to mess with.

Wala, kung after-market parts ang tinutukoy mo. Pero may mga kasama ako dati na namamaril na may...contraption na ganito. Magazine sya na naka-attach (in an angle) dun sa slot na paglalagyan mo ng pellet. Pag-hatak nya nung bolt, automatic na lumalaglag yung isang pellet dun sa butas. Pinasadya na ito sa gunsmith nya.

What kind of license do i need to own a .22 caliber airgun and to carry one? Also, where do i get this license here in the Philippines?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
bird hunting???