New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Should I turn off the APC UPS every time I turn off my PC? I have read somewhere that UPS should always be ON...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    UPS has rechargeable battery inside. If you want to keep the battery fully charged, leave the UPS on.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Should I turn off the APC UPS every time I turn off my PC? I have read somewhere that UPS should always be ON...
    It's OK to turn it off, but you don't have to. It's like an emergency light, you can leave it plugged in and switched on.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    UPS has rechargeable battery inside. If you want to keep the battery fully charged, leave the UPS on.

Quote Originally Posted by jettp0gi View Post
    It's OK to turn it off, but you don't have to. It's like an emergency light, you can leave it plugged in and switched on.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    *red_one and *jettp0gi,

Thanks for your answers. I have additional question: Should I still use an AVR? I have heard that the set-up should be: Outlet > AVR > UPS > PC, while some would say using an AVR is redundant... TIA

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    don't UPSs have a built-in AVR?
    i mean, their output is a regulated voltage, right?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    don't UPSs have a built-in AVR?
    i mean, their output is a regulated voltage, right?
    Not all, depends on the model.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    UPSes normally have built in voltage regulators.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So whether leaving it on or off has no effect on the power pack lifespan? I have this habit of turning it off for the weekend or long holiday.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Types of UPS:

(1) Offline/Standby - No voltage regulation. AC power is directly passed to PC. There are set points for large over voltage at under voltage situations. If voltage exceeds the set points, internal battery will be used for power. This is the cheapest UPS. Price is around P2,000.

(2) Line-Interactive - Has multi-tap variable voltage transformer inside that serves as semi-voltage regulator. (Note: The toroidal transformer inside a servo-type AVR is more precise and better than this.) There are set set points for large over voltage ang under voltage situations. If voltage exceeds the set points, internal battery will be used for power. More expensive than Offline/Standby UPS.

(3) Double-conversion/Online - Internal battery is used all the time so output voltage and frequency is much more controlled. Has faster response time during brown outs since battery power is passed to the PC at all times. More expensive than Line-Interactive UPS.

(4) Hybrid Topology/Double Conversion on Demand - Has the highest efficiency. can function as Offline/Standby and Double-conversion/Online depending on the power situations. Most expensive UPS type.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Turning your UPS off is ok as long as it's been fully charged prior to being turned off.

I haven't used an AVR on my desktop PC since I assembled it. More than 5 years na buhay pa rin ang power supply. Unless you're in an area that has really bad fluctuations, an AVR is unnecessary.

But if you really want to use an AVR then I suppose the connection should be:

Ac outlet - > AVR - > UPS - > computer

Do not use those cheapo, below 500 pesos avrs that come bundled with desktops. They're just glorified extension cords. Find servo type AVRs.

Tapatalked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast