New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Pls help... I am confused with the USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) of my PC since some would not be responsive when I attach a USB devise... Is there a tool or hardware devise that could check whether a USB port in a PC is busted or not?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Is the problem specific to a single physical port, or do you have the same issue in all USB2.0 and/or USB3.0 ports on the same PC?

What USB device or devices are you trying to connect?
    Have you tried other USB 2.0 or 3.0 cables?

What I have encountered is that a frequently-used USB port may get worn down to a point where the contacts no longer make a good connection. Usually, unplugging and reinserting the USB device solves it.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Have you checked the device manager?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    How old is the USB device? Some legacy usb hd drives dont work with win7

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I would use trial and error to determine if a USb slot is not working. But make sure your USb slots are enabled. Check it in the device manager as someone already said.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Is the problem specific to a single physical port, or do you have the same issue in all USB2.0 and/or USB3.0 ports on the same PC?

What USB device or devices are you trying to connect?
    Have you tried other USB 2.0 or 3.0 cables?

What I have encountered is that a frequently-used USB port may get worn down to a point where the contacts no longer make a good connection. Usually, unplugging and reinserting the USB device solves it.
    Use Windows Device Manager

In the "Device Manager" window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.

◦If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
    ◦If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
    ◦If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.

also in the device manager, you can see if the device is working perfectly or has errors.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    tutunog naman yan pag detected ung usb saka makikita mo sa right lower ng PC mo kung nag install ng maayos ang usb drive mo.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    Use Windows Device Manager

In the "Device Manager" window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.

◦If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
    ◦If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
    ◦If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.

also in the device manager, you can see if the device is working perfectly or has errors.
    Ang alam ko pag blue yung loob, USB 3.0. Pag puti, older version. Tama ba?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Some USB ports may look like they're not working because of corrupted drivers. A number of (front panel) USB ports on my kid's old Vista PC quit working after she repeatedly yanked out a USB device instead of properly ejecting it. Device Manager showed all USB ports were working. But, some simply won't open a USB device.

After I did an OS reinstall, the front USB ports worked again. The only way to really know which USB ports were bad was to plug in a USB device and see what happens.