New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_d View Post
    I've also read that OpenGL used for some games is not supported out of the box.
    That's true. I'm still running Vista RC1 Build 5728 (from Sep 2006) also dualbooting woth XP Home. Doom3 runs fast. But, the graphics quality isn't up to full-speed yet. Video quality is akin to a 3d card from 10 years ago. Another OpenGL game, Pacific Fighters, refused to install at all. It's mainly a driver issue (ATI for me). DirectX games seems to run ok. Battlefield 2 and Command & Conquer: Generals/Zero Hour both run ok with no discernable slowdowns.

I haven't checked yet for new ASUS X800XL drivers..

Also, I'm still running MS Office 2000. It seems to run fine under Vista.

Some beefs with running Vista RC1. Creative Labs Vista drivers are pathetic. My Audigy 2 Value volume levels are so low I have to turn the volume contol of my Logitech Z-2300s over halfway just to get a decent sound. Luckily the built-in mobo Realtek sound is at full volume. So that's what i'm using with Vista.. Most other issues are with the ATI Vista beta drivers. I still don't have drivers for my video card ViVo functions.

I won't buy the retail Vista until June when this RC1 expires.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 2nd, 2007 at 12:01 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    ...i guess many people would still want to upgrade if they don't mind sacrificing a little bit of performance. After all you'll get a fancy and completely face-lifted user interface.
    I like the added apps like native realtime DVD read/write, a finally stable Moviemaker, a DVD burning app; something finally comparable to Apple's iApps.

Eye candy, I couldn't care less. My reaction to Vista RC1 was the same when first viewed OSX Tiger. I ooohed and aaahed for five minutes and then, MEH.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Thank God Microsoft will ship me 10 client license for Windows Vista Business Edition... Sulit din ang subscription ko sa Microsoft Partner Program kahit nagbayad ako ng 400 USD...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    ...i guess many people would still want to upgrade if they don't mind sacrificing a little bit of performance. After all you'll get a fancy and completely face-lifted user interface.
    It's a bit more than just a UI. A lot of the underlying code has changed.

Personally though it just doesn't seem that useful to upgrade until we see more new applications that actually take advantage of Vista. The first ones out will be games for sure, and some incredible titles like Alan Wake have already been announced as "vista-only".

I suppose "upgrade time" is when a vista-only title comes out that you really want/need.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    that's too much for a an operating system 20k+!

maybe MS oughta rethink their strategy on this now that Apple's OSx is slowly converting the US users. in december alone, 1M laptops got sold shipped with Mac OS X. Apple was so happy that they had 65% rise in gross sales compared to the previous year.

even in our own backyard, students from UP, ATeneo and La Salle crave for Mac-powered computers. in the local forums about Mac, im quite surprised na puro students from this schools na pala kausap ko hehehe.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tomorrow na yata ang launching ng Vista dito sa pinas. sa MOA gagawin. yang 20k+ na vista, basic palang ba yan?

OT: meron bang retail ng MAC OSX? how much?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Hmmm, nde ako sure, pero sa 20k yan na cguro yung Vista Ultimate. Vista Home premium would probably be about 10k, Home Basic around 5k. I'm not sure if they will release the Starter Edition here.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    tomorrow na yata ang launching ng Vista dito sa pinas. sa MOA gagawin. yang 20k+ na vista, basic palang ba yan?

OT: meron bang retail ng MAC OSX? how much?
    There is retail OSX. But, it'll only run on a Mac.

Vista prices straight from CNET:

"Pricing for full retail versions of the software will be Windows Vista Ultimate, $399; Windows Vista Business, $299; Windows Vista Home Premium, $239; and Windows Vista Home Basic, $199.

Upgrades from Windows XP are priced at Windows Vista Ultimate, $259; Windows Vista Business, $199; Windows Vista Home Premium, $159; and Windows Vista Home Basic, $99."

I hope no one here is dumb enough to buy the full retail versions. Most people I see with full versions of Windows have those that came bundled with the pc itself. Everybody else settled for the upgrade versions......

Even though I'm playing with Vista Ultimate RC1 right now, the retail Vista Home Premium Upgrade should be enough for me.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 2nd, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I hope no one here is dumb enough to buy the full retail versions. Most people I see with full versions of Windows have those that came bundled with the pc itself. Everybody else settled for the upgrade versions......

Even though I'm playing with Vista Ultimate RC1 right now, the retail Vista Home Premium Upgrade should be enough for me.
    Technically the vista upgrade versions will render clean installs of vista impossible and void the existing 2000/xp licenses they will be installed over but since microsoft left a gaping hole in the installation process, its almost like getting a full retail version minus $100+! http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...5011.html?Ad=1

I also agree that Home Premium is the sweet spot for most users myself included. Now if they could only figure out how to make vista's UAC less of a pain to live with...i mean osx's uac can be pretty intrusive at times but not rectal endoscopy invasive.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    About OpenGL games not running on Vista RC1..... I take that back. I just installed the latest ATI Vista Catalyst drivers dated Jan 29, 2007. Doom 3 doesn't just runs and looks fine, it seems quicker (than in XP) as well.

Under XP at 1024x768 AA off, full-screen Timedemo Demo1, Doom 3 has never been able to break past 90fps unless shadows are off and I'd get a framerate of 91-93 fps.

Now under Vista RC1, I have shadows on and the framerate jumped up to 103 fps. Shadows off and I get 105.

Add: oh, video card is an ASUS pci-e, 256mb X800XL ViVo

I also ran into a caveat..... It seems Doom3 full-screen under Vista doesn't like dual-monitor. I have to revert back to single-monitor, set Doom 3 to windowed, quit, and then return to dual-monitor. Then when I restart Doom 3, it works fine in dual monitor via windowed mode.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 2nd, 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Upgrading to Windows Vista