New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I've never seen a MiniDV videocam that used usb to transfer videos. Every single one I've seen used USB for still image transfers. All used Firewire/iLink for video transfers.

If you're going to use a tape format other than MiniDV, don't go any lower than the Sony Hi-8 format. From plain eyeballing, it's virtually indistinguishable from MiniDV. It's also proprietary to Sony. Of course, you'll have to buy a Sony Hi-8 camcorder.

But, MiniDV is so common, why get anything else unless you have a preference for the more expensive DVD disc or hdd storage formats?

With your Pentium 3, you should be able to make VCD-quality discs or maybe SVCD for a max. Anything higher and you risk audio/video sync issues. But, you still want to use firewire to transfer the video from camcorder to pc. So, invest in a good pci firewire card (if you don't already have firewire).
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 17th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    ftb96, the models you listed all have Firewire ports.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I've never seen a MiniDV videocam that used usb to transfer videos. Every single one I've seen used USB for still image transfers. All used Firewire/iLink for video transfers.
    Exactly.

We loaned the DCR-HC28 on a trip to Baguio, so that meant a lot of video shots. Intending to edit those videos for an AVP, we connected the camcorder to our ASUS A3L laptop (with AVID Express) using the supplied USB cable, and waited. And waited. And waited. The transfer status window didn't even move an inch.

We bought a Sony 4-pin i.Link cable and tried using that to connect the camcorder and the laptop. Much, much better, considering that the laptop only had a Celeron M processor. The only bum side is that the Sony cable is a bit pricey (2k!!!), which is why I'm wondering if a generic 4-pin IEEE 1394 cable will do just as well.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 17th, 2007 at 06:12 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    With your price range, you can get a decent minidv videocam. Sony and Panasonic are good brands. Just check out the malls especially during sale.

Our Panasonic MiniDV videocam uses USB to transfer videos and stills. We bought it last year, not sure of the model tho...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Exactly.

We loaned the DCR-HC28 on a trip to Baguio, so that meant a lot of video shots. Intending to edit those videos for an AVP, we connected the camcorder to our ASUS A3L laptop (with AVID Express) using the supplied USB cable, and waited. And waited. And waited. The transfer status window didn't even move an inch.

We bought a Sony 4-pin i.Link cable and tried using that to connect the camcorder and the laptop. Much, much better, considering that the laptop only had a Celeron M processor. The only bum side is that the Sony cable is a bit pricey (2k!!!), which is why I'm wondering if a generic 4-pin IEEE 1394 cable will do just as well.
    A generic cable is fine. But to cover my bases, I have 4-pin to 4-pin, 4-pin to 6-pin, and 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cables. If I buy a Mac with FW800, then it's yet another cable I need to buy.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Zero View Post
    With your price range, you can get a decent minidv videocam. Sony and Panasonic are good brands. Just check out the malls especially during sale.

Our Panasonic MiniDV videocam uses USB to transfer videos and stills. We bought it last year, not sure of the model tho...
    Then, that'd be the first one I've heard of. But if it's Panasonic, I'm not surprised. Panasonic does tend to include features in their products no other company would attempt. It was among the first to offer Divx, wma, SD card support, 3 ccd, etc.

I do know some DVD-based camcorders (Toshibas?) used usb2 for video transfers. But FW/iLink is still the most common method of video transfer for MiniDV camcorders.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    whats the usual recording time ba of a minidv.

if you want to record a seminar that is 4 hours, whats the ideal equipment to use?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    JAP, my mom had a JVC miniDV when she came over for a visit a few months ago. It had a USB 2.0 port for data transfer. I didn't get to try it because the CCD lens failed when I tried to use it. JVC UK will not repair it for free (it's a defect) so she had to take it back stateside for its repair.

The price of UK repair was so much that we ended up buying her a low-end Sony miniDV with only an i.Link port for transfers. It sucks the camera didn't come with a firewire cable. Fortunately I have one from my old A/D-D/V video converter.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I was just looking at some instruction manuals for JVC MiniDV camcorders. Although the models have changed, JVC still uses usb for still image transfer and firewire/iLink for video and still image transfers.

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...52-001B-EN.pdf

We're still using our old JVC DVL-510U which has still image capability and an SD card port. So, it has both a usb and 4-pin firewire port.

I haven't checked out yet the HDD or DVD models.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I was just looking at some instruction manuals for JVC MiniDV camcorders. Although the models have changed, JVC still uses usb for still image transfer and firewire/iLink for video and still image transfers.
    Parang ayaw mo maniwala, ahehe. Sabagay, I've only seen it once. Maybe I just didn't notice that there was a Firewire port.

I called my mom to ask for the model number, but unfortunately she can't remember where she put it, and was in a hurry to go out. I'll give her a call again tomorrow ... just to have a chat, really. She's been complaining that my calls have been less frequent even though I signed up for unlimited calls to the US (bless her).

In the meantime, you can browse the manual for another model, like the GR-DZ7US miniDV. http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T1314-001B.pdf
    Though this model has both USB and Firewire ports, it says you can also transfer videos recorded on tape via the USB port

---

Asus700 - There are different MiniDV tapes. The most common I think is good for 60 minutes. The longest I've seen is 90 minutes. But if you record on LP (on lower resolution) you can extend the time by 50% more, which isn't worth it, IMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Video camera less than 20K