New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    another question pala.

what is the best and affordable option if my laptop has no firewire/ilink port?
    You can always buy a PCIMCIA/PC Card Firewire card if your PC card slot is free.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ok so i bought the sony dcr-hc38 video cam already.

tested it and viewed the video using the TV and am quite satisfied (first time ko ito kaya mababa pa expectation :D)

i also tested the night mode and i am not really getting the image right in dark rooms. maybe it is only for low light light condition and not really for dark condition.

and finally, i tried using the USB to transfer the 40sec video i took but i am unsuccessful. it seems that i can only use i.link cable to transfer the video sigh

i may have to shell out additional money for the cable and adapter but if someone can show me how to use transfer videos using USB, i will be grateful :D

the user manual does not show how it is done.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    i also tested the night mode and i am not really getting the image right in dark rooms. maybe it is only for low light light condition and not really for dark condition.
    The Night Mode is essentially just an infrared view, so don't expect the same vividness you'll find in well-lit conditions. It's best for low-light to pitch black conditions (think Blair Witch Project).

Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96
    i may have to shell out additional money for the cable and adapter but if someone can show me how to use transfer videos using USB, i will be grateful :D

the user manual does not show how it is done.
    IIRC, Sony Handycams come with a CD software installer, which includes directions on how to transfer files.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    i've read the manual and installed the software.

the problem with the software is that it does not recognize the video cam connected by USB cable. it says i.Link

any solutions?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Got this description online:

USB streaming- Stay connected to family and friends by broadcasting live video with audio over the internet using the USB interface. You can even play back your favorite recorded scene on the camcorder's tape. It's like having your own video conferencing system .

i.LINK DV interface- A digital, high-speed bi-directional interface which provides communication between two compatible A/V devices. This connection allows for pure digital transfer between devices equipped with an IEEE1394 interface, such as camcorders, digital VTRs, capture cards, and PCs.
    As StraightSix already mentioned, the camera's USB interface is intended for Internet streaming only; the device demands an i.Link connection exclusively for photo/video transfers to computer.

The worst part is, the HC38 still utilizes the USB 1.1 standard; using it to transfer your video is an exercise in futility. I'm afraid you really will be needing that Firewire adaptor card.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; August 29th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ok tnx! now its clear to me.

i'll just get a cable and an adapter.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I also bought a Sony DCR-HC28 (after my daughter dropped my old JVC DVL-510U camcorder and broke the record function).

First thing I noticed is the lack of a USB port on the US models. It has 4-pin FW and composite TV-Out but no USB.

The lcd screen has touchscreen functions. Video quality is good. I then noticed there's no built-in light. I figured correctly that Sony uses low-light tech to compensate.

Here's a still frame from the test footage I made of its low-light capabilities. It's in the garage at night in total darkness. The "light" is the IR source only the Sony camcorder can see. Me, I'm fumbling in total darkness trying not to trip over all the shoes and slippers on the floor. The still is a headlight of the Sonata...

Not bad for an entry-level MiniDV camcorder. The Sony's also quite small, a little over half the size of the JVC:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 28th, 2007 at 10:46 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Video camera less than 20K